Dish in Motorhome

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

css_139

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I'm trying to decide on my satellite system for my motorhome. I want a DVR to use while traveling down the road. Does the Dish 622 require that it is pointed to a satellite while using the DVR?

For example if i am driving it down the road and have one of those retractible dish 500s collapsed, will the DVR still work?

Or should I get one of those autotracking sat. antennas with 1 LNB and keep a dish and tripod for when we arrive?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

I have taken my 622 camping with us. With the Hard Drive, they are more easily damaged getting moved around. You would want it powered off if traveling.

You have to hit 3 satellites to get everything. you could bring a portable 500 and hit 119 & 110 and have your onboard Dish hit 61.5 or 129. Can you get a Dish Pro single for onboard ?

Then run it into a switch and run that into your receiver.

I have also taken a 500 and Hit 119 and 129 with it, you do loose a few things by not having 110..

I would make sure you carry service on your account if you are going to haul the 622 around.

I don't agree with the blanket admonition about not running a DVR while driving down the road.

What was said about ruining a drive when the RV hits a bump is true but mounting the 622 on a nice shock-absorbing piece of foam rubber would offer a lot of protection. Then as the driver you do need to watch the condition of the roads you travel. A majority of the interstates around here are pretty bump free. No so much county roads and a lot of streets.

Certainly running a harddrive in a moving vehicle is a risk but some smart planning and attention to conditions can reduce the risk to a great degree. I know folk who have run desktop computers in their RVs for years without incident.

But do look into ways to cushion it but be careful not to restrict the airflow with smothering foam. Heat will kill the drive as fast as bumps.

No, you don't need a dish connected to view recorded material.

I had never tried to play DVR content without a signal, that would be a great deal if camping in a more wooded spot and unable to obtain a signal lock !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)