Dish is raising the price for local channels

As you know the base rate is guaranteed for the 2 or 3 years.

I think someone here already posted a $5 higher bill who had a guaranteed rate.
That was a case where somebody was getting a better deal than what Dish was actually advertising.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...e-5-increase-of-bill-w-2-yr-guarentee.367121/

We signed up in Sept of last year. 2 year price lock.

Our last regular bill of November showed: Flex Pack w/DVR -- $39.99
The there was an eautopay discount of -$5
Net pay for Flex Pack w/DVR = $34.99

As I explained in that thread:
With this price structure, you were either getting Flex Pack for $24.99 (plus promotional $10 DVR fee) or the DVR fee was only $5. ($29.99 for Flex Pack including autopay discount.)

The rate that the OP is now paying is the amount that was advertised by Dish:
Come January, the bill now shows: Flex Pack ---- $34.99
Eautopay discount -$5
But they broke out and added: Hopper DVR service --- $15
and added: Hopper discount -$5
Now the new net pay for Flex pack, and DVR = $39.99

The OP has not replied to that thread since then.

Could be.maybe they would add a surcharge for a particular channel and give customers the option to drop that if they want the price to remain the same.
I like that idea. Perhaps Dish could start actually using the Significantly Viewed copyright license, and only add the surcharge in the communities where they actually offer Significantly Viewed out-of-market local channels.

I see it as an opportunity to save money if they eventually allow us to drop the locals (and the $10 charge). But we'll see.
We can always use an OTA adapter which lets us see locals without Dish retransmitting them. I would love to drop locals and will be picking up the new dual OTA adapter to record subchannels like mhz and nhk that Dish does not carry here

I wonder if in the future different markets will have different prices for locals, based on station groups that demand outrageous compensation from Dish. By making locals a separate cost, then subscribers will know what they are paying their local stations for the channels now.

Reactions: pattykay
I wonder if in the future different markets will have different prices for locals, based on station groups that demand outrageous compensation from Dish. By making locals a separate cost, then subscribers will know what they are paying their local stations for the channels now.
and since some areas get more locals than others, the price should differ between zip codes IMO.

and since some areas get more locals than others, the price should differ between zip codes IMO.
The only problem there is that some channels may be FTA or must carry. Phoenix is one of those. Some markets may not have a lot of locals but may be charging 3 times the amount of another markets locals for the same channel.

Reactions: Tampa8
The only problem there is that some channels may be FTA or must carry. Phoenix is one of those. Some markets may not have a lot of locals but may be charging 3 times the amount of another markets locals for the same channel.
Still, it is not very likely that every market costs the exact same amount. So, it would be nice to have a way to see which markets are more expensive than others, whatever the reason for the extra cost. (Fixed costs of equipment needed to receive and uplink the locals, being divided by fewer subscribers in smaller markets, would also increase the cost per subscriber, for example.)

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, But Dish found a way to increase our prices under the Price Lock .

My promo went from a $30 credit to a $25 credit.

So I would put my stock in Dish just wanted to increase everyones rates, and the only way to do it under a price lock was to add another line item.

Well it worked.
They got their $10 increase

My promo was a $30 credit off my $79.99 Top 200 and the Hopper increases.

Now Top 200 is $84.99 and I only now get a $25 credit because they lowered the Basepackage $5 so there went a $5 credit and added a $10 locals fee, which is untouchable for a price lock since it only stipulates Basepackage and Equipment fees.

Well thats sh!tty, now wonder they can afford to eat that $10 HBO offer thats free for 6 months.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, But Dish found a way to increase our prices under the Price Lock .

So I would put my stock in Dish just wanted to increase everyones rates, and the only way to do it under a price lock was to add another line item.
Yes, someone else noticed: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/4028558/

Reactions: Troch77

Nailed it!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/4000302/
I hadn't thought about that. Dish locks everyone into a two-year price lock, which only guarantees the price of the core package, and then separates out the local channels as an add-on so they can still raise the bill. Since the core package price is locked for two years, does that mean that you also do not get the additional $5 reduction to the core package that Dish is promising to partially offset the cost of the local package?

I got into the price lock in November. This months bill is the same as the last two months. Wonder what the difference is. I'm on the Top 200 with autopay.

I got into the price lock in November. This months bill is the same as the last two months. Wonder what the difference is. I'm on the Top 200 with autopay.
Mine is fairly simple.
I get a $10 autopay credit, free dvr service, which was $12, now $15, and the $5 2016 increase as a credit.

Total $30 off.

So my December-January Bill was.
$79.99 T200 ($64.99 Price lock)
$15 DVR ($15 credit price lock)
$5 Cinemax
$5 Movie pack
$7.50 Showtime
$3 Encore.
$35 6 rooms
Total $120.49 + Tax

Now
$74.99 T200 ($64.99 Price lock $10 credit) No longer $15 credit.
$15 DVR ($15 credit)
$10 Locals
$5 Cinemax
$5 Movie pack
$7.50 Showtime
$3 Encore
$35 6 rooms
Total $130.49 plus tax
An increase of $10

Yes I think that is right. I got the existing customer renewal offer on two of my DISH accounts and neither one shows an increase. My bills show $34.99 for FLex then on the next line - $5.00 auto pay credit. That hasn't changed since I got it in November.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)