Dish knitting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
So, would it make any sense or is it even possible to combine the dish you see in the first picture below with the mount and equipment from the second?

Dish number 1 is an 8 foot at a metals yard a couple of hours away from me, and they want 75.00. They have no other hardware for the dish.

Dish number 2 is a free, take it away, yet to confirm size of dish.

LethbridgeMetalsDish.jpg Abbotsfield.JPG

Wouldn't make sense here. But, Why? Dish #2 looks complete. Go get it. $75 for what's there [#1] is way too much. Somewhere around $30 is the scrap metal value.

A bird in the hand

I agree.
A complete dish for free is hard to argue with.
Lot more bang for the buck. ;)
It's got a scalar, arms to hold it, a motor, and the pole.
Get 'em all!
The $75 dish has none of those. :down

And even if it's a pain to dig out, never under estimate the value of a free pole!
A few people tell tails of alternate sources, but none are free.
Finding a good pole to buy, is a lot like finding a dish, and you know how hard that was. ;)

The poster wants everything gone, and I've already asked him about the pole.

I'll have to see how ugly a piece of concrete it's set into before I try to pull it with a jack and chain.

Don't really want to whack it off at the ground but if that's what it takes to get the rest of the gear, cest la vie.

More pictures, please, esp if you pull the pole.

Ok, the fish are jumping now...

Got another picture of a dish I think is currently number 1 to attempt reeling in.

Abbotsfield2.JPG Abbotsfield.JPG

And another one has popped up, but by the time I saw the ad and contacted the poster I was number 2 in line. Owner has promised to contact me if other party does not take it.

SherwoodPark.JPG

General guidelines...

I don't see anything to rank one above the other.
Think you got two good choices, there.

Can not guess size from looking at them.
8-10' will be fine, and go for 10' if all else is equal.
I wouldn't get excited over 6', though. ;)

Dish #1 - the owner didn't post a size, but based on the size of other things in the background I believe it's at least an 8, and quite possibly a 10.

Dish #2 - owner posted as "12?"

To my untrained eye they look like the same model of dish. Probably installed by the same dealer around the same time.

Thanks.

I'm reviewing various take down posts to make sure I go prepared with the right gear for whatever I run into.

3 hours drive from home to the dish, then 1.5 hours back from the take down to it's ultimate home, so I want to make sure I arrive with everything I need.

Doh!

I kind of think I need to get what I can get when I can get it. Just confirmed with the owner of dish number 1 for Saturday morning.

The two dishes really look the same to me, same number of ribs, same number of braces on the feed support.

I guess I'll see what happens if I get a call on the second one or not. I've got some time at the moment, and space to store whatever I can salvage.

I'm reviewing various take down posts to make sure I go prepared with the right gear for whatever I run into.
... so I want to make sure I arrive with everything I need.
- take a camera
- take a friend (if only to operate the camera, even a kid)
- take a quick look at the two take-down threads in my signature

Pull out any cable you can find. Can always throw it away later. ;)

I've been reviewing your posts and picture galleries from Birdview harvesting, and AMC1 - I already have the official Little Giant aluminum ginsu ladder... :)

The owner is going to help me, and he has mentioned more than once that he wants to get rid of the cable.

Saturday might be "boats going in the lake day", ice is just breaking up this week, so may not have anyone else with me.

Thinking of setting the camera up on a tripod with wide angle and remote control.

It's not usually the weight of the dish, but just the bulk of something that big. I've done several of them alone, it can be done with minimum effort. Just remember that once you remove that actuator - the dish is going to fall! Unless you're holding on to the backside of it or the edge, or have it propped up with a board. I always take the motor tube loose from the dish first, with dish propped , and carefully remove the motor-tube bolt from dish bracket. IF the bolt holding the lower end of the motor is loose, the motor may flop up and poke a new hole for you in the dish mesh, have to watch for that too. Once that's removed you can flop the dish over to one side, undo the dish-to-mount bolts and just drop the dish gently straight down to the ground. It's like balancing a large china plate on edge on a tabletop, lol.
Good luck with the removal.

Run the dish to it's highest point south if possible. Unbolt the dish itself from the polar mount. You and the former owner can lift it off the mount. Then, pull the polar mount off the pole, LEAVING the motor actuator still mounted. Then you can dig out the pole. Don't forget water makes a good ground softener. If he has a tractor with a front-end loader, he could even pop the pole out of the ground using that with a couple chains wrapped around the sat pole and then the loader.

That's by far the easiest way to remove a dish of this size. As others have said, one person can lift it, but the bulk of it makes that difficult.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)