Dish LCD Monitors now on Website

Not sure if DishStore will offer these or not, because of the weight, because of the shipping and because of the cost. I don't know if DishStore wants to mail out a $4000 TV which gets damaged in shopping so that they have to eat the cost of the TV and shipping.

I think I will wait until they are clearanced out after they realize how much of a struggle they will have selling them and having extra stock left over that they cannot get rid of. By the time that happens though the prices of LCD's would probably drop quite a bit and then maybe they will end up selling them after losing a bundle (or at least break even if that). I wonder how much they have in these LCD's.

The prices aren't anything special at *all*. That's disappointing. I can get the Panny 37" plasma (ED) that everyone is raving about for $1800 and they want $1600 for their 30" LCD?

Pass.

A 30" LCD costs about $4000 so that's a great price. Way the heck would you want an ED TV anyways, that's crazy...

BFG said:
Way the heck would you want an ED TV anyways, that's crazy...
I could not disagree more.

Like the vast majority of consumers, the bulk of my viewing are DVD and SD (standard definition) television signals. In many direct comparisons, people have found that the Panasonic ED plasma provided the smoother, more artifact-free presentation of those sources over HD models. This has been a common observation and is supported by technical reasons (e.g. the native resolution of an ED panel is a good match for 480i/480p signals, needs less scaling etc.).

So for starters, it looks better with the vast majority of content I would actually be watching. Right there the display makes sense...and the fact that it's cheaper is gravy.

Further: for those who demand as deep black levels as possible for watching movies in low lighting, the plasma displays using the Matsushita glass are in a class by themselves. At 42" that means either the Panasonic ED model (or re-badges of that plasma) or the Panasonic HD plasma. Both offer great black levels (but in fact the ED panel has higher brightness). Again, for the content I and many others will be watching (DVD/SD), the scaling of the ED plasma will result in the more pleasing image.

As a bonus, the ED plasma also looks stunning on Hi-Def. So close to the Hi-Def 42" plasmas that many people can't tell a difference at around 10 ft (which happens to coincide with many people's viewing distance at their home).

So, with ED you've got: Better scaling of DVD and SD, and a performance on Hi-Def that is so close to an 42" HD plasma that it's hard for many to tell it's not an HD plasma.

Then you get the fact that it's up to thousands of dollars cheaper.

How's that for some reasons?

Of course, other people have other reasons for going HD at this point. But there certainly are very good reasons why people choose ED as well.

If someone wanted to use it as a computer monitor as well then they may want it to be HD. If I got an HD television I wouldnt want one sized that small but something at least 55-65". That is where LCD is not very affordable compared to projections at that price.

The specs on the website aren't very comprehensive. Does anyone know what the pixel response time is for these screens?

Brad

And I disagree with your disagreement :)

The vast majority of consumers in 1965 viewed B&W. The vast majority in 1995 viewed in analog. See where I'm going??

You are absolutely correct in that if you are primarily NOT viewing HD content, then ED may be appealing. However, I find that I'm viewing more and more HD. To be frank, about 85% of what I *want* to view is in HD. That means, I don't want to view it *because* it's HD, but that the stuff I want to view *happens to be* in HD. That also means that maintsream is becoming more and more HD available.

Second, I avoided Plasma like the plague. I went DLP because of four major factors. First, because I don't like the MTBF (reliability) or sensitivity of Plasmas. Due to the inherent nature of their fundamental technology, they're just more vulnerable to failure. Second, I wanted a larger screen size that afforded by plasma. Third, because I felt that the image quality of some DLPs rivaled plasma. Fourth, because I didn't want to deal with burn problems with plasma, limiting me in terms of what I could use it for. This had nothing to do with cost.

If somebody is buying a TV only to use for a year or two, the an ED TV is fine - or maybe if they're just getting SUCH a great deal and would never otherwise get an HD priced set.

Heck - I'd love to have native 1080p!

jdsabin1 said:
I could not disagree more.

Like the vast majority of consumers, the bulk of my viewing are DVD and SD (standard definition) television signals. In many direct comparisons, people have found that the Panasonic ED plasma provided the smoother, more artifact-free presentation of those sources over HD models. This has been a common observation and is supported by technical reasons (e.g. the native resolution of an ED panel is a good match for 480i/480p signals, needs less scaling etc.).

So for starters, it looks better with the vast majority of content I would actually be watching. Right there the display makes sense...and the fact that it's cheaper is gravy.

Further: for those who demand as deep black levels as possible for watching movies in low lighting, the plasma displays using the Matsushita glass are in a class by themselves. At 42" that means either the Panasonic ED model (or re-badges of that plasma) or the Panasonic HD plasma. Both offer great black levels (but in fact the ED panel has higher brightness). Again, for the content I and many others will be watching (DVD/SD), the scaling of the ED plasma will result in the more pleasing image.

As a bonus, the ED plasma also looks stunning on Hi-Def. So close to the Hi-Def 42" plasmas that many people can't tell a difference at around 10 ft (which happens to coincide with many people's viewing distance at their home).

So, with ED you've got: Better scaling of DVD and SD, and a performance on Hi-Def that is so close to an 42" HD plasma that it's hard for many to tell it's not an HD plasma.

Then you get the fact that it's up to thousands of dollars cheaper.

How's that for some reasons?

Of course, other people have other reasons for going HD at this point. But there certainly are very good reasons why people choose ED as well.

wmhjr said:
The vast majority of consumers in 1965 viewed B&W. The vast majority in 1995 viewed in analog. See where I'm going??

You are absolutely correct in that if you are primarily NOT viewing HD content, then ED may be appealing. However, I find that I'm viewing more and more HD. To be frank, about 85% of what I *want* to view is in HD. That means, I don't want to view it *because* it's HD, but that the stuff I want to view *happens to be* in HD. That also means that maintsream is becoming more and more HD available.

Second, I avoided Plasma like the plague. I went DLP because of four major factors. First, because I don't like the MTBF (reliability) or sensitivity of Plasmas. Due to the inherent nature of their fundamental technology, they're just more vulnerable to failure. Second, I wanted a larger screen size that afforded by plasma. Third, because I felt that the image quality of some DLPs rivaled plasma. Fourth, because I didn't want to deal with burn problems with plasma, limiting me in terms of what I could use it for. This had nothing to do with cost.

If somebody is buying a TV only to use for a year or two, the an ED TV is fine - or maybe if they're just getting SUCH a great deal and would never otherwise get an HD priced set.

Heck - I'd love to have native 1080p!
You've pointed out fundamental differences in the content that you are watching versus the content I am watching. Sure I love HD but let's face it, it's a mere nth when compared to everything that is currently out there. On top of that, plasma is the defacto standard by which all other displays are judged. Not saying DLP or LCD aren't great (they are) but when side by side, the plasma is the best of the bunch, all other things being equal.

ED looks AS GOOD as the HD's at a viewing distance of 10+ feet out (which is where most folks find themselves sitting) with a screen in the 37-42" range. Side by side at 10 feet I could not see any discernable difference between the Panny ED and their HD model (which was literally thousand more) running pure HD through it. And the DVD going through either is exactly the same (beautiful).

That's a win/win.

Still, you have proven that a lot of factors go into the purchase of a television set, and what's great for one person, isn't necessarily great for another.

Partially agree, but not on everything

Pretty much all of prime time broadcasting is in HD now. Pretty much all major sports events. So, to me it's not a mere nth - unless that "n" is an exponent.

As far as plasma, yup - it looks great. BUT - the defacto standard is slipping and I did compare side by side. I do not prefer plasma - and it has nothing to do with price (unless you consider that I don't want to replace the unit every couple years or worry about a complete inability to repair major damage caused by burning).

As for ED vs HD - Nope. Can't agree at all. ED does NOT (to me) look anywhere near as good as HD at a viewing distance of about 10' for a reasonably sized HD screen (which to me are 42-55"). A 37" is too small at that difference to see properly.

You won't see a difference with DVD because - yup - it's not HD. Yet.

But, I do agree that everyone has different points of view. I'm not saying that ED is garbage. I'm just saying that I don't think it's prudent to shell out big bucks for yesterdays technology right now.

Now, if you could take the reliability of DLP and a couple advantages of Plasma......

jdsabin1 said:
You've pointed out fundamental differences in the content that you are watching versus the content I am watching. Sure I love HD but let's face it, it's a mere nth when compared to everything that is currently out there. On top of that, plasma is the defacto standard by which all other displays are judged. Not saying DLP or LCD aren't great (they are) but when side by side, the plasma is the best of the bunch, all other things being equal.

ED looks AS GOOD as the HD's at a viewing distance of 10+ feet out (which is where most folks find themselves sitting) with a screen in the 37-42" range. Side by side at 10 feet I could not see any discernable difference between the Panny ED and their HD model (which was literally thousand more) running pure HD through it. And the DVD going through either is exactly the same (beautiful).

That's a win/win.

Still, you have proven that a lot of factors go into the purchase of a television set, and what's great for one person, isn't necessarily great for another.

wmhjr said:
Pretty much all of prime time broadcasting is in HD now. Pretty much all major sports events. So, to me it's not a mere nth - unless that "n" is an exponent.

As far as plasma, yup - it looks great. BUT - the defacto standard is slipping and I did compare side by side. I do not prefer plasma - and it has nothing to do with price (unless you consider that I don't want to replace the unit every couple years or worry about a complete inability to repair major damage caused by burning).

As for ED vs HD - Nope. Can't agree at all. ED does NOT (to me) look anywhere near as good as HD at a viewing distance of about 10' for a reasonably sized HD screen (which to me are 42-55"). A 37" is too small at that difference to see properly.

You won't see a difference with DVD because - yup - it's not HD. Yet.

But, I do agree that everyone has different points of view. I'm not saying that ED is garbage. I'm just saying that I don't think it's prudent to shell out big bucks for yesterdays technology right now.

Now, if you could take the reliability of DLP and a couple advantages of Plasma......
Yes, I was talking exponential. When I have Dish with 100+ channels, the majority of those are NOT HD. And won't be for a long time either. I watch a lot of prime time in fact that isn't HD as well. All semantics though as it's each individual viewers choice.

Not sure why you talk about replacing a plasma set every few years and you seem to be stuck on the burn-in issue. Burn-in was valid for early gen plasma sets but we're in 7th gen at this point and the plasma manufacturers have made major strides from a burn-in perspective. Aside from that problem being taken care of with technology, I don't plan on leaving the set on with a static image on it for days on end anyway so it's a moot point. 60,000 hours life span. With that in mind, I'll have sold the set long before it burns up.

As far as ED vs HD, it seems to be a matter of opinion I guess. I saw it with my very own eyes on both the 37 and 42 and at 10+ feet, I could not tell a difference between ED and HD looking at pure HD content. *shrug*

The DVD story between ED and HD shouldn't be discounted either as I have hundreds of DVD's that won't just go away when the new HD DVD standard goes mainstream. That means that the ED and HD plasma's display the exact same picture quality when viewing DVD content. While I don't watch HDTV content exclusively (lots of SD), I certainly DO watch a lot of DVDs.

As far as shelling out 'big bucks', that's a matter of opinion also it seems. At $1600-ish or so (Panny 37" Plasma ED), that doesn't seem like big bucks to me.

