Dish is not offering the Olympics in HD!!!!!

Frank Solich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I called my local NBC station today to find out why the HD feed of the Olympics is blacked out in my area.

The first person I talked to was the Head Engineer and he told me that he had heard that Dish was offering both an interactive guide and an HD feed, but he had no idea why they were blacked out in our area. He took my name and number and said he'd check with the General Manager at the station and call me back. Five minutes later I get a call from the engineer and he says there is NO REASON the HD feed should be blacked out in our area.

With that info I call Dish. Guess what I heard from the brain dead dumb ass from Dish? "The Olympics are not being broadcast by Dish in HD".
Since I was at work at the time of my call to Dish I couldn't tell the CSR the exact channel number. I could only say it was somewhere between ESPN HD and HBO HD. Again the moron said there is no NBC Olympic HD channel.

If I worked at Dish, I'd be embarrassed to be associated with such a pathetic, uninformed group of idiots.

Probably too late, but the nbc hd channel is 9425, the regular one is 147. Last night they were both showing the same thing. The Los Angeles OTA NBC hd channel was also showing the same thing.

Not to say the CSR wasn't totally in the dark, but just to be devil's advocate, maybe they meant E* is not broacasting it IN YOUR AREA. But if you talked to the NBC affiliate, and got names & numbers saying you are approved from your local affiliate, I would tell them to call E* and tell E* to call them to get your feed!

From what I'm seeing on Directv the Olympics in HD channel broadcasts the SAME thing as the OTA NBC HD channel.

I too agree that since your NBC station gave you permission, get it in writing, and fax to DISH and they should turn it on for you. It's definately a good experience watching this in HD. Too bad they have that annoying Sony commercial on with that airhead guy who for chips and salsa allows hundreds of people to watch his HDTV.

Also, don't forget that aerial montage that keeps looping every 3 minutes. Can they PLEASE send someone out with an HD camera to generate some new footage?

Dish are planning to remove the blackouts and go live with the 2004 Olympics HD coverage on August 30th :D

Keith.

Can someone change the thread title, Dish is indeed offering the Olympics in HD. There are just some who do not qualify.

Neutron said:
I'd rather see the aerial montage than that stupid commercial.
Why in Hell Sony decided to go with an SD commercial for a HDTV setup is beyond me. What were they thinking? On a SD channel, it would look fine, but for people getting this channel, they obviously have a HD set. DUH! :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts