Dish Locals VS. DTV Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bfbchief

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I was going through Direct TV web site and saw that they have additional local channels compaired to Dish.

They have what is called Neighboring Local Channels. Meaning I would be able to get some channels from MA and RI (I live in Northeastern CT)

So I would get all the local channels (all CT locals) I get with DISH now...plus 3 more (one from MA and two from RI).....kind of how it was with cable TV.

My question....my can DTV do this but Dish can not? Are there any plans for this?

I hate to say it...but DTV is looking better and better by the moment. Please don't get me wrong I am not bashing DISH...but what the heck?

In the late 1990's, both Dish Network and DirecTV were sued by any combination of the four major networks and all four afflilate boards of those networks. Because Dish Network and DirecTV are satellite companies, they had the ability to take local network channels and broadcast them nationwide, provided they did not give those "distant newtork channels" to customers that could actually receive those networks with an antenna. This law, called the Satellite Home Viewers Act, amended copyright code (17 USC 119) to allow a very narrow group of people, those without antenna access to a network, to get those unavailable networks from a satellite company.

However, it turns out both DirecTV and Dish Network gave out distant networks like Halloween candy. Both were sued in the late '90's. I believe DirecTV was sued in early 1997 and Dish Network was sued in the middle of 1998. DirecTV settled right before an injunction was to be placed on them in Feburary, 1999. Dish Network fought the lawsuit.

In 1999, the law was revisited, and the Satellite Home Viewers Improvement Act (SHVIA) was signed into law, which gave the satellite companies the ability to retransmit local channels, to subscribers which reside in the same market as the local channels. These would be the channels you get.

In 2004, the law was again revisited, and the Satellite Home Viewers Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) authorized these "Signficantly Viewed" stations, which DirecTV is calling Neighboring Local Channels, subject to the same license as the "distant networks" in 17 USC 119.

On 1 December 2006, the lawsuit against Dish Network for their copyright infringement wrapped up with the enforcement of a permanent injunction against the use of the 17 USC 119 license, for willful and repeated violations of the law. This means Dish Network CANNOT retransmit significantly-viewed stations, EVER, unless the law is changed.

I guess that would explain it....So stick with Dish or move to DTV or Cable if I want those channels.

Thank you for your help on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)