Moral of the story? To each their own. :)

Look, we agree on some but not on other points

1) The overwhelming majority of those 100+ channels are (to me) without value. Geez - how many shopping channels do you need? How many are channels that just broadcast reruns of previous network shows. I'll bet I've never tuned once to the vast majority. If I had a choice, I wouldn't get them. But, Charlie makes me. The important thing is the the channels that the *majority* of people watch the *most* are largely in HD. An anology for me is that there are LOTS roads in the US. But, the ones used most heavily with the most traffic are the ones that ought to get more attention. Major networks are the biggest, baddest roads in broadcast. Bottom line for me? Almost every single thing I really want to watch is already currently available in HD. HD DVRs really make me happy!

2) I talk about plasma damage and replacement because I've had to replace them frequently for my business. Problems and failures range from screens simply dying, to minor damage to to bumping it with something, from power fluctuations that didn't affect any other devices, and burning. Ages of those screens vary, but even Pioneer plasmas that I purchased only a handful of months ago have failed. More importantly, when they fail, they really fail. Repair cannot be justified by the cost. Is the business utilization different than at home? Sure. But, it's a great indicator.

3) ED vs HD. Yup, ED looks great, and it looks every bit as good as an HD set (of equal quality of course) when viewing current DVDs. And, yes, I'm going to be seeing lots of DVDs into the future. If I were only buying a set for DVDs, it would be a different story. I guess another large variable for me is that I also want larger than 37". That's just not big enough for me as in 16:9 format, it's really like a 30" or so 4:3 set. Too small for my HT room

The last point is that all sets are not created equal. Some plasma sets look great, while others look pretty rough. Same holds true for LCDs, DLPs, etc. So, YMMV in any case. I'm glad you're happy with your Panny - to be honest I'd love to have it in my bedroom to replace the Toshiba 26" 4:3. But, before I spent the money I'd be more likely to add a 34" direct view HD set. Let's face it - the absolute BEST picture is still direct view. You just have to be able to live with the depth and weight.

jdsabin1 said:
Yes, I was talking exponential. When I have Dish with 100+ channels, the majority of those are NOT HD. And won't be for a long time either. I watch a lot of prime time in fact that isn't HD as well. All semantics though as it's each individual viewers choice.

Not sure why you talk about replacing a plasma set every few years and you seem to be stuck on the burn-in issue. Burn-in was valid for early gen plasma sets but we're in 7th gen at this point and the plasma manufacturers have made major strides from a burn-in perspective. Aside from that problem being taken care of with technology, I don't plan on leaving the set on with a static image on it for days on end anyway so it's a moot point. 60,000 hours life span. With that in mind, I'll have sold the set long before it burns up.

As far as ED vs HD, it seems to be a matter of opinion I guess. I saw it with my very own eyes on both the 37 and 42 and at 10+ feet, I could not tell a difference between ED and HD looking at pure HD content. *shrug*

The DVD story between ED and HD shouldn't be discounted either as I have hundreds of DVD's that won't just go away when the new HD DVD standard goes mainstream. That means that the ED and HD plasma's display the exact same picture quality when viewing DVD content. While I don't watch HDTV content exclusively (lots of SD), I certainly DO watch a lot of DVDs.

As far as shelling out 'big bucks', that's a matter of opinion also it seems. At $1600-ish or so (Panny 37" Plasma ED), that doesn't seem like big bucks to me.

Moral of the story? To each their own. :)

What off brand manufacturer makes these? After you buy it who will repair it? With DISH "Notwerks" history you can bet it is made by the cheapest overseas manufacturer they could find with no quality requirements and maybe no U.S. service facilities except DISH and I wouldn't want to rely on them for keeping it running.

The Dish Network LCD HDTV's are made by a company called ByDes|gn. Check out their website at http://www.flatisbetter.com

These are VERY nice TV's much better then the Dish Network Branded RCA units they were selling.

If Dish had a set service program setup for these LCD TV's I would want one of these TV's. My problem is once the TV is installed in your house, no one knows who services the TV is something goes wrong or how long it will take them to fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts