Dish LIVE Retailer Chat Recap - December 20, 2006

Then vote with your feet and pursue the better deal. Things won't change until enough people drive the churn number up. If he raises prices 10% and only 2% leave, then nothing will deter him from continuing the increases.

I think this will be the last big increase for a while. Fios is looming large and is almost ready for prime time. Right now, Verizon's DVR is the only thing keeping me from itching to switch...

You heard anything new in our area. Firos has my phone number and email address but I have not heard anything. They now have all the approval of the governing bodies. If I were doing any switches it could involve broadband and Cablevision changes as well.

Just dropped Starz and downgraded from Silver to Bronze=$15.00x12=$180.00savings=5 current subcribers needed to make up loss=1 year of Netflix with no repeat movies.

Well most cable companies when they have price increase give you nothing at all. So yes some will have more than a $3 increase but most folks will not. Either way atleast Dish is giveing folks more for their money. Which is better than nothing at all.

Well most cable companies when they have price increase give you nothing at all. So yes some will have more than a $3 increase but most folks will not. Either way atleast Dish is giveing folks more for their money. Which is better than nothing at all.

Giving? Giving What? & more for there Money?pfttt!
I refer to my orginal post? what Ch. are we Aep SD people getting to Justify this, and please don't say the NFL ch. ( I love football to death , but the NFL Ch. just blows)

...If he raises prices 10% and only 2% leave, then nothing will deter him from continuing the increases...

Half of the increase would probably go towards the increased cost brought to him and the other half towards the additional profit from that increase. If the price goes up 10% and if he loses 5% (1 in 20 which aint going to happen) just because of the price increase then he will break even with it. I'd say it would have to be a price inrease of $5 or more on the basic packages that would drive people to switch services. $3 is about the max that would be acceptable by the masses.

Eventually I can see the HD channels included in the basic packages and just needing the HD hardware in order to receive those channels unless IPTV / competition overtakes them by then. Satellite's advantages just seem to be dwindeling in many markets.

Eventually I can see the HD channels included in the basic packages and just needing the HD hardware in order to receive those channels unless IPTV / competition overtakes them by then. Satellite's advantages just seem to be dwindeling in many markets.
IPTV ?? For a 720p picture you need ALL of a high-bandwidth expensive broadband connection, let alone a 1080i connection. IPTV is fine for delivering niche channels to specific audiences, but it's not likely to ever be a way of delivering several channels at once to a residence -at least not in the USA.

I also shudder to think of what the standard Intenet backbones will react to having any significant percentage of current TV viewing in the US suddenly added to their traffic ! :eek:

You need Fiber Optic (FIOS) to compete with Satellite TV or Cable TV, but I don't think you will see that in Joe Sixpack's home...

PS I do agree that within a couple of years, HD will just be a characteristic of a channel, just as Stereo or Close Captioning is now. When you tune to "FoodTV" it will give you HD if your equipment is setup for it, otherwise it will give SD. You won't have to know different channel numbers for HD and SD versions, the receiver will take care of it - just like the current receivers use the two-digit channel numbers for your local channels.

The real promise of IPTV is the delivery of high quality SD/HD from your local area provider (cable/telco). Although very cool technology, I agree with kstuart in that IPTV is not ready to compete on a national level. Unlike VOIP (Vonage, SunRocket, Packet8), the bandwidth is just not there [yet] to support massive high-quality datastreams.

what I dont understand is they give me a 18 month contract and I would have thought it is 18 months at the same rate. for $3 more a month they better give me something more....

dish doesn't make a contract with you, you make the contract to staywith dish
dish does what ever they want to do.

Don't know where that came from. As has been clearly posted, the contract allows for price increases. Your rates WILL go up in Feb, contract or no contract, unless you have "Family" or "AT60."

They should make that clear to the people @ the toll free order # b/c they told me the price was locked in for 18 month. I didn't take the contract option b/c I dislike contracts, but those who do should get that guarantee. Telephone companies lock in their prices on contracts in both cell service and internet service.

SCOTT,

Great thread, BUTttttttttttt

You should lock this or post it as a 'sticky' so ppl don't have to go through 14 pages of BS to find all of YOUR posts on the chat.

Then maybe open it for comments AFTER you have completed your posts.

fred

Could this be another one of those things that they said they would release just like NBR on the 501, 508, 510 or the USB storage on the MPEG-2 HD DVR?

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that is listed as "coming soon" or coming in a future upgrade is vaporware as far as I am concerned. For the last 10 years I have seen less than 10% of the great new features/capabilities and new product that they have touted as coming in the future. I am still waiting from my 721/501 NBR I was promised 5 years ago :)

See ya
Tony

Most likely if they announce a new receiver / lineup they are coming out with then you will have to wait until it is released to get the new functionality.

Jan 07 and still no USB Storage. Shame on Dish!

Wait for CES. If they mention it it is still potentially coming. If it vanishes from the discussion, it will follow firewire on the 921 and internet access on the 721 into the land of vaporware...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts