Dish Network and Home Theater Sound System

BillH

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I have a Dish 721 with a DVD player installed behind the 721. If I get a home Theater Sound system, Do I have to run RCA wires from the 721 to the sound system or just RCA wires from the TV Audio out Jacks to the sound system?

It will be much easer if I do not have to get to the back of the 721. That is a pain with my furniture arrangement.

Thanks.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the optical cable?

As you can tell, I am not very technically inclined.

I assume that translates to "IF you use RCA, hook from Sound System to TV Audio outs. If you use optical, go from 721 to Sound System."

Thanks to everyone.

BillH said:
I assume that translates to "IF you use RCA, hook from Sound System to TV Audio outs. If you use optical, go from 721 to Sound System."

Thanks to everyone.

No exactly. If you are using an AV receiver with Dolby 5.1 or better you need to use the toslink, or optical cable. I don't think you can obtain 5.1 without using this type of cable. You can still run RCA to your TV .

Last edited:
downriver said:
No exactly. If you are using an AV receiver with Dolby 5.1 or better you need to use the toslink, or optical cable. I don't think you can obtain 5.1 without using this type of cable. You can still run RCA to your TV .

I think we're confusing the gent. Toslink, Optical cable....SAME THING.
Here's a photo/description (first photo is what you want)
http://www.core-sound.com/toslink-cables/1.php

You can get them cheap on eBay.

If you do get/have a home theatre system, there's no compelling reason to run audio to the TV at all. Just run everything, including s-video through your receiver (if it supports it). Flip on TV and reciever and you are good to go.

KAB said:
I think we're confusing the gent. Toslink, Optical cable....SAME THING.
Here's a photo/description (first photo is what you want)
http://www.core-sound.com/toslink-cables/1.php

You can get them cheap on eBay.

If you do get/have a home theatre system, there's no compelling reason to run audio to the TV at all. Just run everything, including s-video through your receiver (if it supports it). Flip on TV and reciever and you are good to go.

Heck, just turn on close captioning and forget the sound altogether!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts