DISH introduces Hopper Transfers to Android Platform

Gotta wonder if this will have a significant effect in attracting new Android toting subs.

Finally! I can now use my iPhone 5 to send programming to. Folks may think its small ... but for me ... in my pocket ... on the bus, train, or an airport ... with backpacks and/or suitcases ... it is much easier to handle than an iPad.

Android sub here, and until this announcement, there was no good reason for me to upgrade to the HWS. Now, with this coming, there is :)

Same here! Now I want to upgrade to HWS. I do enjoy using my sling adapter. Dish anywhere looks great on my Galaxy S4 with the nice HD screen. This will make it even better.

Good News!

Hope I can install it on my Android phone and be able to store the app on my SD card. The Present Dish Anywhere app for my android device only loads on the internal memory and was the largest app on there. I finally had to remove it even though it worked well.

Nice to see something new from Dish, it's been status quo for a long time.

Sorry...I am still on DirecTV with GenieGo. Not familiar with what Dish currently offers. With GenieGO, you select a program, it takes 60 minutes to encode a 60 minute program and another 5 to transfer it. Then, it expires in 30 days on your device. How does that scenario compare with what Dish currently offers and the new feature described in this thread?

The time varies a bit, depending upon the program content, but with the iPad transfer function and one of my HWS, it takes 20-30 minutes to transfer an hour's worth of programming. I can't remember for sure if that includes the prep time, but I think so. But it doesn't matter that much, because you can tell the HWS to prepare the program for Transfer while it records the program in the first place. Of course, if you forget to do that, you can tell it to do so later, at transfer time. When my wife returns with the iPad tonight, maybe I'll time it all out again.

Hope this helps.

OK, I transferred an HD program exactly 30 minutes long to the iPad. This was recorded with the prepare for transfer option checked. It transferred in 10-15 minutes. Sorry, I got distracted and did not catch the exact time it finished.

I then transferred an HD program 34 minutes long that I had NOT prepared for transfer ahead of time. It took 20 minutes.

The program will not expire or erase after 30 days, but you must let the iPad and HWS connect at least every 30 days, or it won't play and will tell you to reconnect to the Hopper as 30 days have passed.

Hope this helps.

I have a old ipad 1. Will the new app work? Dish anywhere used to work, and the transfer app still works. Will anything work after this update?

Thanks NavyChop. I have no issue with reconnecting to the Hopper every 30 days. Probably would anyway. I don't understand why DirecTV has taken such a heavy hammer approach. I can make the ipad/iphone stuff work, but Android doesn't work at all. The Genie sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't on apple devices. Then to have an auto-expire...what a pain. If Dish would get a move on the full time RSN HD issue, I think I'd make the switch. Only really care about FSN - AZ.

OK, I transferred an HD program exactly 30 minutes long to the iPad. This was recorded with the prepare for transfer option checked. It transferred in 10-15 minutes. Sorry, I got distracted and did not catch the exact time it finished.

I then transferred an HD program 34 minutes long that I had NOT prepared for transfer ahead of time. It took 20 minutes.

The program will not expire or erase after 30 days, but you must let the iPad and HWS connect at least every 30 days, or it won't play and will tell you to reconnect to the Hopper as 30 days have passed.

Hope this helps.

Of course these times are all subject to your personal network conditions. Did the Hopper connect at 150Mbps or 300Mbps? Does your WiFi have a lot of contention from other Wifi routers? How close is the Hopper to the WiFi router to the iPad? Is your WiFi router and every other router on the same channel? Etc, etc, etc ...

I'm sure the transfer itself goes over your wireless LAN. Plus I don't think either Hopper model has USB3...

Based on reading replies on this thread those with Original Hopper + Sling adapter have to upgrade to a newer hopper.

Sounds right?

How much are the upgrades running for right now?

This is a killer feature I've been looking for. :whoo:

Based on reading replies on this thread those with Original Hopper + Sling adapter have to upgrade to a newer hopper.

Sounds right?

How much are the upgrades running for right now?

This is a killer feature I've been looking for. :whoo:

YES, you need to upgrade. I got my upgrade for 2 HWS' for $0.00 (FREE).

Check with your friendly DIRT rep for specifics in YOUR situation.

YES, you need to upgrade. I got my upgrade for 2 HWS' for $0.00 (FREE).

Check with your friendly DIRT rep for specifics in YOUR situation.

Thanks! Any advantage other than increase storage/increased tuners? can they be linked nowadays so that you access content from both units?
I recall that feature was not available when they first came out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts