DISH Launches dishNET Broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My Android DUMB phone ran up a metered data bill of $30 in one month just updating itself over 3G, rather than doing it for free over my wifi connection. :rant: And here I thought I had no data plan at all! (T-mobile added it surreptitiously.) I can just imagine what my bill would have been had I actually attempted to watch any video during that month.

Similar experience with a Nokia many years ago with AT&T.

I think Dish Network could have a good thing going if they raised your caps based upon what package you have. For example, any package would get you the 10 GB plan, Top 250 get you 12 GB, another 2 GB per movie package you have and so on. Or AEP giving you a special 5 GB bonus. I think that would not only help get more customers to upgrade their tv packages but also help with churn. Perhaps for every customer you add they could give you another GB per life as long as the customer stays on or give you extra tokens or something.

Dish should be tapping into some of the ideas on this board, this among them.

I don't like Caps on my bandwith usage PERIOD. A number of years back Time Warner Cable started doing them in Beaumont,Tx near where I live. I had TWC for internet only and they were already charging me $60.00 a month for that privilege . I dropped them and went with ATT ,that had no bandwith restrictions. Now about 3 years ago TWC dropped the caps and even gave deals on the base packs even without basic cable. I called them back out and I added them back. I get 20 mpbs speed a month and no caps and have paid aroud $30.00 a month for the last 3 years ,due to deals I keep getting from them. Caps are not good and any company that encourages them is not my company for internet access. Especially with a 12 year old son who lives on X-box live every weekend . His usage alone pushes my usage up in the stratosphere.

then never move to someplace without DSL, cable, or fiber.

Demands in life are often tempered by circumstances.

Thankfully in my personal circumstance, this is not a problem. IF caps make a come back on TWC , I will then drop back to the cheapest alternative and my kid will lose his personal time on the X-box.

WHAT HAPPENING 10/1/12 AT DISHNET

Dishnet internet services what's going to happen on Monday? Is Charlie going to finally give satellite broadband a lift. A curious mind would like to know.

i'd like to ask some questions to the dish dudes but every time i got online this weekend nobody was their, did they drop DIRT support here?

MikeD-C05 said:
I don't like Caps on my bandwith usage PERIOD.

I know someone said this earlier, but its not a cap on bandwidth. The cap is on usage. For laymen, think of it like a hose in your yard. You only pay once for the size of the hose (bandwidth), but the water going thru it has a recurring bill (usage).

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

If you hit you cap you can buy tokens to speed you back up. Think of this kind of like your cell phone plain only i don't really think you are charged extra like a cell phone they just slow you down. That way we all get a turn on the internet.

They slow you down way too dang much though, at least with the old systems, to a crawl, to where you might as well not even get on it. Heck, yahoo messenger wouldn't even work it was so bad. You literally cannot hardly load a simple webpage. Dialup beat it hands down when they slowed it down that much. I think it was like 5 kbps vs 56kbps on dialup. I kept a dialup account just because of that when I had it. Do the new systems work that bad too giving you that slow of speed when you go over your data cap limit?

Actually dishNet is hughesnet says so on all the trias totally different looking than the excede trias the new trias are about the size of a big Mac and the dishNet dish is about the size of a .4 dish when we install its going to be rather excede dish or dishNet dish 2 different sats to point at excede is viasat and hughesnet is now dishNet

I'm not saying you're wrong but where did you get this information. I'm getting my information directly from the retailer chat and they said everything will be branded dishNET.

I'm not saying you're wrong but where did you get this information. I'm getting my information directly from the retailer chat and they said everything will be branded dishNET.

I heard from the chat and other sources that it will all be branded DishNet but the dishes and TRIA's will be different, they'll just look the same. :)

I heard from the chat and other sources that it will all be branded DishNet but the dishes and TRIA's will be different, they'll just look the same. :)

That makes sense. Kinda like the way all dishes are branded now, we know the difference but the average person doesn't know what kind they have.

Why do people think Exede and Hughesnet are going to be the same?
Sure, they use the same reflector and different TRIAs and modems.
This dealer sounds like they are selling both Exede and Hughesnet services and are economizing on their inventory.
I don't understand how it makes sense that both an Exede and a Hughesnet end-user are going to have their service branded as "DISHnet". EchoStar and ViaSat are sworn enemies. The fact that their systems are so similar has resulted in large lawsuits for patent violations due to their extreme similarity, even down to the beam footprints. The back-end, data plans, modulation, channel plan, and speed throughput on upload and download channels are completely different.

Why do people think Exede and Hughesnet are going to be the same?
Sure, they use the same reflector and different TRIAs and modems.
This dealer sounds like they are selling both Exede and Hughesnet services and are economizing on their inventory.
I don't understand how it makes sense that both an Exede and a Hughesnet end-user are going to have their service branded as "DISHnet". EchoStar and ViaSat are sworn enemies. The fact that their systems are so similar has resulted in large lawsuits for patent violations due to their extreme similarity, even down to the beam footprints. The back-end, data plans, modulation, channel plan, and speed throughput on upload and download channels are completely different.

Apparently you are very confused. There is HughesNet and then there is Exede by Viasat. They are seperate companies, dealers, equipment, plans and prices. And then there is DishNet, which is internet access sold by Dish. Since January Dish has been selling Exede by ViaSat. As of October 1 when a customer orders DishNet they may get a HughesNet system or an Exede system, depending on what the dealer/installer puts in. Regardless whether it's HughesNet Gen4 from Jupiter or Exede from Viasat1 it is branded as DishNet and has the same prices and plans that DishNet sells. As far as the customer is concerned the service comes from DishNet and it matters not what equipment is installed. The dish outside will say DishNet on it. Hopefully that's more clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)