Dish Network and FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spydrplus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I am new to the whole FTA thing, but I have been installing for Dish Network for a while now so I am picking up rather quickly. One thing I am confused on though, is how the satellite providers play in to the FTA arena. I was installing the other day and the neighbor of one of my customers asked me about setting up a dish for him to run his FTA receiver off of. I declined thinking that using these receivers to pick up subscription satellite was illegal, but he explained to me that Dish was unencrypted and that there were no laws broken in doing this.

Basically, my question is: is there any validity in that? I didn't even think the average FTA box could pick up Dish signal even if it was unencrypted MPEG2. I figured most of the people here would be able to straighten that up for me though so I have something intelligent to say to the next person who asks :)

Dish is encrypted. Only a few channels are not encrypted, but nothing worth watching except for maybe NASA.

The guy was doing something illegal with his FTA box having 3rd party software loaded on it.

Last edited:
Dish does use standard DVB signals, so any DVB receiver can pick up the few unencrypted channels up there. 119w has the most, with NASA and lots of audio. If the guy was talking HBO, Cinemax, PPV, etc., he's hacking.

DirecTV, on the other hand, uses proprietary signals that are not DVB compliant. No FTA receiver can see them.

Ah, I guess that's why I get so many requests to set up dishes under the table with dish, and didn't ever get that request with directv. How do they send different signals if it's from the same satellites as directv? Is one cheaper to transmit or something?

Are you sure? I've always been told that dish leases some transponders from directv

Are you sure? I've always been told that dish leases some transponders from directv

positive.
Dish owns 29 transponders at 110 and 21 TP at 119 (along with alot of other ones at different spots)
Directv owns 32 TP's on 101, 3 on 110 and 11 on 119

This is interesting. This means that a woman I work with is hacking. I was told about FTA from her and her husband. They have Dish now but he bought a "box" from a guy he works with selling them in the Northern VA area and she claims to be watching HBO, Cinemax PPV etc. When will these people learn "free" is never really free?

This is interesting. This means that a woman I work with is hacking. I was told about FTA from her and her husband. They have Dish now but he bought a "box" from a guy he works with selling them in the Northern VA area and she claims to be watching HBO, Cinemax PPV etc. When will these people learn "free" is never really free?

Its all FREE. Right up until they slap the cuffs on ya and take your house. :D
For some TV. I just don't understand. :mad:

One of the worst things to come out of hacking (for me) is that people associate the term FTA with hacking now. Most consumers think any FTA receiver can be hacked. We get a lot of calls for "software".

We refuse to sell any receiver that can be hacked. Many brands that were hardly known in the market are now famous all because the ability to hack them has driven their sales. Hackable receivers can demand a higher selling price giving wholesalers and dealers more profit.

I just don't believe in supporting these companies by buying their products. The day I need to steal (from anyone) is the day I will get out of business.

MrTim
DMS International

It is a shame that most people think you can get "everything for free" with a FTA system. As I drive around town, I when I see an FTA dish, I wonder if the people are hacking or legit myself.

I wonder the same thing. I only know of (or seen) one ku dish in a backyard. I know where 6 Primestar dishes are (2 are oblong, 4 are oval), and wonder about them. They all appear to be pointing at high noon, I'm at 83.7w, so I'm sure they're still pointing at where Primestar was located. I believe Primestar was on K2 and it was around 83.0w (maybe 81.0w) at the time. On another note, there are C-band dishes everywhere. I can't help but wonder if they are still in use. Some are obviously not, being pointed in wrong directions, like North, or at the ground, or pieces missing and/or obvious damage. But, most appear to be in good shape, and kept pretty well. One has recently been painted.

Al

I know where 6 Primestar dishes are (2 are oblong, 4 are oval), and wonder about them. They all appear to be pointing at high noon, I'm at 83.7w, so I'm sure they're still pointing at where Primestar was located. I believe Primestar was on K2 and it was around 83.0w (maybe 81.0w) at the time.

Al
Primestar started at 85W and moved to 89 when it died. My buddy's neighbor has a Primestar dish still aimed at IA8 (we figured that out when we hooked up to it. We got a few feeds and ABCNewsNow) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)