DISH Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrnorris

Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I'm a newby here so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions. I currently have Comcast and I don't have good picture quality so I'm thinking about getting one of the new Dish HD packages. I have the following questions and would appreciate any feedback:

1. When the DISH is installed do the technicians run wire and install new jacks in the walls near each TV?

2. I have a VOIP phone and a Comcast cable modem that I must keep. I noticed the second DISH receiver must be connected to a phone line or it's an extra $5 a month. Will it work with a VOIP phone? Is there anyway to get out of the extra $5 a month if it doesn't work?

Thanks for any help.

When I got Dish installed they did not use any existing coax jacks, nor did they put it new jacks, I just have coax cables coming out of my walls. But I'm sure if you ask in advance, and then remind the tech once he gets to your home, they might be able to provide a more tidy install. Maybe...

Also, you should be able to hook your receiver up to an ethernet connection to eliminate the fee, although you may have to call and tell a CSR that you have done so. I honestly don't know whether the receiver is compatible with VoIP service, so someone else will have to answer that.

For a new installation, a dish technician should do whatever needs to be done to install a system to the dish network standard. If each location already has good cable to it, the tech will not replace it on a whim. You may get some flack from the tech for having to work around your cable modem / VOIP setup, especially if the cable modem is using a line needed for a receiver. As far as VOIP phone line compatibility, it's up in the air, some times it plays nice, some times not. Be aware that Dish techs do NOT generally run phone lines so if you have no jacks near your receivers it is your responsibility to get them there to avoid the $5 fee. If your VOIP is not compatible there are other options for avoiding the $5 fee (such as ethernet to a ViP series receiver).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts