Dish Inside Screened-in-Porch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcashell99

Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hi all, I love reading the posts in this forum and this is my first one I have made, so here it goes.

I am relocating to Savannah, GA to take a new job and the place I plan on living in has all of its porches screened in (I guess the bugs there are outrageous). The people in the leasing office assured me that the screens aren't a problem and other people have dishes set up on their porch using a tripod or a bucket with cement and a pole in it or whatever. My question is, how much of an effect will the screen have on my signal strength, if any? I'm thinking I should experience a slight degrade in signal strength but possibly not enough to notice. Anyone out there who has this situation and has some feedback for me would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!

What material is the screen made of? If metallic, then I'd say no. However, some fabric type materials may pass the signal.

I'd visit one of the people with a dish inside a screened porch and check their signal strengths.

If possible, mount the dish outside.

Metallic screening will kill satellite signals. Fiberglass/nylon will cause only slight degredation of signal. You also need to stay well below the roof so it dosen't kill signal.

Dang!

I was going to say all that.
Plastic screen ..even fiberglass works...clear glass.

Good thinking,

Joe

Yeah I'm not sure if the screen material is metallic or not, but I'm guessing its non-metallic since the people working there said other people have dishes in the complex. I'd be weary about going up to my neighbors and asking to see their signal strength because who knows if their dish is even aimed correctly. I set up and aim my dish whenever I move now because I've found I can do a better job myself than most installers do!

I have lived most of my life just up the road in Charleston, and can attest to the value of screened porches. :) See the attachment below for a close up view of the South Carolina State Bird...

Welcome to the Low Country!

Attachments

• color_mosquito.jpg
    color_mosquito.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 281
(I guess the bugs there are outrageous)

I have lived about 50 miles inland from Savannah all my life. Wait until you experience Sand Gnats(not talking about the minor league baseball team either) for the first time! You will be thankful for the screnn porch.

That is if you can stand to sit outside in 90+ temps with 90+ humidity! Takes a while to get accustomed to.:)

Just to give an update to this post..

The installer came out the other day and set up my dish inside my screened in porch. After he was done I ran through all my signal strengths and they all seem to be very strong. It doesn't look like the screen is blocking the signal to me, and if it is, its too small to detect IMO.

rkick you weren't joking about the temps and humidity, good grief!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)