Dish Mounting Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TenaciousJoker

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
So, I'm switching from E* to D* on Monday, April 7th. I still have the old E* dish on the ground using the pole mount (waiting to cancel E* after D* is installed), with a wide open view of the southern sky. I DO NOT want a roof mount, and I don't think it would increase signal strength anyway. My question is, will the installer use the existing pole and cables that my soon-to-be old E* dish is using, or will they insist on doing a roof mount and running more cables all through my house (very undesirable option)?

P.S. My E* dish is a Dish 1000, which I believe is comparable in size to the 5LNB dish I will be getting from D*

So, I'm switching from E* to D* on Monday, April 7th. I still have the old E* dish on the ground using the pole mount (waiting to cancel E* after D* is installed), with a wide open view of the southern sky. I DO NOT want a roof mount, and I don't think it would increase signal strength anyway. My question is, will the installer use the existing pole and cables that my soon-to-be old E* dish is using, or will they insist on doing a roof mount and running more cables all through my house (very undesirable option)?

P.S. My E* dish is a Dish 1000, which I believe is comparable in size to the 5LNB dish I will be getting from D*

That is not the same size odu

Ok then, next question. Will they replace the pole and keep the existing cables? The top of my roof is quite steep and about 30 feet off the ground. So I don't think they would roof mount it unless they have a bucket truck. The current Dish is in a good spot and I would like to keep that if possible. I already have four outlets behind the TV (three coaxial, one AC power) and don't want any more holes drilled if I can help it.

The old pole is 1-5/8 inch actual.

As installers, my fellow suncontractor and I discovered that the two inch actual mount of the Slimline 5lnb will not mount directly on the old pole. They will install a new pole, which leaves an abandoned mount or pole on the property.

After numerous attempts, he developed an adapter, which we use religiously. He's had many satisfied customers on eBay and on installs;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150232331647 end time Apr-08-08 23:16:37 PDT)

We need to carry only one size of ground pole. Also, we use the adapter, when there is enough clearance. We seldom use the new poles supplied with the slimline dish. It saves us both time and money. The customer is happy with no abandoned pole or mounting bracket.

Nice thing is that the customer can switch back to Dish with little or no work.

So if I understand correctly, they may use a different pole (which is no problem, my father and I can pull out the old one). What about the existing coax cable? Will they use those as well, or will they run new ones?

Oh, I forgot to add one thing. I used to have an 811 and a DVR, which left one coax unused (and still is) when I upgraded to a 622. I only have one TV in the house, so I'm not getting any additional room runs. Will they be able to use the unused coax as well as the one I am using now without having to drill through my wall again?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)