DISH Limits? DVR's? Receivers?

Byron56

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
We currently have 3 DVR receivers - a 508, 721, and 622.

Does DISH have any limits regarding what one can have on a single account? Could we upgrade to have 3 622's?

I think the limit is five receivers (not tuners) but only four tuners can be leased.

No limit, as far as how many DVR fees they will let you pay. The 508 and 721 don't have the fee, the newer ones do.

Limit is 6 receivers if all 6 are dual tuners that would be 12 tuners of which only 4 can be leased but the rest can be owned if your pockets are deep enough.

Limit is 6 receivers if all 6 are dual tuners that would be 12 tuners of which only 4 can be leased but the rest can be owned if your pockets are deep enough.

Yes, anything beyond 4 leased tuners is yours to pay for as you like. Your cost may also include any necessary additional equipment--beyond set-top-boxes--that support more than the 4 leased tuners. Additional equipment may include LNBF's, additional switches and labor provided for install. You can call Dish and get a quote on the cost, talk to a local retailer, or do it yourself.

The 4 leased limit has been waived for some, if you are of good standing, sounds like you are, the ceo@echostar.com would be worth a try.

"Waived" is not the term to use for it. It's a company-wide business rule so not something a CSR can change. It can be disregarded, but you don't want to be that CSR when the account with the fifth leased tuner activated on it is found...

zero327, not sure what you are saying about "you dont want to be that CSR", can you clarify.
However to be clear, i suggested using the ceo@echostar.com address, i wouldnt use a csr.

The CEO address is answered by CSR's, but anyways... It is physically possible to activate more than 5 leased tuners on any given account. The highest number I've ever seen was around 16. It is not legitimate under E* rules however to activate more than 4. Any CSR CAN do it, the "smart" ones won't.

There are only a handful of accounts where this can legitimately happen (say if Rupert Murdoch ordered an account) but for the other 7B people on the planet, the limit is 4 leased tuners. If that rule is breached, you get a nice call from audit sooner or later, and whoever activated that unit won't be on good terms with E* when that account is found. You will not be permitted to keep more than 4 leased activated, mistake or not.

Again, possible, not allowed. And they don't have much more latitude than a regular CSR, they're just more readily agreeable to breaking the rules (until they get caught.)

The point is moot. Accounts with more than 4 leased tuners are high on EVT's to do list. *shrug* Even the legitimate ones.

You will not be permitted to keep more than 4 leased activated, mistake or not.

That is too funny! What exactly are they going to do shut them off? I think not. I've got 2 622s and 1 322 all leased. I can assure you that I am not anyone "special". I just asked for it and they gave it to me. The audit police can't do anything to me as my receivers are all in one place and plugged into phone lines.

I don't believe that at all. They are going to piss off a customer by shutting off a reciever that they already installed and the person is paying for. That would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I also have three leased duel tuner receivers. Just recently swapped out leased 522 for 622 So i had 2 622's and a 522 leased, now have 3 622's leased. i have been a customer since 1998 so that may have had something to do with it, but it can be done!!!!!!

I don't believe that at all. They are going to piss off a customer by shutting off a reciever that they already installed and the person is paying for. That would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Chuck doesn't care 9/10 times when giving the customer what they want breaks a company business rule. He's more likely to enforce the rule, and audit doesn't even struggle with that dilemma, they'll flip off the extra tuners EVERY time the account is in violation.

And before you think of threatening a disconnection, some of the disconnects of people trying to get free upgrades, come from situations exactly like this. They can shut off your account if you "ask" (read as threaten to cancel so you can get what you want.) Technically, they're legally obligated to, but that's a seperate issue.

I don't see why it's a difficult concept. Chuck isn't willing to chance more than $1000.00 maximum per customer in leased equipment. If a CSR is stupid enough to go over that, he just brings the equipment back (or else.)

It's only a matter of time until audit finds that account, and you won't enjoy that call. Every retailer should know this (CSR too for that matter,) customers still ask daily though. The days of car lot bargaining with CSRs and DISH over the phone are coming to an end.

You claim that it happens all the time, but I have NEVER read about it happening here. If it was as common as you claim then I am positive that we would have heard about it. I would love to hear from someone that has had a receiver pulled because of a limit.

You claim that it happens all the time, but I have NEVER read about it happening here. If it was as common as you claim then I am positive that we would have heard about it. I would love to hear from someone that has had a receiver pulled because of a limit.

No you wouldn't, most are called ex-customers. I claimed that it was a business rule and failure to comply results in an audit and deactivation of the excess tuners, nothing more. You don't hear about it very often because only a handful of CSR's are stupid enough to do it. Think of it this way, how many accounts do you know of that do have more than 4? A couple, sure; but the number over 13.56 million customers, is less than you'd think.

At any rate, again, the point is moot. Sooner or later, a call will come and you'll have all the proof you require. There will always be a CSR stupid enough to break the rules, and there will always be a customer clueless enough to think they're the exception to the rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)