DISH Installation/Wiring Help - DVR 625

george.amen

Original poster
May 29, 2010
Buffalo
Hi,
I am right at the edge of US/CA border (Buffalo).
I just bought a DVR 625 (I believe I can watch channel A and record Chanel B at same time). I need 3 satellites setup 110, 118, 119

Here's what I currently have outside the house
- 2 x 20" Circular Dish with 2 DISH Network LNB in each of them (from my old setup)
- I have a SW21 connected and only ONE wire coming in the house

1. I would like to know how much of this setup can be re-used and what changes do i need to make to work with above setup
- Someone told me i can use ONE of my existing DISH and point to 110
- I need to put in a NEW 24" DISH for my 118, 119
- That person wasn't sure if I could watch and record different channel at same time or not

2. If i was to do a brand-new setup outside, what sort of DISH (i guess DISH 500?), which and how many switches I need to get 110, 118, 119 setup
- I don't mind bringing in 2 WIRES (assume i cant find DISH PRO 500)

Any help would be appreciated.
GA

Pretty much none of what you have already will work. The only way to get the 188.7 is to use the dual band lnb, and dish kit (500+). You will also need a Switch so the receiver can control the setup. If you don't mind running a second line to the new receiver you can use a Dish Pro 34 switch. That switch will allow you to look at three SATs, and use up to 4 tuners per switch. You could also use a Dish Pro Plus 33 Switch. Again three SATs but you can run up to three receivers with one wire to each regardless of tuner count on the receiver as long as you use the separator on a dual tuner. Regardless of which switch you use you will want to connect the FSS 118.7 (1F) port to port 3 of the switch. The 2D port will be 119, and the Dish Pro single will see 110. The 500+ dish is a heavy dish so if you've got a mast mount you will want to use a strut kit with it, or over time the weight of the dish will pull the lags out.

what programming are you looking to get ... why do you want the 118 ... 118n is usually for international

Last edited by a moderator:
wife likes Indian food, some cooking show on 118 :)

to the previous replier, thanks for some of the details, but as you may have guessed by now I don't know much about DISH setup (at all actually).

so when you say i need a switch, and some DISH, would it be possible include all necessary details? what to buy exactly in what quantity and from where?

I've asked around here on ground, no one is carrying the DISH PRO equipment. So my 1st preference is to make use of (as suggested by a friend) some regular 24" elliptical dish with 3 LNBs, bring 2 wires in the house and 3rd wire goes to TV2 (only if needed).
if this could work then still i dont know what dish, lnb, switch to buy, and would i be able to watch a channel while recording the other?

feeling quiet helpless
thanks
-GA

I'd call Dish and pay the $15 to get set up.

But as for DIY, you need the following:

1. 500+ Dish Kit, including mast and struts for stability.
2. Dish Pro Plus 33, or 44 Switch.
-The reason for not recommending a Dish Pro 34 switch is because if you have a dual tuner you'll need 2 lines going to the receiver.
-If you wind up diplexing your setup for TV2 you should run a dedicated line for the power inserter. Do install power inserter outside!
-44 switch is for HD setups that use the 129 sat or a wing dish.
-The 33 switch is for SD setups.
3. RG6 coax and compression fittings for weatherproofing the connections outside. Don't forget to torque them down.

Here is a diagram for a diplexing setup with a 44 switch. a 33 is basically the same.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/Distribution_Diagram_9.pdf

at this point i dont have any DISH PRO equipment.
what i can get is a 24" Elliptical, which can take 3 LNB.
do you think if i put 118/119 on one switch and 110 on other, bring 2 lines down to my receiver (DVR 625), this would work? plus record 'a' while watch 'b'...

thanks to previous reply about DISH PRO equipment, but at this point I would 1st like to try out using the setup i mentioned above.

any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
-GA

DISH 500 PLUS or waste your money and time playing games it is your choice. There is always eBay.

i agree ... the only dish size i got to work with the 118/119 dual lnb was the 30" or better... the smaller are not reliable ...

do the dish 500 +

I'd call Dish and pay the $15 to get set up.

But as for DIY, you need the following:

1. 500+ Dish Kit, including mast and struts for stability.
2. Dish Pro Plus 33, or 44 Switch.
-The reason for not recommending a Dish Pro 34 switch is because if you have a dual tuner you'll need 2 lines going to the receiver.
-If you wind up diplexing your setup for TV2 you should run a dedicated line for the power inserter. Do install power inserter outside!
-44 switch is for HD setups that use the 129 sat or a wing dish.
-The 33 switch is for SD setups.
3. RG6 coax and compression fittings for weatherproofing the connections outside. Don't forget to torque them down.

Here is a diagram for a diplexing setup with a 44 switch. a 33 is basically the same.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/Distribution_Diagram_9.pdf
I forgot:
4. DPP separator for the back of the receiver.

Keep in mind Dish PRO and Dish Pro Plus have two different technologies. DPP is far better since all you need is a single line from a DPP switch. With DP you need 2 lines.

Here is a picture of a 500+ dish on a strutted mast.

500InstallWithDP34SW.jpg

The Dish Pro 34 switch from the same job.

DP34SW.jpg

This is actually a 1000+ that has it's 129* LNB on a wing dish, but you can see the Dish Pro + 44 switch in the background.

500InstallWithDP44SW.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts