Dish knocks out too easily in my opinion

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
A couple nights ago some real dark clouds were to the south of the dish and it knocked out the 129 sat. It wasn't raining I thought this was a little ridculous.

The 110 sats signal strength is 72. 119 is 101. and 129 is 73. I'm living in southwest Ohio. Did the dish guy fail to get this more accuratly tuned in? Should the signal be stronger than what it is now?

Also there are no trees in the way and the dish is on the TV antenna.

As you've discovered, it's typically clouds that block the signal more so than rain. Of course, a really heavy rain can also cause problems... When we'd lose signal due to weather, it was almost always before it started raining.

As for your signal strengths, those do appear to be a bit low, especially the 110'. Even the 119 strength is lower than I typically see. I'd like it to be 115 or more. I don't know if that's possible with a D1000 though. Anytime you're pointing at multiple satellites, you have to trade off strength on one to gain on another.

You need to have your dish repeaked. I bet I have only had one service interruption in the last year...and that lasted for maybe a minute or two.

If your readings are 72 on a clear day, then you are going to be knocked out by rain and dark clouds more often than normal.

Those are very marginal readings. No reputable installer would leave a site with those readings.

I would have to agree. The 119 is passable (barely), but the 110 should be a bit stronger. NE Ohio, with a D100, I usually net this...110 - 92, 119 - 108, 129 - 78. I suspect your skew setting may be just a tad off since the 119 and 129 are pretty close.

Unfortunately, the 129 is a crappy-ass bird. And since your locals and hi-def are there, that's the bird you'll lose 1st. I never understood why Dish placed their so-called premium/hi-def programming on the 129. Ugh.

Because I believe that's up for replacement next. End of '07? With single dish rules and other constraints, they probably had little choice.

Anyway, if repeaking doesn't help, maybe you can get a dish onto 61.5.

I must say in the 4 and a half plus years I've had Dish, my total outages are less than in any given month, maybe any given week, of when I had cable.

I have had both services...both get knocked out when clouds have a lot of moisture in them. I have mine peaked at 97 (out of 100) and it still does it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts