Dish Install Help

shakti4u

Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Hi just joined the forum and I am glad this area exists for DISH customers

Here is the issue and hope someone can shed some light

Last week the DISH folks installed an 811 and a 522 along with a DPP44 switch which is connected to a Super dish and a Dish 500 (for the must carry +CBSHD). I then requested for an additional 811 which they came out today to install and the problems starts

The 811 would go through the switch check get the satellite signals but fails at the program download and then shut down, they went through 3 DISH 811's with the same end result. Please note the power inserted was never installed because with the 811 and 522 it was not required. We proceeded to test with the power inserter in place between the DPP44 switch and the new 811, still no luck.

The guys have left and re scheduled for another day. In the mean time any thoughts on what is going on.

1. Should the power inserter be between the DPP44 Switch and the 522 (Please note the inserter is in position 1, per the directions on the DPP44 Switch)

2. Should we try only one output to the 522 vs the two and then separate at the 522 to feed the two tuners (I have read posts here about this)

3. Can't believe the 3 811' are all bad. but I am leaning towards that theory since my existing 811 had no problems connecting in the new room where the new 811 was going

Thanks for all the help.

SK

Try putting one of the 522 inputs on the inserter and do a check switch. If all is good, then hook the 811 to one of the other inputs, cancel out of any screen(s) which come up and do a check switch and then see if it stays up.

The 811 may reboot itself if it's downloading a software update. If it still acts funny, then with the unit on, hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so. After about that time (while holding down the button) it should turn off and do a hard re-boot. See how it works after that.

I've never heard that you did not need the power inserter on the dpp44 if you had these receivers. Anyone else confirm or deny that?

What is the correct way to connect 2 811's and a 522 to a DPP44 Switch

a. Should any of the 811's be in the 1st output
b. Should the 522 be on the 1st output
c. Should the power inverter be included in the setup. I found no effect with or without , with a single 522 and 811 (my current setup)
d. Should the existing receivers be off (or standby mode) when installing the new 811 so that it can complete the satellite acquisition

To reiterate the problem we faced with the 2nd 811 was after the switch check and then going though the satellite steps the unit shuts down. This happened on 3 units and the installers finally gave up and left!!

Re scheduled for this Friday but frankly I do not know what they will do different!! I can't believe that 3 811's were all bad. There must be some hardware configuration or sequence we probably need to follow

Thanks
SK

On any switch when using a dual tuner box, E* recomends using adjacent ports, like 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 for the dual tuner box. It should not make any difference which line has the power inserter, but I am wiling to bet that the switch is bad since it was used without the inserter. Regardless of whether it works without it or not, for warrenty sake, you should have the inserter plugged up at all times.

The switch should be okay, I have the 811 and the dual feeds to the 522 that seem to be working for the 3 rooms

The inserter is plugged in since the installers were here last week. Just weird the installer that came out to swap out the 34 with the 44 (so that I could add a second dish) said the inserter was not required. The second installers that were here did not even know the 44 needed the inserter and only plugged in (I guess they thought, what the heck) when I told them do you think we may need this!! Boy Dish installers..!! why do they always have a lackey following the lead and the lead guy sucks too. I think the posters here know a heck lot more than these folks :)

I'll keep you posted about my upcoming install..I hope its not the switch, took me 3 weeks to get one of these babies!!

SK

generally speaking, you are correct - the folks here are good. Just remember, a lot of us are ALSO installers and office slugs. Just saying not all of them are bad. ;)

Simple Simon,
Seen a lot of your posts. What do you think the prognosis is? Perhaps I could educate the next team that gets here and be educated in the process
Do you think the switch is faulty. I even tested the 522 on the power inverter line (Line 1) and it passed the switch check and the satellite acq and download of the program index As of now I have left port 4 open awaiting the 2nd 811. Should I disconnect Line 2 and instead have them separate Line 1 at the receiver to feed Sat 1 & 2. This is the only scenario left. They were hesitant to do this the last time and said they did not have a separator on hand.

thanks
SK

Well, first, you shouldn't have any problems with this setup.

