Dish Install Loacation????

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Hopefully somebody can help me out here.

We were one of thousands who went thru Wed nights storms in the Dallas area. Our house didn't fare to well.. Fence gone, trampoline tossed on neghbors roof, chimey damage, etc.

Insurance has determined the roof is a total loss and since it is a cedar shake with composite overlay, the entire roof has to come off and replace with decking and new shingles. A BIG job!

My question is... Dish re-location and mounting. As you can see in the pics, I still have 2 dishes, but maybe I can convince them to just put up one D1000.2 and that should solve my 'double dish' problem (a whole nother topic).

Anyway, I really don't want the replacement dish screwed into a brand new roof. Rather, I would like to have it mounted on the chimney. I know in the old days with regular TV antenna's there was this metal band that went all around and was made to support a small mast.

Is this possible? Would an installer find some way to mount this on the chimney - that way it is out of sight of the neighbors (won't be seen from th front of the house) and would be the preferred way. If they did that even the cable runs would be considerably shorter to the swith in the attic.. The only issue I can think of is grounding wire.... Can they use a steel natural gas line in the attic to ground to or does it have to be like a separate metal rod into the ground over by the existing tele, power, cable connecctions??

Expert input would be appreciated. - And, is this something (either way) that Dish will charge to come do/redo?

PICS OF THE DAMAGE - OH a good 'plug' for Dish is that despite the wind damage, the next morning all the TV's came on just like they always did! :D

dish2.jpg

tornado.jpg

Yes you can get by with a single dish. I wouldn't put the dish on the chimmney, if the roof is wet, you won't get a tech to step onto it. At the very edge of the roof, where it is now, doesn't look like living space, its mounted at the best place now. Or, start digging and put it on a pole.

I'd place the dish mounts on the rake board at the back corner of the house. That way, there's no need to mount onto the roof. Just move the dishes back to the right in the bottom photo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts