Dish-Internet?

blackwaterdev

Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
We recently moved to a new house and are having trouble getting an internet provider other than dial up. We couldn't get cable so went with Dish for our TV. Verizon won't give us DSL so we are grasping at straws. My neighbor told me that he thought Dish was planning on offering an internet service, does anyone know anything about it? If not Dish, can we get internet through DirecTV?

Thanks!

There are talks of a joint venture between E* & D* to provide broadband service thru some sort of wi-fi setup. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to become available.

If Verizon does not offer DSL to you, then none of the other providers will be able to either. You could rent a dedicated T1 line, but I gather you are not independently wealthy.

Other options include Fios and broadband over power lines. Again, don't hold your breath.

You can suffer thru with cheap dial up, or suffer thru with more expensive sorta-faster satellite, or move.

I'm still steamed that I lost my Speakeasy DSL when I moved and had to go to cable broadband. But I certainly have it better than you.

Best of luck to you, maybe something will shake loose in a couple of years. BTW, try your local library. They may have broadband connections you can use, generally for a half hour at a time.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I am really hoping for Verizon DSL. We have been told by the guy who installed our phone that we can get it but the 1-800 numbers say no "To far from the loop". Our neighbors told us they were told we were close but the engineers haven't approved it or something so we need to keep pushing that option.

Thanks!

:) directv and hughes have parted ways. wild blue it going through growing pains and tech difficulties. starband is starting a new line of service starting in Sept. but there prices seem a bit high. hughes has been around a long time they have resonable prices and a new system out tomarrow the hn7000s. they all have issues of slow speeds high prices and the inability to use voip and live gaming. i am a long time hughes customer beta testing the hn7000s and a dealer/installer for starband. the only experience i have with wb it what i here. they have a spot beam system that's a new way of doing things. so far its so so. i recommend hughes! there is a thread for sat internet here. tate is also really good with hughes. hes a dealer/installer. what are you looking to use it for? and what kinds of speeds and pricing are you looking at? hughes newest plan is the hn7000s at 250kbs up and 1.5mb down for $80/mo. not bad for sat.

I'm in the same boat blackwater, 1200 feet too far for DSL. Which is odd cause when we first moved in they told us we were 2000 feet too far?! There is a local wirelss company that operates right here in the valley, perhaps you have that option there??

Wireless internet providers are starting to pop up throughout rural america. Unfortunately, they are small businesses that do not advertise very well and unfortunately you need an ISP to search for them on the internet search engines. Satellite ISP are typically about $60/month and wireless providers are typically $30-40/month for residential customers and they provide 100-500Kb service. When there is no DSL nor cable, there is only cell phone service (expensive), satellite, or wireless. I am going to try my local wireless company that I just discovered this week.

They will have to install a small antenna on your roof and the install/equipment purchase is typically $300

Hope this provides some insight.

The local company here is $30 a month and you don't have to purchase the equiment. Of course I've left 5 messages and they have yet to call me back. The guy two houses down has it and it seems to work out OK for him. Maybe I have to stop by that little hut they run it out of and inquire within?! :D

I discovered a small wireless company (single proprietor) here several months ago. I did get the guy to come out and take an elevation reading on GPS and found out that there is a hill in the way between me and the tower. He did say that we could install a 70 foot tower here on my property ( I have 9.5 acres) and he could set up a hotspot for my house and my father-in-law next door and my neighbor down the road running off that one tower. The problem is I can't get the guy to give me any cost specifics in regards to the tower and all the necessary equipment. I've called him several times and talked to him, but he just won't come out and give me a bottom line. I think in September I'm going to get Wildblue installed, but only if they still have the free install going on.