dish is swamped with calls ref. viacom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think interrupting someone's signal with a "he said/she said" argument is petty, childish, and stupid. If I wanted to know about it, I'd read it somewhere, not while I'm watching tv. If anything, I'd complain to viacom about their stupid interruption of my favorite show because two grown men can't sit down and negotiate like adults.

I say to heck with viacom... take the channels down charlie. don't let them bully you. You're independant for a reason, stick with it.

If they take them down and replace them with VOOM's Exclusive channels... that would be nice. :)

If Dish loses the Viacom channels, the Turner channels and any of the other channels they are negotiating, there won't be a lot left to watch.

Oh please, give us a break. Dish won't fold if they yank the Viacom channels, and there is plenty on to watch other than their product. It's all bravado from both sides. What is likely to happen is negotiations go nowhere, Dish (or Viacom) pulls the channels for a period to show they are serious, and then they settle the thing half way, kiss and make up. I can live without Viacom for a bit if it helps keep the rates down.

The same thing happened when Time Warner cable in the Los Angeles area was in a dispute with Disney a couple of years ago. They actually ended up pulling KABC off their cable systems for a few hours. The outcry was so huge that it lasted less than one day.

I always say this in threads like this so at the risk of wearing you all out I will say it again. The FCC really needs to step up to the plate here. These broadcasters are given a free license to print money when they are granted a broadcast license. They are allocated a specific part of the public airwaves on which to conduct their business. If they are concerned about potential viewers not having access to their signal they should take it upon themselves to correct that by any means necessary at their expense. Cable and DBS providers should not be forced to pay for retransmission of their freely obtained signal. Quite the opposite, broadcasters should be paying others to carry their signal in order to better serve their customers (viewers). If broadcasters want people to pay to watch what they are transmitting then they should encrypt their signal.

The only "compelling" programming offered by Viacom is CBS. Since, thanks to my 811, I can get CBS DT & HDTV OTA, I won't miss Viacom if they leave. Yes, I'm in one of the O & O areas.

I have the AT120 package. If Viacom leaves, I guess I'm stuck looking through over 100 channels to find something to watch. Yes, we have plenty of choices and we don't even have to dump E* to exercise them. I'm guessing those most upset w/ the prospect of losing Viacom are also those who will scream the loudest when their E* bill goes up after a Viacom agreement. Just my 2 cents!

I think if the stations want more money then they should try to offer some better content to get more advertisement, not try to squeeze more out of subscribers. When these stations start wanting more money to make up for advertisement money they are not getting because they do not have as good of content as they used to, then this does not help the situation to give in and pay more. This just makes them think that they can make just as much or more without providing better content, that they can actually get away with it.

snathanb said:
I just saw the same crawling banner on my OTA CBS Digital station....

I just saw the crawl on my VOOM comedy central channel.

All you upset Dish folks, come on over to VOOM. With my OTA channels, I have 40 HD channels. I highly recommend.

As Delmer said....

"Come on in boys, the waters fine".

I called DirecTV and complained about the crawls on the TVLAND channel - they said a lot of customers had been calling to ask/complain.

I saw it on Comcast as well. Some people don't seem to understand, that the crawls come from the network themselves, not the providers. I work for on air operations for TNT and we do crawls when we have programming changes and other announcments.