The DPP44 does require the power inserter. Receiver on that port shouldn't matter. If you're going to use the DPP Separator, it MUST be closer to the receiver than the power inserter, so to keep it simple, don't put the 522/Separator on port #1.

With your setup, and using the Separator, port numbers should NOT matter.

You don't mention diplexers for OTA, and that's good - keep them out of the setup at least for now.

Finally, the DPP44 might need a 'reboot' - disconnect ALL receivers from it - or pull power on ALL receivers and the inserter. The LNB power supplied by a receiver will prevent the switch from resetting. This last is partially speculation, but other posts I've seen have been favorable.

Good luck!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

I am using a DPP44 with an 811 and 2 301's. The Power inserter absolutely is required and should be installed on Port 1 to the switch. Also take note that E* recommends putting the FSS LNBF on port 4 of the DPP44. If you need the DPP44 manual I have it, but it sounds like you already have one.

Make sure you clear the switch memory as Simon has described.

Jason
Super Dish + D500
DPP44
Sats 119, 110, 61.5 and 121

SimpleSimon,
I reset the switch. My current setup is as follows
811 on port 1 with the power inserter
522 - Sat1 on port 2
522 - Sat2 on port 3

Only question is should the power inserter be closer to the switch or the receiver
Now awaiting the installers. Hopefully they will bring a truck load of 811's :)

Thanks to all the posters that helped out, keeping my fingers crossed

SK

Tell them common sense should tell them if they swapped out three rcvrs witht he same problems.. that it's not the rcvr.

How far away from the switch is the fourth rcvr?

shakti4u said:
Only question is should the power inserter be closer to the switch or the receiver
Doesn't really matter. I originally had it at the switch in my basement, but I moved it to the receiver when I added a UPS to my home theater.

I tried two scenarios

a. the Second 811 was swaped out for the 1st one and it failed to download the program info
b. it was then placed in the room adjacent to the 1st 811 I would say the distance from the switch to both receivers are the same coming from the attic and it still failed

I will reset the switch one more time before they arrive and also make sure the 522 feeds are from 3&4 per one poster above keeping the two 811's on port 1 & 2
I will also make sure all other receivers are in either standby mode or disconnected from power so that the 811 has no other potential interferences and has the power inserter attached closer to the receiver..

Thanks again for all the responses

SK

Resolved

Okay here is the solution. The installer was out here today and ran into the same problem i.e the 811 would shutdown after the switch check and during the satellite program download and he had to call a senior trainer for advice
On his 2 way radio the senior trainer confirmed that the 811 were flaky and required a rather cluegy process

Step 1: Run the switch check without the receiver connected to the switch and wait for it to come back to the satellite signal screen. Obviosuly it will be red on all the satellite ports with no signal
Step 2: Connect the receiver to the switch and then try to obtain a signal by playing with the transponder and the satellite, usually 119 and 11

Step 3: Cancel out of the screen and then the receiver tries to go through a 38 step process. (I think its trying to reset and download all the software again). can somebody fill in on what's going on in this step.This was the crucial step. Takes about 40 mins to complete

Step 4: Actaully not a step but after the above process the reciever tries to download the satellite program..sorry but I did not have a screen shot, but this is the step that you would have been on if everything was done as normal. The minute we saw the green bars we new we were good. Takes about 20 mins to complete

Step 5: You will get a message that the reciever is not activated, you call Dish with the serials etc....

Thanks to all that helped here
FYI the dishpro power inserter played no role, i.e the switch worked with or without this piece. however my setup has the inserter and per the installer is req, although he was baffled to as to why the whole setup worked even without the inserter.

Sounds like they may be having problems with new receivers taking the d/l from the DP+44. They had a problem with 721s taking a d/l from a DP Quad before. Actually, E* used to recommend downloading the receiver from the 119 with no switch installed. They used to tell you not to run a switch check before downloading............

What larry said. :)

As for the post prior, "Step 3" sounds like Legacy switch detection as in "Test ## of 38". It should NOT take anywhere NEAR 40 minutes. IIRC, the test timeout is 10 seconds, so we're looking at a little over 6 minutes maximum.

Finally, the "senior trainer" was telling you to do part of the generic cure-all "switch matrix reset" that is often mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)