DISH loses local ABC affiliate in retransmission dispute

Is there one for just the companies that have blacked out on dish? It is hard to count blackouts by Channel, when companies like Sinclair own over 100

2017 was a record year with 213 blackouts on cable and satellite systems, and the American Television Alliance knows why more carriers are fighting back:

"Retrans fees have grown an astonishing 22,400% [no, that’s not a typo] since 2005 and even more troubling, they have seen 40% annual increases over the last 3 years."

2017 was a record year with 213 blackouts on cable and satellite systems, and the American Television Alliance knows why more carriers are fighting back:

"Retrans fees have grown an astonishing 22,400% [no, that’s not a typo] since 2005 and even more troubling, they have seen 40% annual increases over the last 3 years."
Good to know there's an unbiased source reporting on this issue. ;)

Reactions: NYDutch

Well, let's see, 40% times 3 = 120%, which is a far cry from the total of 22,400% being reported. So, the rate of the increases lately must have really slowed down, compared to the ten-year period prior to the last three years. (I am just having fun with numbers. Obviously, they must have started with a really small number to get such a large percentage increase.) :)

The 40% is year over year, in the last 3 years. The 22,000% is since 2005.
I know that. I said I was making fun of the numbers. The problem with using percentages is as the base number grows larger, another increase of the same dollar amount will result in a smaller percentage increase.

Using an online percentage calculator, assuming the cost was one cent in 2005, a 22,400% increase would now be $2.24. That would be an 18 cent increase each year.

I'm guessing that extremely large % number is a total from all the stations. Does that mean everyone is paying 22,400% more than they did in 2005? I'm not convinced. Again, spin.

Just like when the broadcasters say "it's only pennies a day." Sure it is. My monthly mortgage is pennies a day also, but I don't want to pay that amount for TV.

Reactions: pattykay
I know that. I said I was making fun of the numbers. The problem with using percentages is as the base number grows larger, another increase of the same dollar amount will result in a smaller percentage increase.
Oh I know. That is why I liked it. I also know that people will unfortunately misread it. No challenge to you, sir

Reactions: pattykay
Using an online percentage calculator, assuming the cost was one cent in 2005, a 22,400% increase would now be $2.24. That would be an 18 cent increase each year.

I'm guessing that extremely large % number is a total from all the stations. Does that mean everyone is paying 22,400% more than they did in 2005? I'm not convinced. Again, spin.

Just like when the broadcasters say "it's only pennies a day." Sure it is. My monthly mortgage is pennies a day also, but I don't want to pay that amount for TV.
What would the numbers look like with a starting base of $0.07 out of curiosity

Let's not forget that both Dish and Directv carried a lot fewer local channels in 2005. So, of course the total for all stations is going to have a huge increase over that time frame.

Reactions: sam_gordon
What would the numbers look like with a starting base of $0.07 out of curiosity
It would be $15.75. $1.20/year.

Let's face it. No one here (or some random website) knows how much the agreements are for. IMO, without that number, you can't say whether the cost is too much or not. Yea, I know, some think it's not worth a penny, but others probably feel the same about ESPN, Disney, et al.

ETA: I am also curious, when an ownership group like Sinclair negotiates, do they negotiate the same rate for all their stations, or does it vary based on market size/affiliation (which seems like it would be almost impossible to keep track of)?

Reactions: Tampa8
Here is a more realistic sounding quote from Warren Schlichting, in a Dish local take-down video:
"Broadcasters across the country have been doing this to all pay-TV providers for years. In fact, in just the past decade, the fees broadcasters charge TV providers like Dish to carry local channels is, believe it or not, up an incredible 1700%. That's 17 times what it was just a decade ago. I know that sounds crazy. It is crazy. But unfortunately, it's also true."

Here is a more realistic sounding quote from Warren Schlichting, in a Dish local take-down video:
"Broadcasters across the country have been doing this to all pay-TV providers for years. In fact, in just the past decade, the fees broadcasters charge TV providers like Dish to carry local channels is, believe it or not, up an incredible 1700%. That's 17 times what it was just a decade ago. I know that sounds crazy. It is crazy. But unfortunately, it's also true."
But it's just "pennies a day". Listing a percentage is nothing more than spin. Why can't someone say "It cost you a dime/channel a decade ago and now it's $1.70"? Oh, that's right, because THEY DON'T KNOW. But it's more incendiary to throw out a number like 1700%.

I can't verify their numbers, but at least the ATVA is fighting for us...
OK, I'll bite. What exactly are they doing to "fight for us"? Putting up a web page? Sound like when I was three and my family took me to the ocean for the first time. According to them, I stood at the edge of the water and said "Stop Waves!". Wonder if that worked?

I think the NFLs ability to listen to its Players Assoc more than it’s fans is probably the leading factor in their decline. Signing contracts get higher, and players are still less happy, and fans are getting tired of the new rules and watching players tell them what to do or think. That is where they are losing the most money. NASCAR even went through this, and are stabilizing some, but can turn for the worse at any time.

It is going to be interesting in 2020 with the XFL 2.0 to see what impact the NFL May have. We will just have to sit back and wait.
Is the new XFL going against the NFL head to head? I thought they were doing the new XFL during the NFL off season, just as the original XFL did.

To the best of my knowledge it is the off season, and if it is during the reg season, it is days the nFL does not play.

The point being that the XFL will give competition to the NFL so fans will not feel the requirement to follow the NFL as the only professional sports league.

Ironically think of the WCW and WWF in the ‘90s

The ATVA... isn’t Dish the leader of it?

"Broadcasters are abusing outdated rules to boost their bottom lines and continue to threaten viewers with blackouts. The American Television Alliance (ATVA) brings together an unprecedented coalition of consumer groups, cable, satellite, telephone companies and independent programmers to raise awareness about why this is happening and what can be done to stop it."

"The ATVA’s mission is a simple one: to give consumers a voice and ask lawmakers to protect consumers by reforming outdated rules that do not reflect today’s marketplace. We are united in our determination to ensure the best viewing experience at an affordable price and to end the public threats of blackouts that are intended to scare and confuse viewers."

"Executive Director – Mike Chappell"

"Mr. Chappell is a Partner at Fierce Government Relations which represents a wide range of Fortune 100 companies. Mike and his firm have been involved with ATVA since its inception; he is a former Congressional staffer and veteran of the RNC and various campaigns."

About Us – American Television Alliance

Reactions: HipKat
I didn’t mean the Director. How about ring leader... I looked and Dish is a powerful name on there. In addition, shocked to see Discovery is on there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)