Dish made of Plywood

Status
Please reply by conversation.

arshad07

Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
hey guys,
iam frm india, i had this idea of making a dish with plywood,bt cuting into round shape with flat surface......4ft in size...

can i get signals of either c band or ku band transmissions.

:p

There is a home-made dish design on an Australian forum.
I know of at least one fellow from Cuba who made one from the design.
However, for most folks, even in Australia, the cost of the wood materials is more than just buying a commercial disc of similar size.
And the lower accuracy meant you had to build a dish at least 20% larger than a commercial dish, for the same performance.

I have the plans for this plywood dish and it is on my list of tasks to build it one day. As soon as my honey do list is completed. :)

I also saw a dish once made out of Pepsi cans.

Totally flat? Don't see how that would reflect much signal into a lnb. Plus I would think it needs to
be a metal or screen wire surface to reflect the signal. I'd like to see this project.

The Aussies discussed a number of reflective materials, including metal-laden paints.
However, they generally came to their senses, and often came back to aluminum foil.
The guy in Cuba, clad his in some sort of very thin aluminum plate left over from commercial printing.
It was thin like the baking sheets you use to make cookies in the oven, but several feet square.

One fellow made his structure from cardboard, instead of wood.
Ya gotta watch out for those rain-showers, though. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't the signal go right on through that or at least be greatly attenuated? I think some sort of metal or mesh would be more practical.

picture this

The designs looked more like your traditional C-band dishes.
They had struts or ribs behind the parabolic surface.
All was made from wood (or cardboard), and then just the reflective surface was covered in aluminum foil.
That's really all it takes to make a dish.
Now, to make a good dish, that's another matter! :)

i built on out of 1/8 hard board and 1/2 pylwood with screendoor wire stapled on it then i put fiberglass resin on it.

okay, Mr Hubba from Mississippi.... :D

Show us the beef!

We'd love to see some pictures, and hear your story.
That's all quite do-able.

Screen wire and plywood? Sounds more like a chicken coop than a satellite dish doesn't it?

We're going back in time now to the early TVRO days of the Taylor Howard homebrew receiver and the spherical redwood dish. Those things (the spherical redwood dish) took up the whole backyard no matter how big your backyard was. I'm talking 15 feet by 15 feet with a 30 foot focal length. Stakes driven in the yard to mark the locations of different satellites. Dish was stationary and you move the feed in an arc around the yard.

Yeah, those were the days. Waiting forever for that $100 "GaAsFET" (gallium arsenide field-effect transistor) and knowing you burned it up when you tried to solder it to the circuit board. Continually redefining the term "Idiot" (the wife's favorite name for you) over and over again.

Harold

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)