Dish Network and Tivo Settle Lawsuit!!!!

I never saw smooth operation on my 625, nor any of my VIP receivers. But my 501 was silky smooth before Dish took out the relevant Tivo indexing code. Those who still have the 50x series of receivers may see it restored first, since the firmware for sure has already been written. Did the VIP receivers ever have it? :(
Don't think the VIP's ever had it.

But when one pulls his head out of the sand he would realize Dish has gained 16% after the deal, TiVo has lost over 1%:)

Of course who knows what future may hold.

Where did you come up with those percentages?

Tivo gains an initial $300M and reduces legal overhead an unspecified amount. How does that equate to a loss of 1%?

Maybe you were thinking of the stock change-
OK, prior to the announcement, Tivo was trading at an average price per share of $8.60 on a 5 day average. After the announcement there was an initial bounce but settled in for a 5 day post announcement of an average $9.60 per share. That would be an 11.6% increase by my math.

Now let's look at DishNetwork DISH:
They have an initial loss of cash reserves which is $300M from a stash of $12.8B which represents a 2.3% net reduction in reserves but they reduce their legal costs as a reduction in overhead by an unspecified amount which would lower the net loss of revenue%. Now consider the stock by a similar period of time- The stock received an initial bounce with the announcement of the Blockbuster auction award which was 19.80 to 24.60 per share and continuing to rise. Taking that number in the 5 day moving average we see 24.50 as a price prior to the TIVO announcement. Dish received bounce to 29.95 and then a fall off and 5 day average of $29.50. In my book that calculates out to a 20.4% bounce however some of that continued rise may be due to additional positive market influence due to the Blockbuster deal as it is still an ongoing development during the TIVO announcement.

We both agree that Dish got a huge boost in stock resulting in a greater market cap as a result of the suit settlement, but we disagree that TIVO lost 1% both in revenue as well as market cap. I didn't consider any future payments Dish has committed because this only fortifies TIVO coffers and is sourced from future events by Dish, either cash flow or debt increase more recently announced.

As an investor/trader from time to time in both these companies, I would really like to see how you came up with the numbers you did.

Disclosure- I currently own TIVO position, not Dish at this time.

Did the VIP receivers ever have it? :(
"We" really don't know but I'm positive those of us with ViP receivers have seen a decrease in performance related to operation, specifically with fast-forwarding, rewinding, etc. It USED to behave much better than it does today.

Don Landis said:
Disclosure- I currently own TIVO position, not Dish at this time.

You should have held DISH then:)

I was simply stating that on the day the settlement was announced, DISH was up by over 18%. That had nothing to do with the Blockbuster deal, it might have some to do with the earning report but mostly to do with the settlement.

The same day TiVo went up by a little over 3%. Next day when I made my above comment, TiVo went down by about 4% so its stock was down compared to its pre-settlement value. There was no other analysis made by me.

Hall said:
"We" really don't know but I'm positive those of us with ViP receivers have seen a decrease in performance related to operation, specifically with fast-forwarding, rewinding, etc. It USED to behave much better than it does today.

Hopefully the improvement will be seen soon.

Some say that Dish does not work as good as it used to but it still works better than Directv DVR's do. I have noticed a bug with the skip feature on the 722 and wondered why it was never fixed.

Some say that Dish does not work as good as it used to but it still works better than Directv DVR's do. I have noticed a bug with the skip feature on the 722 and wondered why it was never fixed.

I have notice this too on my 722k...very frustrating at times.
Ghpr13:)

Some say that Dish does not work as good as it used to but it still works better than Directv DVR's do.
So what ? How does that help Dish customers ? If one left D* and came to E*, okay, they might like it better or if one leaves E* and goes to D*, they might says "this sucks". People with Dish, with DVRs that worked nice one day and the next day after a s/w update, they don't work as well, don't like it...

So what ? How does that help Dish customers ? If one left D* and came to E*, okay, they might like it better or if one leaves E* and goes to D*, they might says "this sucks". People with Dish, with DVRs that worked nice one day and the next day after a s/w update, they don't work as well, don't like it...

That's irrelevant at this point. Now that Dish has settled, they will have access to the patents and and integrate it in the non-infringing (ViP) receivers that have the workaround.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts