Dish Install---Asked for 922 said it was no longer Available

I had a 721, purchased after they fixed the SW. And, it was great. Way better than any 5xx series DVR.

I know I loved mine. In fact, I loved all 6 or 7 that floated thru my home. When it wasn't having power supply or HDD problems, it was great!

And toward the end of its life, the 921 became quite a good receiver.

The 942 may have been good but IMO should never have existed even though it was what the 921 should have been. When the 921 came out we knew Dish HD was going to switch from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. The next receiver therefore should have been capable of MPEG-4 but the problems with the 921 were so great another MPEG-2 receiver was rushed to market to stem the exodus of subscribers.

My install went flawlessly. Installer took down my old (improperly installed) directv dishes and mounted the two dish network dishes properly. All receivers activated quickly. I like the on screen menus. I have to explore more later. Special thanks to Matt from the DIRT team for his additional help!

I understand the frustration for those that bought the 922, but I can't understand the surprise or whatever it is that the 922 is going away. Dish has never had any sort of "premium" receiver for more than a short transitional period.

It's been pretty obvious since CES 2010 with the announcement of the Sling adapter that the 922 wouldn't have a real place in the Dish line up. When the 922 was not the "standard" receiver by the beginning of 2011 or so was another sign. The only question in my mind was whether the 922 would morph into the base for a whole home solution. In May when the XIP series was announced the 922s death was all but certain. The announcement a couple of months ago of free upgrades was the last dyng gasp as they started to use up the existing inventory.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 922.JPG
    922.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 122
I understand the frustration for those that bought the 922, but I can't understand the surprise or whatever it is that the 922 is going away. Dish has never had any sort of "premium" receiver for more than a short transitional period.
In reality the 622 was not a long lived receiver either, the 722 then the 722K came along and suddenly the 622 was NLA. From what I read there are still many in use though, and so it may go for the much lambasted vip922.

Didn't one of the VIP boxes, maybe the 622, have a failure prone HDMI port?
Mine had no HDMI issues, it did have audio sync problems among other issues, (rebooting, lost recordings, freezes)....sound familiar? Some were intermittent....my favorite thing....later a software upgrade seemed to fix it. Those issues steered me to this site and others.
When the 922 was offered I signed up, which was more of the same, but more interesting and more expensive.....I suppose I'll move on to Hopper and Joey when they're available.....:facepalm

Some early ViP622 units had physical problems with the HDMI port. Eventually, mine went also and that's when I got my first ViP722.

I had a 721, purchased after they fixed the SW. And, it was great. Way better than any 5xx series DVR.

Yes, once it settled down I also really liked it and thought the UI was better than the current UI. However, the only thing that really made the 721 PITA was that it was NOT name based recording. Had been NBR, it would have been a really close to perfect dual tuner SD DVR (we use our TV2 dual mode for recording content to DVD while we still can watch TV 1 in HD and also distribute other TV2 channels for occasional independent use, so the 721's support for ONE TV--yes, it did have a Ch 3/4 output, but not the same as the multiple TV2 experience we have now--was also a bit of a negative).

I really liked the Weather banner. It was aesthetic, instant, and very usable, handy, and I used it EVERY DAY. One didn't have to go to that stupid Dish Home portal to wait just to check the weather, and I am a but nonplussed that Dish couldn't have the same feature with the subsequent DVR's. The only really big thing the then new 522 and subsequent 625 had over the 721, IMHO, was Name Based Recording and I thought the UI was a step DOWN from the 721.

Remember, the 721 also came with some games preloaded and FREE of charge. I did, in fact, play them on occasion and really do miss that somewhat. The TiVo's I have also have preloaded games and I admit to occasionally having fun with them. I know; for shame on me, but sometimes you just want to veg-out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)