Dish Local HD

padre1161

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Help,

I live in San Luis Obispo County and currently only NBC is broadcast in HD. Most people in my area subscribe to Direct and get all the local network stations in HD. When I input my zipcode at the Direct site it does show me getting all my local networks in HD. How is this possible? Is Direct upconverting the signal and claiming it to be HD?

If your local aren't in HD,Thats not Dish or Directvs fault. Directv did their part and providing you with everything you need to watch HD from your local networks. So your best bet is to call your local networks and complain.

He's asking how DirecTv can offer HD locals when only one network is actually broadcasting in HD.

OP: IF DirecTv is showing those cahnnels in HD format, they must be upconverting them.

He's asking how DirecTv can offer HD locals when only one network is actually broadcasting in HD.

OP: IF DirecTv is showing those cahnnels in HD format, they must be upconverting them.
Directv can make every channel available in HD ,But yes providers have to be in HD as well. I said it once D* did everything for this station to be in HD that they can. Now its up to the local network to get their but in gear and deliver. There is also a lot of stations that are ready for HD but D* and E* aren't ready for.

Help,

I live in San Luis Obispo County and currently only NBC is broadcast in HD. Most people in my area subscribe to Direct and get all the local network stations in HD. When I input my zipcode at the Direct site it does show me getting all my local networks in HD. How is this possible? Is Direct upconverting the signal and claiming it to be HD?
No amount of upconverting will change a SD signal to an HD signal. But, I see that the FOX affiliate (11.1) is also digital there. CBS in Santa Maria is only 35 miles away, and that has a digital signal that Direct is probably using for your area. Looks like the ABC and PBS stations there are using repeaters in your area. Don't know what the digital transition rules are for those. Direct may be using the flagship station digital signal.

And :welcome

Maybe he's saying that Dish is only carrying NBC but that Directv is carrying others in HD and he is wondering why? (I'm not sure, but that was my initial reading of the question.)

CDH.

Atleast you get local STATIONS! Be thankful for that because Direct nor Dish offers local stations for my AREA!

I feel your pain-- no locals here either not even SD
And not possible to get all the stations OTA for due to mountains.

Fortunately have a good understanding of "moving"

padre1161 - I feel your pain. I'm just a little north of you in Atascadero, and since we are north of the grade we can't get the NBC station in HD. I finally went the Canadian route and get all the nets in HD, but it isn't a painless set-up and I have to pay for a 2nd satellite service.

I have been keeping my eye on this too in the hopes that they would eventually provide locals in HD for our area, but I think that is a long way off. We are in a small ADI and will be the last to go HD.

What is the Canadian route for getting network HD stations in my area? When I plug my zipcode into antennaweb.org and titantv only my local NBC is listed as broadcasting in HD. Maybe both sites are wrong?

What is the Canadian route for getting network HD stations in my area? When I plug my zipcode into antennaweb.org and titantv only my local NBC is listed as broadcasting in HD. Maybe both sites are wrong?

Some folks who do have the option for networks via OTA or SAT will utilize a SAT dish service from Canadian companies. From what I understand it takes a little bit of "go around" to make it work by utilizing brokers and addresses in Canada. Check the home page there is a seperate section on this forum for Sat Service from Canada. Those services broadcast US networks and most of the other US channels on a very broad beam that reaches much of the US also.

I watched Star Choice service while vacationing in Mexico. Many Canada second homes there.

Other options include "moving" your Dish Network service address to a Network HD eligible area. Only works if you select address in right location and in one that has spot beam or Conus that hits where you "actually" live. Have to make sure you have that SAT in your equipment setup. Paperless billing etc. Not officially sanctioned by Dish or Direct due to government "rules".
Search this forum for "moving" threads for more.

Other option-- but not in HD--- is All American Direct for distant nets if you can qualify using an "RV waiver" They use dish network service to supply feed to you. What qualifies as a RV is broader than some might guess. Happen to have a van or something that you "use" to camp etc.

I just entered ZIP 93408 into titantv.com and for tonight 3/4 it lists both NBC KSBY and CBS KCOY as showing HD shows.

Your ABC affiliate KEYT also broadcasts in HD, so titantv is incorrectly not listing them as HD. KEYT Goes HDTV | Santa Barbara's News, Weather, and Sports | Local

And Cox cable lists your FOX affiliate KKFX as available in HD. Cox Communications - digital cable TV, high speed broadband Internet access (ISP), and digital telephone services

So it appears your big 4 networks are all available in HD, as it states on D* site. And from this site, it appears they were added in April 2007 on D*.

I'm located in Santa Maria. The only stations broadcasting over the air in HD are NBC and CBS. Both Fox and ABC broadcast OTA digital, but ABC has problems with their OTA signal (it's very weak). Most land-based cable companies offer CBS/Fox/ABC/NBC in HD. Direct offers them all as well. Dish doesn't apparently have the bandwidth or agreements in place to offer our locals in HD right now. Hopefully that will change later this year with the supposed expansion of HD locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)