Dish Hopper with 622?

asu_fan

Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
USA
Hi all, I just updated to the hopper with 2 Joeys. I have a roommate moving in with me in about a month and he owns a 622.

My question is, Can I add the 622 tuner to my package with the hopper? I heard someone say that you couldn't add anything other than a Joeys.

Thanks

And you have to own that ViP211 series receiver.

BUT he can have his own separate account and share your dish.

And you have to own that ViP211 series receiver.

BUT he can have his own separate account and share your dish.

Thanks for the info. I dont want him to have to pay for another account! Its a added bonus for the rent :)

I noticed that you can buy the 211K fairly cheap on ebay so I let him know about that option.

Thanks

Can anyone share the logic behind having to own the 211 to accomplish this?

There is none! Speculation was that the Hopper install is so so complicated, Dish techs can't hook up additional receivers. Yeah, right. So no other receiver types were allowed on the same account as a Hopper, at the time of the H2000 introduction. Later on, a little sanity prevailed for the 211 series, which was allowed because of the Tailgater. No other receivers can be used with the Tailgater, so insanity still reigns regarding the others.

There is none! Speculation was that the Hopper install is so so complicated, Dish techs can't hook up additional receivers. Yeah, right. So no other receiver types were allowed on the same account as a Hopper, at the time of the H2000 introduction. Later on, a little sanity prevailed for the 211 series, which was allowed because of the Tailgater. No other receivers can be used with the Tailgater, so insanity still reigns regarding the others.

Out of curiosity, why would you need a legacy dvr when you hand the hopper?

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

It does cut down on account stacking, I guess.

This may be the idiotic spurious nonsense "reason", but that doesn't fly with me any better than the Dish tech "reason". If we were account stacking, we could do so now with old receivers. Or we could continue to do so with multiple Hoppers. It just doesn't add up.

I think the multiple Hoppers on one account "converse" with one another and if long periods of silence result, somebody "phones home."

How many Hopper accounts don't have phone or Internet? Do they even allow that?

Seems a policy to reduce the ViP's out there, as well as unwilling to subsidize the increase installation costs to add one to a Hopper system. However, if a customer pays full retail for all equipment and cost and labor to make it happen, Dish should allow it because there are a lot of roommates and rent a room in a household situations when you do NOT want those people on your Hopper network.

As for account stacking: I'm not sure I buy that. The ViP would report the same IP address as the Hoppers (from the owners router) and even connection to a phone also provides against account stacking. I think Dish just wants to leave the ViP's behind. As long as the customer is willing to acquire the box and switches and labor for it, Dish should allow Vip's along a Hopper system with same account. Not doing so sure makes it stink for roommate and room for rent situations. And we may have such a situation occur.

This is a year-old zombie thread.
The policy decision is absolutely to prevent account stacking. You don't have to have your VIP receiver hooked up to the network. It gets everything it needs (except most VOD) via the satellite.

Reactions: KAB
There are isolaters that can be used on a hopper system so other users on the same network can't view or share content between hoppers and/or joeys.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts