Dish Network and Landlines

Islandguy43
I don't steal their signal. Have been a paying customer for 10 years. Want to get HD PVR, but this is difficult due to location.May switch to Direct. The "Queens'Cowboys" aka the Mounties are probably customers also. Question still stands; what if connect landline with non US area code?

So you set up a P.O. Box in the U.S. as your address, and you are probably paying by auto-pay (or paying someone in the states to pay it for you) while you are living in Canada and getting the Dish signal which is illegal.
Sure you are paying for it, but it is still illegal for you to receive the signal in Canada even if you are paying for it.
In the last couple years a couple of Canadians have been prosecuted for setting up accounts for people doing just what you are doing.
Bottom line, you can go ahead and plug that phone line in, but don't expect your system to work very long once the red (maple leaf) flag goes up.

I live Off-the-Grid and have since I started with Dish in 1998. I do not have a land line, never will. What then?

Besides, unless I'm watching TV or recording something with the DVR, the receiver is disconnected from the wall. The DVR pulls 40+ watts even when its off, would kill my batteries.

Watch out for those duel receivers! LOL

Hook up the box to a canadian area code line. It won't hurt. If they ask tell them you have Vonage with a canadian area code.

wow... umm, you got lied to... sorry.
Imagine how bad that would be if it was in the middle of updating the firmware, when all of a sudden someone picks up a phone and cuts off the download (cause legally, it HAS to disconnect with you pick up the phone)
bad or corrupt firmware upgrade is never good.

I would think they would download the update and do a CRC check to verify that it is not corrupted before installing it over the good working copy. It could still end up being corrupted from a dropout even over satellite, so I'm sure they do a check to make sure it is correct before overwriting the previous version.

To our Canadian friend, if you plug in the phone line you may have no result whatever. I cannot confirm, but I seriously doubt that the reciever will dial a country code to get out to the call center. You will mostlikely get a inactive number from your location.

As for the original Question, Ive seen 322's, 522's, and 622's get the phone line nag after about 3 days of being unpluged. I am guessing it calls out every evening, and then throws out the plug in phone line screen after the 3rd unsucsessful try. Just from my observations.

As for the original Question, Ive seen 322's, 522's, and 622's get the phone line nag after about 3 days of being unpluged. I am guessing it calls out every evening, and then throws out the plug in phone line screen after the 3rd unsucsessful try. Just from my observations.

I think it checks for dialtone on the nightly reboot but doesn't call, if you check the last connect date under diagnostics its usually around the same day of each month.

wow... umm, you got lied to... sorry.
Imagine how bad that would be if it was in the middle of updating the firmware, when all of a sudden someone picks up a phone and cuts off the download (cause legally, it HAS to disconnect with you pick up the phone)
bad or corrupt firmware upgrade is never good.

If you watch your receiver do a software update you can see where it downloads the update completely and presumably verifies integrity before actually flashing the firmware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)