dish is ticking me off....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DVR fee 5.98 (waived if has aep)
leased recvr fee (after the 1st recvr) 5.00
additional outlet programming fee (aka phn line fee) 4.99 (waived if connected to phn lne)

I've called Dish probably 15 times on this and am comtemplatling leaving over this. I have a 322 and I wanted to upgrade to the 522 or 625. They've told me I'd be charged $5.98/month for a DVR fee AND $5.00 leasing fee. It would be my ONE AND ONLY receiver and WOULD be hooked to the phone line and I'd STILL get charged the $5/month leasing fee. They said that anything beyond your first receiver, even if you return it for another, you get charged $5/month lease fee. And, I have yet to find it on their website where they say that they charge a $5/month lease fee if you use their Dish'n'up promotion.

The kicker, if I disconnect dish for 6 months, I qualify for new customer deals and could get the 522/625 WITHOUT the $5/month lease fee.

Dish does not take care of exsiting customers at all. Once you're hooked, they try to get more and more money out of you versus trying to give you good deals and keep you happy.

Last edited:
mera said:
DVR fee 5.98 (waived if has aep)
leased recvr fee (after the 1st recvr) 5.00
additional outlet programming fee (aka phn line fee) 4.99 (waived if connected to phn lne)

The bold above is incorrect. The lease fee is charged on ALL leased boxes, including the first.

MikeD-C05 said:
From what I read elsewhere , Directv is going to charge up to $499.99 for their lease deal for their hd dvr receiver. Makes Dish's offer look damn good. I think satellite companies in general are going to gouge the hd customers now just like they did when satellite companies first started.

I know that I paid up to $450.00 for up to a years programming for like the top programming I think it was, for a standard 2 room Dishnetwork receiver install back in 1997. It is like 1997 all over again for hd customers.

I have already paid $1000.00 for a 921 p.o.s. and $700.00 twice for the two 942s I bought just Last YEAR. So what is another $99.00 in April? It is either that or pay up to $15.00 a month for a digital hd dvr that is basically a digital vcr without name based recording with Cable. Sadly , Dish is still the better offer compared to the competition.

Mike,

That is not true. I just left Dish and my bill is a total of $83.00 including all taxes and DVR fees for the following: All digital channels, HBO and Showtime including their HD feeds, All network HD signals, iNHD1, inHD2, HDNet and HDNet Movies, Universal HD, ESPN HD, TNT HD, Discovery HD, the Spanish package, and 2SA HD DVRs. This with a picture quality that is better than i was getting with Dish.

Yes, this DVRs may not be as good as Dish Network's but good enough for me. And I had no upfront investment, no commitments and my price is guaranteed for 12 months!

You have to amortize your hardware equipment cost to be able to compare pricing to competition. Spending $300 for the right to lease a DVR means that you are paying about $8.00 a month extra if you spread it over 3 years. You have already spent $2400 in Dish equipment so if you amortize it over 5 years that is an extra $40.00 per month you paid for your Dish service. It does not sound that much cheaper than the competition if you look at it that way, does it?

I joined Dish a year after you did and when Dish was better in all aspects. And it was not until this year when I open my eyes and discovered all the improvements made by my local cable company.

Mario.

Your individual experiences with your particular cable company will vary. In my instance it is about 15.00 a month to have a hd dvr and I would need two so I would be out 30.00 a month on fees to have less hd with TimeWarner Cable than with Dish. I tried TWC a few years back and I hated it . The picture would block up and pixelate by the hour and had freezes on the picture . It was far worse than anything I ever experienced with Dish or Directv. But like I said your individual experiences will vary.

MikeD-C05 said:
Your individual experiences with your particular cable company will vary. In my instance it is about 15.00 a month to have a hd dvr and I would need two so I would be out 30.00 a month on fees to have less hd with TimeWarner Cable than with Dish. I tried TWC a few years back and I hated it . The picture would block up and pixelate by the hour and had freezes on the picture . It was far worse than anything I ever experienced with Dish or Directv. But like I said your individual experiences will vary.

You are totally right that it varies by individual cable company. I am now with TWC here locally so it varies by town even with the same company. But in my case is amazing how much better the picture quality is, especially on the non-HD channels.

See many companies have upgraded their wiring and when they did that here in Austin, picture quality improved greatly. It was the picture quality what drove me away from them originally in the late 90s. But again was very surprised now 8 years later and the problems you describe are no longer there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts