Dish Loses 94,000 Subs In 1Q

Oh you didn't imply that I come on here to complain? You did in one of your posts. I had no idea who that guy was. I'm not on here enough to know. He replied to an At&t post I didn't see anything wrong with it. I figured he worked for them from your reply.

The stuff I posted above is true. You tried to imply I was a troll because I said something about the fees. You said I come here to complain. Yes I did. Again if that makes you or anyone else here angry that's on you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes, you do come here to complain and you said that it's alright for an AT&T 'enthusiast' to come here and push DirecTV and that I do the same with DISH, which I do not. No matter how you try and spin it the facts are the facts.

You have a nice evening now. Good bye.

Reactions: Jillian2
Yes, you do come here to complain and you said that it's alright for an AT&T 'enthusiast' to come here and push DirecTV and that I do the same with DISH, which I do not. No matter how you try and spin it the facts are the facts.

You have a nice evening now. Good bye.
You have a nice evening too. Its TV. Calm down. Ignore is your friend.

I can remember all of the rusting pick trucks and cars that we’re fairly new made buy Datsun

I drove a bright orange Datsun pickup across the country several times. I had it for 9 years, most of which were in VA. I don't remember it ever rusting. My Mazda B2000, though, is another story. :(

Part of the reason for the Datsun name was Nissan was clearly a Japanese name and there were still plenty of hard feelings over Pearl Harbor, even in the 60s, so they chose Datsun which wouldn't be automatically associated with Japan by those WW2 veterans that had seen Nissan cars in Japan.
Keep in mind, WWII was as far back from them as 9-11 is to us. ie., not long at all.

The reason I know the Matsushita story is that not long out of college, I went to work for JVC and bought an Audi Fox. So I drive home and my father sees that I worked for a Japanese company and drove a German car. He wondered just who the hell lost the war?!

Keep in mind, WWII was as far back from them as 9-11 is to us. ie., not long at all.

The reason I know the Matsushita story is that not long out of college, I went to work for JVC and bought an Audi Fox. So I drive home and my father sees that I worked for a Japanese company and drove a German car. He wondered just who the hell lost the war?!
Yeah, I bought a new 77 Toyota Long Bed on Labor Day 1977. In 1985 my Uncle was visiting from New York. He was a WWII vet as was my father. As he pulled into my driveway he asked why I had to buy a Jap (his word) vehicle why not an American vehicle. I explained to him that the American small trucks were also Japanese, just had American make names. I thought he was going to blow a gasket when he saw my 50" Mitsubishi front projection TV! :D

If I recall correctly, Datsun was the number one import at the time. Toyota overtook them in the confusion.

I remember when Panasonic wanted to change their name in the US to Matsushita. The Americans actually prevailed in telling them how absolutely STUPID that would be. So much so that, years later, they changed the corporate from Matsushita to Panasonic worldwide.
Matsushita was a victim of censorship. I remember years ago, on that other satellite forum, any time anyone would post something about Matsushita, their software would apparently detect a swear word in the middle of it and delete it, making it look something like "Matsu...a" :)

What will prevent Directv Now Sling from doing better and some cable/satellite customers from staying on board are the local channels.

Reactions: Pere845
It was sad to watch the Japanese electronic companies put the American companies out of business, now we're watching the Koreans eat the Japanese. Soon it'll be the Chinese eating up the Korean companies.

When was the last time you saw a Panasonic item for sale? Sony is disappearing too.

Matsushita was a victim of censorship. I remember years ago, on that other satellite forum, any time anyone would post something about Matsushita, their software would apparently detect a swear word in the middle of it and delete it, making it look something like "Matsu...a" :)
Most people pronounced it that way (or more often as Mat-sue-SHEET-ta when it is (was) actually pronounce Mot-SHOOS-sta)

Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah, I bought a new 77 Toyota Long Bed on Labor Day 1977. In 1985 my Uncle was visiting from New York. He was a WWII vet as was my father. As he pulled into my driveway he asked why I had to buy a Jap (his word) vehicle why not an American vehicle. I explained to him that the American small trucks were also Japanese, just had American make names. I thought he was going to blow a gasket when he saw my 50" Mitsubishi front projection TV! :D
I learned that Mitsubishi made the Japanese Zero during the war and so I asked our Japanese Branch Mgr., "What did WE (JVC) make during the war?" He had to think about it a minute, cupped his hands into a circle and said "speekah".

I also asked him who made our TV tubes and he said, "Rohwist Biddah!"

It was sad to watch the Japanese electronic companies put the American companies out of business, now we're watching the Koreans eat the Japanese. Soon it'll be the Chinese eating up the Korean companies.

When was the last time you saw a Panasonic item for sale? Sony is disappearing too.

Sony is actually rebounding, although mostly in the premium space. My 2 main TVs are Sonys. But, yeah, it is a race to the bottom in general. I wish my Pioneer Elite AVR would handle auto-switching audio modes as well as my decade old Sony AVR did. Apparently, I should have stuck with Sony.

So I read the meeting notes from the DISH 1st quarter conference call with the media and they said that the satellite business is down to 11 million subs and the SLing tv service is at 2.3 million subs. I remember when they had over 14 million subs back in the day. Wonder how much longer till the satellite part of the business falls below the 10 million number? A year or two? They also didn't make as much revenue as they did last year at this time. But the upside they saved in taxes due to the new tax law. So theres that.

If they would have done that 4gLTE Network they where promising the last 10 years ago the churn wouldn’t be as bad.

Had a girl looking for Internet today who had Dish and didn’t want to get rid of it.

Tried to sell her spectrum internet for $49.99 with a router, told that was too expensive and wanted to see if I had anything cheaper.

How much are you paying for Dish?

$80/mo

So for $106, you can get rid of Dish, and have phone and internet.

SOLD!

And another dish customer bites the dust with a contract buyout to take care of that upgrade she got 3 months ago.

And Dish wonders why they are bleeding subs.

If they would have done that 4gLTE Network they where promising the last 10 years ago the churn wouldn’t be as bad.

Had a girl looking for Internet today who had Dish and didn’t want to get rid of it.

Tried to sell her spectrum internet for $49.99 with a router, told that was too expensive and wanted to see if I had anything cheaper.

$80/mo

SOLD!

And another dish customer bites the dust with a contract buyout to take care of that upgrade she got 3 months ago.

Spectrum Internet is pretty good -- No Caps! :) . My parents have their phone service as well, and it is terrible but better than Frontier in upstate NY. Where I live, a former TWC market, they are only deploying decade-old 2-tuner DVRs (which at least they don't make you pay for any more). The new Spectrum DVRs coming in 2019 (Worldbox 2.0) are apparently going to be 4-tuner models, but still not whole-home. I'm sure they will work fine for people with 1 TV. The only way I'd go back to Spectrum for TV is if Dish, DirecTV, and U-verse all suddenly became unavailable. What will your customer's bill be after the promo has ended?

Reactions: pattykay

$80/mo

SOLD!

What does Spectrum charge for just TV and Internet? There's no need to pay for their VOIP phone since you can buy your own low cost VOIP adapter and get free or low cost phone service through a number of providers. We use Phone Power with an ObiHai ATA for $35/year, but Google Voice is also an option at no cost except for the ATA.

Spectrum Internet is pretty good -- No Caps! :) . My parents have their phone service as well, and it is terrible but better than Frontier in upstate NY.
I can confirm Spectrum's phone is also better than Century Link, which we had previously. Former TWC market here.

What will your customer's bill be after the promo has ended?
I was wondering the same thing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The answer for DISH NETWORK is simple. Dump unnecessary channels, that's about 1/2 currently offered freeing up bandwidth. (MORE ISN'T BETTER and NEVER was)..... If you want the bleeding to stop make your service unique and (AWESOME) where customers don't want to leave. You have the DVR with the H3 but need better PQ, something that stands above the rest.

HD lite just doesn't cut it with modern televisions and when people see streaming services like PSVUE have better PQ for much less they leave.
Its time to start thinking out of the box or failure is sure to come.

The answer for DISH NETWORK is simple. Dump unnecessary channels, that's about 1/2 currently offered freeing up bandwidth. (MORE ISN'T BETTER and NEVER was)..... If you want the bleeding to stop make your service unique and (AWESOME) where customers don't want to leave. You have the DVR with the H3 but need better PQ, something that stands above the rest.

HD lite just doesn't cut it with modern televisions and when people see streaming services like PSVUE have better PQ for much less they leave.
Its time to start thinking out of the box or failure is sure to come.
I've had PSVue and now Dish. I couldn't tell the difference.

I think Dish has made themselves unique. They have the best equipment in the business. You can stream anything. Plus the Flex pack is genius. I love having the Flex pack.

I just don't hear many people mention it when looking to switch. They did some advertising on Howard Stern. They basically sounded like commercials for Netflix. They were promoting how the Hopper plays Netflix.

I'm sticking with it till it becomes to expensive.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)