Dish mover

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Neither of the dish movers work , on the 8' and 10' dishes I scrounged .

On that size dish , how much difference is there between the number of sats you get with a 18" mover , compared to a 24" mover ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

That's a tough call. Many factors come into play (mount geometry, you longitude, etc). For 4DTV W3 (87w) - C4 (135W) will get you most of what's out there. I haven't programmed east of B6 (74W) on the 4DTV for lack of anything analog or Digicypher to lock onto.

I went the cheap route on my mini-BUD and have an 18" actuator. I can see 148w down past 45W with it.

With my 8' dish, I got a Von Weiss actuator that the guy said was bad. I need to take it apart and see if it's salvagable. The Von Weiss is built like a tank compared to my 18" SuperJack.

If the cost is similar, I'd go for a 24". I got my 18" rediculously cheap.

Wyr,

When I got mine a lot of folks pointed me towards 24 rather than 18. Besides the obvious length difference, I think you're probably stepping up to a different class of product when you go to the 24" and longer arms. I have a Von Weise 24" arm, and I'm very happy with its performance so far. I've currently got about 26 satellites defined to my 922, ranging from 72W to 139W. You do have to pay the $ for the quality, but its probably worth it in the long run. That said, I've only had mine set up for a few months so some of the guys who've had BUD's longer may have better insight.

Mike

I also moved up to 24"

iammike said:
Wyr,
When I got mine a lot of folks pointed me towards 24 rather than 18. Besides the obvious length difference, I think you're probably stepping up to a different class of product when you go to the 24" and longer arms. I have a Von Weise 24" arm, and I'm very happy with its performance so far. I've currently got about 26 satellites defined to my 922, ranging from 72W to 139W. You do have to pay the $ for the quality, but its probably worth it in the long run. That said, I've only had mine set up for a few months so some of the guys who've had BUD's longer may have better insight.
Mike

I also moved up to a 24" mover. Not only for an increase in the arc, but it is a heavier duty unit, that should keep the dish steady in a high wind. That said, my no name 18" mover (over 10 yrs old) is still alive and kicking.

WyrTwister said:
Neither of the dish movers work , on the 8' and 10' dishes I scrounged .
On that size dish , how much difference is there between the number of sats you get with a 18" mover , compared to a 24" mover ?
Thanks ,
Wyr

I had a old 18" and got up to P9, I put up a 24" and get to AMC-12 now :) go with the 24"

Shawn95GT said:
That's a tough call. Many factors come into play (mount geometry, you longitude, etc). For 4DTV W3 (87w) - C4 (135W) will get you most of what's out there. I haven't programmed east of B6 (74W) on the 4DTV for lack of anything analog or Digicypher to lock onto.

I went the cheap route on my mini-BUD and have an 18" actuator. I can see 148w down past 45W with it.

With my 8' dish, I got a Von Weiss actuator that the guy said was bad. I need to take it apart and see if it's salvagable. The Von Weiss is built like a tank compared to my 18" SuperJack.

If the cost is similar, I'd go for a 24". I got my 18" rediculously cheap.

I am at about 101 degrees longitude .

Probably will never go 4DTV . Would like to get what analog and DVB-S I can .

Trying to do this on the cheap , partially because I do not know how much C band stuff I will actually watch , after the new wears off .

Care to share the source of cheap dish mover ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

It depends what you are look'n for. C-band was an eye opener for me. I found that there was more 'stuff I'd watch' on c-band. Definately more consistant English language programming.

My favorite is still the live on-site news feeds though, which are almost always Ku.

Shawn

gizzer777 said:
I also moved up to a 24" mover. Not only for an increase in the arc, but it is a heavier duty unit, that should keep the dish steady in a high wind. That said, my no name 18" mover (over 10 yrs old) is still alive and kicking.

Since this , for me , is an exercize in testing , not my main source of TV , I am trying to do it on a shoe string .

Would you be interested in getting rid of the 18" dish mover ?

Thanks ,
wyr

tdti1 said:
I had a old 18" and got up to P9, I put up a 24" and get to AMC-12 now :) go with the 24"

Thanks ,
Wyr

Shawn95GT said:
It depends what you are look'n for. C-band was an eye opener for me. I found that there was more 'stuff I'd watch' on c-band. Definately more consistant English language programming.

My favorite is still the live on-site news feeds though, which are almost always Ku.

Shawn

Watched some of that on Ku after the hurricane in the " Big Easy " .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Thanks ,
Wyr

That thing died in the ice storm back a few years ago, a buddy of mine took it to his machine shop for something not sure what now, but he ended up losing it :( If I still had it I would have let it go free... sorry

tdti1 said:
That thing died in the ice storm back a few years ago, a buddy of mine took it to his machine shop for something not sure what now, but he ended up losing it :( If I still had it I would have let it go free... sorry

Thanks anyway . Just thought I would ask . :)

Got a possable lead on another dish to scrounge . If it pans out , maybe it will have a good dish mover .

Wyr

dfergie said:
I wish I would have stored my old Hand Crank that came with my 10' fiberglass inside... it is froze up big time ;)

At this beginning point , I wouldn't mind having a hand crank .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts