Dish Motor Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slimmswitch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
I currently have a motor on my 7.5ft dish. But the motor is dead now. I was wondering if anyone had instructions on how to setup a new arm from scratch. hopefully it's easy. Also currently i have Intelsat 805 running real good, if setting up from scratch can i start setting up the motor from the location on.

Also whats the main difference between getting a 18" arm and a 24" arm?

Thanks for any info.

Go for a 24" arm I recommend the Venture, though you can also get a cheapo super jack but I would go for the Venture over the super jack. Arm is very easy to change.

Receiver

Currently i have a Houston tracker 20 to move the dish, if i wanted to get a new one which one should i go for? and where can i buy one.

Thanks

tdti1 said:
Go for a 24" arm I recommend the Venture, though you can also get a cheapo super jack but I would go for the Venture over the super jack. Arm is very easy to change.

slimmswitch said:
Currently i have a Houston tracker 20 to move the dish, if i wanted to get a new one which one should i go for? and where can i buy one.

Thanks

For a master receiver it really comes down to what you want, if you don't want to subscribe to any programming then you are ok where you stand, but if you would like to add more free programming and open up a whole new world of programming that is available for subscription then a 4dtv is your best choice, with both a 4dtv and a DVB slave you will have the best system out there with the most free channels and cheapest programming prices, also if you do not have Ku-band it is a good investment.

so the 4DTV receiver could take the place of my Houston Tracker 20. And will be able to move my dish? like the houston does?

tdti1 said:
For a master receiver it really comes down to what you want, if you don't want to subscribe to any programming then you are ok where you stand, but if you would like to add more free programming and open up a whole new world of programming that is available for subscription then a 4dtv is your best choice, with both a 4dtv and a DVB slave you will have the best system out there with the most free channels and cheapest programming prices, also if you do not have Ku-band it is a good investment.

slimmswitch said:
so the 4DTV receiver could take the place of my Houston Tracker 20. And will be able to move my dish? like the houston does?

Yes it will get everything your old unit had, and will also have digital, you will need your VCII+ board from your old box though, just slide it into the 4dtv.
What size dish do you have?

I have a 7.5,,, how would i know which board to remove.

tdti1 said:
Yes it will get everything your old unit had, and will also have digital, you will need your VCII+ board from your old box though, just slide it into the 4dtv.
What size dish do you have?

You should have a pink or blue board in your unit, this should slide out, when was the last time you subscribed to anything? if you never subed then you may have a black board in the unit and that is good for the garbage, or for those who want to watch picture with no sound lol.

If you need a board you can get them cheap on ebay, this is only needed in the 4dtv if you plan on subscibing to analog services, if you want just free digital on the 4dtv and maybe sub to some digital programming, then you will not really need the board, though at times many analog channels go into free preview mode, and to see this you will need a board inside, BET and another channel is also free but you need the board inside, so I would say its good to have :)

do you know if General Instrument DSR 920 4DTV c/ku Satellite Receiver does the same thing as 922 ? including moving the dish?

slimmswitch said:
do you know if General Instrument DSR 920 4DTV c/ku Satellite Receiver does the same thing as 922 ? including moving the dish?

Yes but I would not get one personally, there are a few channels the 920 will not get that the 922 will, and the fact that you must do the unplug replug on the 920 for the new maps and the 922 does it all auto, and last thing is if the battery was not replaced in the 920 DO NOT GET IT, because it can die when it is being shipped or picked up, and then it will be worthless and will cost about $200 to fix it, best thing to do is look for a 922, the price is much lower than it once was, I paid $1700.00 for mine new in Canada when it first came out about 5 years ago.

Well I was fooling around with my receiver and motorized dish arm, and i can get it to move (nudge by nudge) cause some guy damaged it.. Just wondering if since i get 55.5 if i keep nudging it to 61.0 should i be able to receive it;s programming, Or would i need to do something special?

You should program the freq and SR for TV Cidade and the right polarity and slowly bump till the signal pops in, though keep an eye on the dish, not to damage anything, or to flop over.

Well I programmed the freq and SR for TV Cidade , and i slowly move the dish.. ( i keep getting motor error on my receiver, so it only moves very short distances at a time.) was not able to catch TV Cidade . But just to clarify since i do have 55.5 moving the dish with the motor towards 61.0 (side to side)should pick up the channel or is there more to it like adjusting the dish (up and down). If something is wrong with the arm it could affect receiving that channel?

Sorry never worked with the actuator before.

tdti1 said:
You should program the freq and SR for TV Cidade and the right polarity and slowly bump till the signal pops in, though keep an eye on the dish, not to damage anything, or to flop over.

They are very close so I would think you would hit it, though the dish could start going off arc if it was not setup good in the first place though I do not think that is the case. are you sure you went the right way when looking for the bird? if you didn't don't worry we all do it sometimes :)

I was thinking of buying a actuator from rpssat, did your venture come with installation instructions?

tdti1 said:
They are very close so I would think you would hit it, though the dish could start going off arc if it was not setup good in the first place though I do not think that is the case. are you sure you went the right way when looking for the bird? if you didn't don't worry we all do it sometimes :)

I got mine from them a few months ago, I think it comes with papers but I did not really pay attention, anyway ask here if you need help with the setup, its not difficult to do, though you will want to reset the limits on your reciever when doing so.

One thing though does your dish have a problem moving east and west, there could be a short in the cable run, the reciever could have problems and or the arm could be on its way out.

Well i can move it east/west but my receiver keeps saying "motor error" so it will only move inch by inch and give that error each time ( i tried moving positon on receiver without the actuator actually hooked up and it gave that same error) i tried also my star trak 500 and it did abosolutley nothing as well, did not even move but no error msg.

tdti1 said:
I got mine from them a few months ago, I think it comes with papers but I did not really pay attention, anyway ask here if you need help with the setup, its not difficult to do, though you will want to reset the limits on your reciever when doing so.

One thing though does your dish have a problem moving east and west, there could be a short in the cable run, the reciever could have problems and or the arm could be on its way out.

That sounds like you are not recieving pulses from the actuator position sensor. I would first double check all the wiring and make sure it is all in good condition and properly hooked up. Then i would take a multimeter out to the actuator and see if the sensor is sending pulses. If the sensor is not sending pulses, then all you will need (hopefully) is a new sensor.

Hey guys, just wondering I tried catching PAS9 @ 58.0 (RealMadrid)but i was only able to get 20% quality. Thats prob why i cant get 61.0. Do you think there's a adjustment that i can do with the arm? or is that since the arm is already messed up getting a new one would correct it.

Also how do you enter a S/R of 27700 into a receiver when it's only able to enter 4 digits?

Also on my other receiver that moves the dish I keep getting "error check connection"?? moves a bit always but not too much... anyone know what this error msg is?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts