Dish installer just arrived: No 1000 dish, need 2 seperate?

coolbreeze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Easton, PA
So my first surprise of the installation. He does have a 622 HD receiver, but they are "out" of the 1000 model dish, so he has to install 2 dishes on my roof. Very hesitantly, I agree to this.

What's the downside? I have a good deal of trees in my back yard, so I'm wondering if this will make my reception risk 2-fold.

Wonder why they didn't mention this to me when I spoke with them to begin with? Not a good first impression.:mad:

As long as the two dishes aren’t esthetically unpleasing you may rest easy. There are really no disadvantages to a two dish solutions. It actually makes it possible to get better reception resulting in a lower chance of pixilation or signal loss especially if you are dealing with the 129 bird.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the installer was pulling a fast one on me, but after reading more posts around here, it appears the 1000 has some issues, etc...making a 2 dish install more reliable. Are they tacky? Yes, but oh well. At least they aren't hanging off of the front of my house or in the front yard! They are mounted on the rear of my house (roof) and aren't visible from the road.

Can't wait!

Here is the other side this (we need Pros and Cons). . . .

I would go with the Dish 1000 as some in your neighborhood might complain as it looks like Mickey Mouse up there.

I know several complained about mine. Now I have a Dish 1000, looks great, and no signal problems as I live in the midwest. (On the East coast is it better to have Two Dishes though). Dish installed the 1000 for free at my request.

"What do you think this is Disney" is what one said to me.

It even says in the neighborhood covenence that only ONE dish is allowed per house.

Check your covenenence FIRST!

I know its hard to imposible to inforce a convenence rule, but you know how some neighbors can be. Its like you broke the rules (even though they cant stand up in court) now your the bad guy.

Last edited:
Well the installer just told me I have too many trees and he cannot find a signal. What to do now? I can't cut them, they are so tall it would cost thousands to remove. Funny thing is, DirecTV works fine...I guess it's b/c their satellites are at a different location.

This sucks. I was so excited to get Dish HD...hopefully his manager can find a signal. :(

Last edited:
No dice. Well I am royally po'ed. I practically bought the Westinghouse 42" LCD just for Dish's HD offerings. Now I can't get Dish. I was really looking forward to the 622 and it's features.

I would cut the trees I have access to, but that wouldn't help. There are MANY more obstructing the view which are my neighbors trees.

Well I was so close to joining the ranks of Voom/Dish HD. I'm pretty upset I will be unable to do this now.

Oh well.

goaliebob99 said:
Ask for another tech / supervisor to come out to verify the NO LOS...
Well the installer already packed up shop and sped away.

Now I'm seriously pissed b/c DirecTV may not work either (HD sats) and Comcast in my area is horrible. I have a 42" HDTV on the way and don't have a good signal source lined up.

This is fantastic.

Yes call Dish ask for the Supervisor Tech to come out for a tree survery.

Dish wants your business and they will pay the Tech to come out.

Just be sure to tell them you have Direct TV and it is working.

I bet you got a beginner tech and he does not know the Electrical Code about moving the dish to a play where it will work AND it will still be in code in terms of grounding. The SuperVisor Tech will know the Code.

I bet you just got a bad installer,

I mean he did forget the Dish 1000.

Cal Dish tell them he forgot the Dish 1000 and try it with that.

THink about it. Direct TV is as 110 The 129 is not that far off in the sky.

I bet if had to put the 2nd Dish 500 in a different place. If had had put a DIsh 1000 in the exact same place as the Direc TV Dish it would work.

Did he try that? No, as he forgot the Dish 1000.

Woth the Call to Dish, ask for a Supervisor or Email ceo@echostar.com for the Sr. CSR team.

Any chance of locating the dishes on the other side of those trees? Might make for a long cable run, but I believe 200' is technically OK with DPP equipment. The cables will need to be buried (preferrably in conduit in case you need to make future changes, but there are direct-burial types) and that might be expensive. If that would put them in your neighbor's yard, can you negotiate something with him? Where there's a will there's (usually) a way! YMMV...

Well I just called Dish (800 #) and they told me that the local installer will automatically contact me for a second opinion. She told me this is the SOP for first time "no LOS" issues.

I question this b/c the installer had me sign a paper stating "no LOS" before he left, and told me my refund would be automatically processed. This makes me think my affair with Dish is over.

So do they really automatically try again? I asked her for a timeline as to when they will call me, she had no idea...up to the local installer.

Do I just wait on them to possibly call me?

ScottChez said:
Dish wants your business and they will pay the Tech to come out.

No they don't, and that's Bullsh!t. Yes, they will send someone for free, but if you get a non-dish employee (like an RSP FSM), that person won't get paid if he can't do the install.

I hated doing those, and as far as I am concerned, if you have no LOS, and the second opinion confirms it, you should have to pay a fee to the installer.

I had one ahole request one which resulted in me having to drive an hour to do it. Of course, I didn't know it was a second opinion (actually it was more like a forth-- the guy had 2 Dish techs and 2 DirecTv techs out. I was #4), or I would have told them to shove it. I get there and the guy goes "I hope you have better luck than the last guy." I was already pissed because I knew it was NLOS as soon as I drove up. He had full 360 degree tree coverage.

ScottChez said:
I bet you just got a bad installer,

I mean he did forget the Dish 1000.

Nice. Its the installers fault. He was too lazy to put in 2 dishes, even thought that is one of the things that E* actually pays us extra for. The guy left money on the table if he's not an employee, but he's the bad guy.

chadzx11 said:
I hated doing those, and as far as I am concerned, if you have no LOS, and the second opinion confirms it, you should have to pay a fee to the installer.
I'm going to disagree with you there. As we are all human, and make mistakes, a second opinion is often a great idea (proofreading, re-checking financial docs, etc). If the company who I am struggling to pay a monthly fee to actually charges me for this, I consider that outrageous. I mean, if I demanded 3,4,5 installers come out and triple, quadruple, check, that's a bit much. The trees are there and the first installer is probably correct, but again, different people interpret situations differently. Maybe a supervisor/highly experienced installer will have another approach than the first guy. As a potential customer who wants to pay for this service, I don't think it's unreasonable to get a free second opinion. That's the cost of Dish doing business, not a "fee" for a potential customer.

So here I sit watching a friggin antenna broadcast (no HD set yet) pondering my options. I would have appreciated it if the installer made a little more effort to find a signal. He was like "up, see those trees there? They are blocking the signal, it can't be installed. They will refund your money." Then he gathered the equipment, had me sign a paper, and bolted.

I'm requesting a second opinion. This isn't too fun begging a company to provide me a service I will pay a lot for.

You should definitely get a second opinion on the line of sight issue. Alot of times the Dish installers or RSPs don't get paid alot for 2nd dish installs or upgrades and if they have easier or more profitable jobs on there list they will say no line of sight and go to there next job. I am an installer for a Retailer and have seen this alot and have installed alot of customers that Dishes RSP in my area said no LOS.
Usually the install is difficult or high and the installer didn't have a ladder to reach since most of them don't carry anything over 24'.
As for a 3rd and 4th opinion the customer should have to pay for wasting our time and gas that we do not get paid for.
Note the difference between 119 and 129 is 10 degrees more to the west and is lower in the sky by about 3 degrees but the 2nd dish can get around this issue most of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts