Dish installed last night, no grounding??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
I had my dish installed last night. I found out today that the installer did NOT ground either the dish or the coax cables with ground blocks. He finished up after dark last night and it was slightly raining. So, I did not go out and look at the wiring very closing outside. The picture was good, so I thought everything was ok. Well, today I go out and look closer at it. The wires come off the LNB, down the wall and into the house. There are no ground wires for the dish and no ground blocks anywhere on the coax cables. Is there any other way to ground the coax? I came across an "in-line" coax surge protector on the net tonight. It appears it just screws into the line. I don't see that on my system either though. I'm going to be calling the company tomorrow to complain.

No, Call DISH and complain. It is the INSTALLER's responsibility to do the job right, and that's what should be done. Nec code requires proper grounding, and the guy can loose his job or contract for not doing it properly or informing you that it was not done.

QUITE RIGHT TOO, tell them you will be calling the state electrical dept. unless they get a licensed professional round there double quick and get the system installed the way the installer got paid to do it! Tell them you can smell burning coming from your new HDTV they will be there within minutes, crooks!

What exactly should be present to ensure proper grounding. On my setup, the installer has a brass wire running from the switch to a ring around the poll on which my electic meter is attached. Should there be something on the dish or wires?

Its not ideal, the best place to ground a dish is OUTSIDE just before the point of entry, check the below link for a few more locations that it can be properly grounded to.
Note that the dish should also be grounded, there should be a ground cable attached to the dish mast all the way to the main grounding point, usually the electrical service point.

Click Me

chaddux said:
What exactly should be present to ensure proper grounding. On my setup, the installer has a brass wire running from the switch to a ring around the poll on which my electic meter is attached. Should there be something on the dish or wires?

Technically, it is grounded as long as the switch is connected to the electrical box, but it is better IMHO to have a seperate grounding block and then have the ground wire connected to the copper line going to the ground rod with a split bolt. E* has waffled about this back and forth, but I say that you should have a true ground block, and then go to the switch if possible. And the dish should be grounded, but it is more important to have the coax going into the house grounded.

I'm still a relative young one when it comes to satellite stuff. Here is a picture of the setup. The green wire coming off the switch is attached to the tube coming out of the attic but that tube doesn't go to the ground (if it is even supposed to). Is it grounded sufficiently?

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 537
  • 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 575
Boy, if that's a superdish install, you got more problems than grounding. That thing is barely attached. Does it even have stabilizer arms on it? Good grief, what a mess. :( :no

It's not a superdish. The bottom half is not bolted in but it is secure enough that even violently shaking it will not cause it to move.

Just to note: the dish was installed at the place (as opposed to the roof) at my request. The $5000 roof is brand, spankin' new and I really didn't want any holes in it.

Any attachment to the electrical service entrance mast of low voltage wiring, including the telephone service proctector is a violation of Articles 300.1 and 820.52(D) of the National Electric Code, NEC 2002.

If I were you, Chaddux, I run a solid #6 copper conductor from the dish to the grounding block, to the copper strap on the service entrance mast and to a 5/8"x8ft long buried UL approved copper plated grounding rod connected to the #6 conductor with a bronze direct burial clamp. Everything would be available at Home Depot or Lowe's and would definitely be worth the $30 in cost.

This would also enhance the current grounding for the entire electrical system.

Mike500 said:
Any attachment to the electrical service entrance mast of low voltage wiring, including the telephone service proctector is a violation of Articles 300.1 and 820.52(D) of the National Electric Code, NEC 2002.

???

The cables should NOT be zip tied or attached in any way to the electrical mast : )
This is the is 2nd most violated code in satellite installs (1st is non grounding to NEC and local code)

Mike500 said:
They should be strapped to the wall an inch or two away from the service entrance mast.

How do you strap something to a brick wall?

You drill 3/16" holes into the mortar with a masonary bit and use plastic screw shields, straps and sheet metal screws.

Running behind it, attached to it - I don't care - the coax, switch, dish, and the old cable TV are ALL too close to the overhead electrical entrance.

If lightning even sniffs at that area, you're gonna lose a LOT of stuff.

SimpleSimon said:
Running behind it, attached to it - I don't care - the coax, switch, dish, and the old cable TV are ALL too close to the overhead electrical entrance.

If lightning even sniffs at that area, you're gonna lose a LOT of stuff.

The first thing he asked when he got here was "where is the electric meter?" as if that's the spot to install it. I don't know if it makes a difference but the house is 21+ years old and the cable TV has always entered at the spot. I didn't like the fact that he didn't cap the old wires from the cable TV service. We do have a lot of very trees so at least the dish isn't the tallest thing around. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)