Dish install was today not too happy

drock85

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I just got my dish 1000 installed for my 622. The guy that came to install it said he never installed a 1000 before and I could tell. After he was done he checked the signal. 110 and 119 were around 100 which is good, but 129 was at 50. I told him that seemed kind of low and he said that's the best he can do. I checked some of the channels and they came in. So I left him go. Well I went to ESPN2 and the screen started to pixelate and the receiver froze up. When I tried to change the channel it went to a black screen and all I could hear was the audio. I tried everything I could think of to get it back but nothing worked. So I did a hard reboot and the picture came back. I noticed on two or three of the other voom channels that it was pixelating too but not as bad as espn2. Well anyhow I called tech support the guy was very helpful he said that 50 was low for 129 and that I should be getting at least 80. He said he would have someone come on thursday to fix the problem. He even put in the notes to send a district manager I believe he said. So I know I'll be getting the top dog. I asked about just having a second dish installed and he said that was for the extreme north that I should be able to get 129 without a problem in PA. Well I hope the guy that comes on thursday knows what he's doing and can help me. Even though I have trouble with a couple of the stations the other hd stations look great and I can live without espn 2 and two other voom channels until he comes. Well thanks for reading this hope others have a better installer then I did.

Depending on where you are in PA, you'd be right on the edge of the dish 1000 cutoff.

See this map:
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/Dish1000Exclusions.jpg

Now, its still possible to get 129 from those areas, just that theres more chance of a tree or other obstruction since 129 will be pretty low in the sky. Heck, I'm on the east coast and can still (barely) see 148!

If they can't get the strength on 129 any higher, get them to do another dish at 61.5.

Yeah I hope they can get it past 50. And speaking of trees there is a couple of trees where the dish is pointing, a couple yards away. If they can't get it above 50 will they give me a second dish for free? When I mentioned it to the tech guy he said I should be able to get a strong signal with the 1000 and there was no need for a second dish. Oh and according to that map I am able to get 129. I'm in the south central part of PA. Right where that area is white on the map.

Last edited:
It may be hard to get above 50 from 129 while still maintaining good signals on 110 & 119 from that far east. If they peak on 129 it may be better, but then you will lose strength on the other two.

I second the 61.5 recommendation. You should get good strong signals from 61.5, up in the 90s.

same thing happened to me today. installer installed the 622 and dish 1000 and couldnt get higher than 50. I am in Austin Texas....Saw some pixelation.....

drock85 said:
I just got my dish 1000 installed for my 622. The guy that came to install it said he never installed a 1000 before and I could tell. After he was done he checked the signal. 110 and 119 were around 100 which is good, but 129 was at 50. I told him that seemed kind of low and he said that's the best he can do. I checked some of the channels and they came in. So I left him go. Well I went to ESPN2 and the screen started to pixelate and the receiver froze up. When I tried to change the channel it went to a black screen and all I could hear was the audio. I tried everything I could think of to get it back but nothing worked. So I did a hard reboot and the picture came back. I noticed on two or three of the other voom channels that it was pixelating too but not as bad as espn2. Well anyhow I called tech support the guy was very helpful he said that 50 was low for 129 and that I should be getting at least 80. He said he would have someone come on thursday to fix the problem. He even put in the notes to send a district manager I believe he said. So I know I'll be getting the top dog. I asked about just having a second dish installed and he said that was for the extreme north that I should be able to get 129 without a problem in PA. Well I hope the guy that comes on thursday knows what he's doing and can help me. Even though I have trouble with a couple of the stations the other hd stations look great and I can live without espn 2 and two other voom channels until he comes. Well thanks for reading this hope others have a better installer then I did.

Another installer with a sh!tty attitude....Great.....What really bugs me is I take the time to tweak the dish for the best possible signal..i have to comppete for work with these fly by night a**holes who do sh*t work and get twice the volume completed in a day because they cheat like crazy.....And it's like nobody wants to run their sorry asses out of the business.....
Sorry for the profanity but this really burns my rear end.....
That kind of crap is inexscuable..Make sure Dish DOES NOT try to charge you for the trouble call.......

I live in Lancaster, PA and my installer put up a 2nd dish. I was actually hoping to get a 1000 installed to see if it cleared up my PQ a bit. Anyhow, I wonder if he should have put up a 2nd dish in the first place.

dishcomm said:
Another installer with a sh!tty attitude....Great.....What really bugs me is I take the time to tweak the dish for the best possible signal..i have to comppete for work with these fly by night a**holes who do sh*t work and get twice the volume completed in a day because they cheat like crazy.....And it's like nobody wants to run their sorry asses out of the business.....
Sorry for the profanity but this really burns my rear end.....
That kind of crap is inexscuable..Make sure Dish DOES NOT try to charge you for the trouble call.......

Come to Detroit, our subs are down to %10 work and we are taking the bulk now, but it means we are working even more hours, going out with more work, and have less time to focus on doing the type of job your doing down there in NC so count yourself lucky that you arent here becuase it sucks.

I am of course in S E pa and I get 122 on 119, 108 on 110 and 95 on 61.5 but I would be hard pressed to get 129 on account of it being very hilly country.

mt_hawley said:
i installed my own dish 1000 and my signal is 129/80 110/90 119/90 im in peoria IL

That's the strongest signal I've seen reported yet for 129. But those are rather low numbers for 110 & 119 for that area of the country. You should be able to beat that 119 number by 25 points. However the overall effect is probably pretty good, you might see a few more rain dropouts from 110 & 119, but with a tradeoff of not having as many from 129.

Still, a dual D500 set up would definitely beat it.

It definately sounds like the D1000 was peaked on the 129 instead of the 119. NE Ohio will typically get 110/105...119/110...129/80. Those are averages based on a dual-tuner install. Add about 5 or 10 points on the 110/119 for a single tuner and MAYBE 2 points for the 129

110/110 119/125 129/81 Dish 1000 61.5/ 104 Second dish (110 & 119 where Spotbeams mid 80's on transponders) I am near San Diego California......They did have to come out a second time though it was the installers first 1000, I was only getting 65 on 129. everytime it would rain I would lose it.

Last edited:
Well the same guy came back today. I was hoping they would send someone else. Well anyhow he came and installed a larger poll said he thought this might raise my signal. Well after he was done we checked the signal and 129 was still around 50 but it was a little higher but not too much. I think the highest I saw it was 58. 110 and 119 were both around 100 so that was good. He wrote it up on the paper that he just adjusted the dish. He said that if they knew he put another pole up that they would charge me for it. So that was nice of him. We'll see the next time it rains if it goes away or not. Do you think that rain spray stuff would help any? I saw it on dishstore for 20 bucks.

drock85,

The sprays that purport to help with rain fade are a scam, it is snake oil, save your 20 bucks.

Others may disagree, but science doesn't lie.

Assuming the aim is right on, and there is no LOS issues, only a bigger dish can help against rain fade.

Last edited:
If you do a quick 5 minute install, then Yes you will get 50% on 129. I did mine about a month ago and it took me as a professional installer to peak out 119/110 over 100% and get 129 to 80%

The Dish 1000 is a real pain in the ass to align

I am in Reading Pa. The dish installer i had was a Dish employee from the pitt area. He was in pjilly area for 2 weeks helping that location. He was great put the second dish up all signals are 93 or higher/ He was quick but thorough and most importantly he was on time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts