Dish Network Adds More Local High Definition Markets

DISH Network now offers HD locals in 39 markets, reaching more than 54 percent of U.S. television households with local HD channels.
“We announced earlier this year that we would reach our goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels by the end of 2008, and over the next two months we will continue toward this goal by increasing our local HD offerings by more than 60 percent,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network.

Am I reading this wrong because 54% + 60% = 114%. Doesnt make sense.
You don't get to be the "senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network" without being able to make grand public announcements that...
a - can't easily be proven wrong with publicly available info and
b - don't actually tell anyone very much anyway :)

The key to his statement is that he does NOT say 60% of what "local HD offerings" are going to be increasing over the next 2 months: DMAs, TV Households, Channels, Transponders, Ticked off folks waiting for promised HD locals, etc. :)

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
DISH Network now offers HD locals in 39 markets, reaching more than 54 percent of U.S. television households with local HD channels.
“We announced earlier this year that we would reach our goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels by the end of 2008, and over the next two months we will continue toward this goal by increasing our local HD offerings by more than 60 percent,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network.

Am I reading this wrong because 54% + 60% = 114%. Doesnt make sense.

What he is trying to say, but not clearly, is ..we are at 54% of local hd now, and within the next 2 months, we will then have 60% of locals in hd.

What he is trying to say, but not clearly, is ..we are at 54% of local hd now, and within the next 2 months, we will then have 60% of locals in hd.

OK heres another question

If 39 "Local HD Markets" = 54% of US households television households with local HD channels, what percentage would 100 "Local HD Markets be? 134%

OK heres another question

If 39 "Local HD Markets" = 54% of US households television households with local HD channels, what percentage would 100 "Local HD Markets be? 134%

Not every market has the same number of people in it... One presumes that they're adding markets in an order that increases the number of households as quickly as possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if the second 39 local markets contained less than half the number of households than the first 39 did.

Not every market has the same number of people in it... One presumes that they're adding markets in an order that increases the number of households as quickly as possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if the second 39 local markets contained less than half the number of households than the first 39 did.

Ahh I understand now.. Thanks fletchmath

There are other things at 61.5. There are mirrors of some of the HD channels, and some other stuff. I really wish Dish would make it so that the IRD's would pick the stronger of the two (129/61.5) for the stuff that's dupe'd, but that's just a wish.

I have 61.5 hooked to my 1000.2 and then to a 722 and 622 since about two weeks now. I check several times every day, what the receivers choose for the HD channels. I have yet failed to figure out what the receivers go by, to either pick 129 or 61.5.
But your suggestion makes most sense, and it looks like it shouldn't be a problem to implement this into the SW.
But I doubt this will happen, since this is actually a setup which was never intended to be. The fourth location input was more like for 148. I am actually surprised that the receivers don't get confused by the mirrored channels, and this kind of setup works at all.

I have 61.5 hooked to my 1000.2 and then to a 722 and 622 since about two weeks now. I check several times every day, what the receivers choose for the HD channels. I have yet failed to figure out what the receivers go by, to either pick 129 or 61.5.
But your suggestion makes most sense, and it looks like it shouldn't be a problem to implement this into the SW.
But I doubt this will happen, since this is actually a setup which was never intended to be. The fourth location input was more like for 148. I am actually surprised that the receivers don't get confused by the mirrored channels, and this kind of setup works at all.

I remember when 129 came on line with the HD channels, the HD channels were duplicates in the guide. I wouldn't mind having duplicate channels if I knew which channel was coming from 61.5.

Out of the top 50 DMA markets, the following still do not have any LIL HD from Dish (DMA RANK):

Tampa (13) (2Q08)
Baltimore (24) (2Q08)
Indianapolis (26)
Hartford (29) (April 08)
Columbus (32)
Cincinnati (33)
Milwaukee (34) (2Q08)
Harrisburg PA (41)
Norfolk (42)(April 08)
Las Vegas (43)
Greensboro (46) (2Q08)
Memphis (47) (April 08)
Louisville (48)
Jacksonville (49)
Buffalo (50)

Only Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, Harrisburg, Las Vegas, Louisville, Jacksonville and Buffalo have no timelines.

Thats 6.445% of the TV market with no future plans for HD LIL from DISH.
Or about the size of NYC market without HD LIL plans....

Dish is on a roll here.....................................

Out of the top 50 DMA markets, the following still do not have any LIL HD from Dish (DMA RANK):

Tampa (13) (2Q08)
Baltimore (24) (2Q08)
Indianapolis (26)
Hartford (29) (April 08)
Columbus (32)
Cincinnati (33)
Milwaukee (34) (2Q08)
Harrisburg PA (41)
Norfolk (42)(April 08)
Las Vegas (43)
Greensboro (46) (2Q08)
Memphis (47) (April 08)
Louisville (48)
Jacksonville (49)
Buffalo (50)

Only Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, Harrisburg, Las Vegas, Louisville, Jacksonville and Buffalo have no timelines.

Thats 6.445% of the TV market with no future plans for HD LIL from DISH.
Or about the size of NYC market without HD LIL plans....

Dish is on a roll here.....................................

Oh... and Cleveland (17) ("Soon") :D

The way I look at it, Cleveland should be top priority... I mean have you BEEN to Cleveland?? At least Tampa has the weather/gulf!

I can see it now, that .4 market will be my DMA when it's finally lit up. :(

At least you got NESN HD (albeit game only)! What did we get in the Midlands? (I know, I've been able to watch a few Twins gams on FSN HD since last year, but ONLY a few) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)