Dish net?

bryanw20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
So I live in the 'burbs; cable is not an option. I currently have Uverse (DSL), pay for 12M service, if I'm lucky I get 10M down, <1M Up, avg is 8M down; but lately it's been like 2M down, if it works at all (Think my modem is failing)

So I look at Dish internet; but all it says is to call for pricing & details.
So I had a variation years ago; it was decent speed; but limits on data. Is it still the same? What are the monthly prices?

Even at my slow speeds looks like last month somehow we managed to use ~300GB of data (according to AT&T); must be all youtube, & VOD.

Do I have any other options if I don't have a fiber connection? other wi-fi style?

Have you tried unplugging the modem from power for a minute and then plugging it back in? That will often reset things and you will get your speed back.

Have you tried unplugging the modem from power for a minute and then plugging it back in? That will often reset things and you will get your speed back.
Only about a hundred times this weekend. It's been out for a day now. Then suddenly started working again this morning. Still slow, but faster than 0!

Going to agree with the others that satellite is best left for if you have no other options. That said, HughesNet (owned by Echostar) offers 5/1 and 10/1 plans. Both look like they have a 55GB cap and also have 50GB for use between 2am and 8am. If you go to their site and put in your address, it should take into account any promotions local to you.

Going to agree with the others that satellite is best left for if you have no other options. That said, HughesNet (owned by Echostar) offers 5/1 and 10/1 plans. Both look like they have a 55GB cap and also have 50GB for use between 2am and 8am. If you go to their site and put in your address, it should take into account any promotions local to you.

Sat internet also has really high latency, which makes it difficult to do any gaming (if you're into that sort or thing)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: stormrider22

That 55 GB data cap means you have 5GB "anytime" data between 8 and 2 A.M. You get the 50GB "bonus bytes" between 2 and 8 A.M. Your speeds at night in peak hours are going to be about 2-5 Mbps if your lucky. Maybe this will get better with Echostar 19. In the daytime, it is awesome with up to 20-30 Mbps speeds.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Exactly. I have a 60 Mb cable connection, with HughesNet as my backup with a dual WAN router in failover mode. I just switched over to the HughesNet connection and this is what I get:

5911071284.png

In contrast, this is what I get during the day

5866124099.png

The latency is very noticeable with satellite, and I'm not much of a gamer, but not as bad as I thought I'd be. There is a noticeable delay when I connected to my work VPN and use VNC or RDP, but it works better than expected. Also the delay when giving commands to my Google Home is noticeable but not a killer.

To the OP, if you use 300 GB a month, stay away from satellite. You cannot use that amount of data. With DishNet, Dish acts as a reseller, they sell re-branded Exede and HughesNet services. Not sure how it's determined what service you get. This is from a retailer, not Dish directly, but here are the prices/speeds.

https://www.infinitydish.com/dishnet

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Exactly. I have a 60 Mb cable connection, with HughesNet as my backup with a dual WAN router in failover mode. I just switched over to the HughesNet connection and this is what I get:

5911071284.png

In contrast, this is what I get during the day

5866124099.png

The latency is very noticeable with satellite, and I'm not much of a gamer, but not as bad as I thought I'd be. There is a noticeable delay when I connected to my work VPN and use VNC or RDP, but it works better than expected. Also the delay when giving commands to my Google Home is noticeable but not a killer.

To the OP, if you use 300 GB a month, stay away from satellite. You cannot use that amount of data. With DishNet, Dish acts as a reseller, they sell re-branded Exede and HughesNet services. Not sure how it's determined what service you get. This is from a retailer, not Dish directly, but here are the prices/speeds.

https://www.infinitydish.com/dishnet

Thanks. So I'll stick with my Uverse; I've heard that starting over a year ago you can no longer buy the modem and now have to 'rent' it at $7 (or more?) a month. Just another way to squeeze out more money =( I'm pretty I paid $100 for it; has a date of 3/13 on it; so lets says it's 3 yrs old, that'd be $252 in mo/fee vs $100 upfront =( Maybe I can buy one off ebay?

I guess before I went satellite I'd just upgrade my phones mo/data & add wi-fi hotspot to them. I get consistent 8M or better at home. But it sucks because I have my home sec cams going thru my wifi so I can watch from work.

But thanks for the replies. Looks like sat is not for me (or my kids gaming) BTW he says sometimes our ping is well over 1400! =( tonight it's working decent, getting 31ms ping, 7.5M Down .75 up

Since you're leasing the modem from ATT and it's failing I would call and ask for a free replacement and/or get a technician to come out(for free if you can) and check your lines/signal. You are paying for a service and it's their job to have it running properly.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Well ATT finally showed up tonight. Tech says your technacly outside the range for 12M service; you should only be allowed 6M (umm att called me years ago to upgrade me), so he finally throws in a new modem, and so far I'm pulling 11.xM ! =)
No mention of paying for or renting the modem either.
Hope it keeps up.
Not gonna be watching any 4K anytime soon.
Now hope it stays this way for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts