Dish LNB Compatibility

Christopher Cromwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Lexington, KY.
This is a real easy question for most of you. I'm thinking of buying a Dish 211z receiver to subscribe to international packages. Is the 211z reciever compatible with the Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus LNB?? If not, what's the best Dish LNB can I use for this receiver for TVJAPAN for example? I have an old Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus LNB in the attic I would like to use with this receiver on an existing dish if it will work. Thanks!

What all international channels are you wanting? If you are wanting anything that is on 118.7W (Anik F3) you will have to have a Dish 1000 Plus LNBF that gets 110, 119, 118.7, and 129. No other LNBF will work with the internationals on 118.7W it is a FSS satellite that is in the 11.7-12.2 Ghz band rather than the BSS band. I think they made a Dish 500 version of it too, like a 500 Plus are something that didn't get 129, but you'd might as well get 129 with that 211K receiver.

Reactions: TheKrell
What all international channels are you wanting? If you are wanting anything that is on 118.7W (Anik F3) you will have to have a Dish 1000 Plus LNBF that gets 110, 119, 118.7, and 129. No other LNBF will work with the internationals on 118.7W it is a FSS satellite that is in the 11.7-12.2 Ghz band rather than the BSS band. I think they made a Dish 500 version of it too, like a 500 Plus are something that didn't get 129, but you'd might as well get 129 with that 211K receiver.

Oh... :( Well, the only Dish International Package I was wanting to get for sure is the Japanese Package channel, maybe the French one later too.

I'm trying to get the Dish Network Japanese International Package, without losing my Direct TV account that I'm otherwise very happy with. :) I'm also trying to go about it in a way that will be the least hassle and least expensive. I don't want to have a runaround with the Dish people that I have to completely switch everything over, just for this one or two extra international channels. It is a very fascinating channel, and willing to learn Japanese if I can watch it.

I even called Dish Network's "Dish On The Go" Mobile Department to see if I could get the Japanese International Package that way; far more expensive! She reassured me several times over that I could get the Japanese International Package with that equipment, all she has to do is "activate it, or turn it on" she told me. All she knew was from her computer screen. But from what you said, maybe that Wineguard Moblie antenna wouldn't have the FSS technology??

On the other hand, I do have a couple of Universal FTA LNBF'S that are able to receive the Dish Network BSS & FSS Signals; just come up scrambled on my FTA Receiver. The FTA LNBF'S I have do receive up to the 11.7-12.2Ghz band, but the Dish 211z receiver may not recognize my FTA LNBF'S and throw an error, does that sound about right?? I was still thinking of trying it though, and if the 211z receiver will work with my FTA LNBF'S without throwing an error, I could subscribe to the International Package without much of a hassle or argument.

I also have an FTA Invacom LNBF that includes a Circular output connection designed for Dish Network, *I've been told*; just never tried to see if it would work with Dish Equipment. I do know the Invacom does receive up to the 11.7-12.2Ghz band too.

Last edited:
The Anik bird at 118 has a unique broadcast signal. No other satellite uses this so you need an LNBF made just for that bird. It is in the FSS frequency range but uses circular polarity like Dishes other birds.

The Anik bird at 118 has a unique broadcast signal. No other satellite uses this so you need an LNBF made just for that bird. It is in the FSS frequency range but uses circular polarity like Dishes other birds.

Hmmmm.... thats interesting. Ok, so if I get a LNB exactly like this one, and figure out a way to attach it to my 90cm Ku Band Dish, I can subscribe to the Dish International channels on the Anik 118 satellite, correct? :)

Attachments

• 1474375154422.jpg
    1474375154422.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 215
I'm not a dish customer and don't know what they offer but I think you need a basic sub to add international channels to, minimal. That lnbf has a couple of different mounting brackets for use on different reflectors. It was not made to add to any generic Ku dish per say. So you have a challenge to try and mount that LNBF. The one I have up has the bracket designed for a 121 SuperDish conversion.

I'm not a dish customer and don't know what they offer but I think you need a basic sub to add international channels to, minimal. That lnbf has a couple of different mounting brackets for use on different reflectors. It was not made to add to any generic Ku dish per say. So you have a challenge to try and mount that LNBF. The one I have up has the bracket designed for a 121 SuperDish conversion.

Any chance you could maybe post a pic of what you have? I have a few ideas in mind to get that LNB mounted to my FTA Dish, won't be easy like you mentioned. I just really need to make sure if that LNB would be the correct one for Dish International Channels before I buy it? I would guess it's the right one?

I have a "118 Repoint Kit" mounted to my old 121Superdish. But here's another issue. The LNBF combo requires the use of a DPP SW44 and power inserter to be properly utilized by the Dish receiver. Since I'm not using a Dish receiver I don't need anything more than a simple 4x1 DiSEqC switch for my needs. So I'm thinking if you are going to sub to get the international channels why not let them provide a dish?
DishFarm16 005.JPG View attachment 120338

I have a "118 Repoint Kit" mounted to my old 121Superdish. But here's another issue. The LNBF combo requires the use of a DPP SW44 and power inserter to be properly utilized by the Dish receiver. Since I'm not using a Dish receiver I don't need anything more than a simple 4x1 DiSEqC switch for my needs. So I'm thinking if you are going to sub to get the international channels why not let them provide a dish?
View attachment 120337 View attachment 120338

I do have two extra dishes I could use easy enough. Bad news is, my wife has a strict limit of no more than 3 satellite dishes on the roof or elsewhere. I'm at the limit of 3 dishes now on the roof, so I have to use and get by with what I already have. Even if I was to stack a 4th dish on top of the 3rd, she will eventually see it and not like it. I think the more dishes the better, but my wife thinks it makes us look like White Trash to the neighbors; when they don't nessessarily think so. Thanks for the pic! Gives me more to think about.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I do have two extra dishes I could use easy enough. Bad news is, my wife has a strict limit of no more than 3 satellite dishes on the roof or elsewhere. I'm at the limit of 3 dishes now on the roof, so I have to use and get by with what I already have. Even if I was to stack a 4th dish on top of the 3rd, she will eventually see it and not like it. I think the more dishes the better, but my wife thinks it makes us look like White Trash to the neighbors; when they don't nessessarily think so. Thanks for the pic! Gives me more to think about.
I am so sorry and understand your predicament keeping your wife happy. I would love to have dishes mounted all over the place too but I am also under restriction by the Mrs!

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DROID using the SatelliteGuys app!

By the way, I would only be using one Dish 211z receiver and one LNB in the pic I provided earlier for the 118 satellite. I wouldn't still need a switch or power inserter just for that, would I? :)

By the way, I would only be using one Dish 211z receiver and one LNB in the pic I provided earlier for the 118 satellite. I wouldn't still need a switch or power inserter just for that, would I? :)
Dish receivers are not really programmable, settings wise. You have a few options of switch and dish setups but a single on 118 is not one of them for sure. So the receiver would complain of problems in the setup.

I've not seen the 211z, but I'm somewhat sure that if you have a dish pointed correctly at 118 with the proper LNBF, you could just plug it in and run check switch. It should eventually find something.

I seem to remember a thread awhile back where someone posted that the guide data for the channels on the 118 satellite is actually provided from a different satellite location, so you may need more than just 118 to be able to get those channels with guide data. From personal experience, I tried using an old QPSK receiver (Model 501) which now only recognizes channels from the 118 satellite, and the program guide would no longer download.

Ok, well I ended up getting the brand new 500+ Dish Pro Plus LNB that gets the 119, 118 and 110, I think (latest version); it has the built in switches too. All I need to do is run the cable from the receiver to the LNB which would be easier and cheaper than getting the switches and power inserter. Unless I still need the power inserter for some reason? But like you guys were saying, the dish receiver would need the 119 satellite for the Program Guide. Like you guys were saying too, the receiver would probably throw an error if I tried to use my FTA LNB'S. I have a few ideas to attach the Dish LNB to my FTA Dish, and motor the dish over to the location I need it too. :)

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts