Dish Network and Tivo Settle Lawsuit!!!!

I don't see Charlie buying TIVO. Nothing to gain. The current plan is much better. Only reason I can see for Charlie buying TIVO is to prevent anyone else from buying them.

This is a long shot, but I hope that maybe this union with TiVo will help Dish improve the Guide...When I had TiVo I loved their Guide.

Ghpr13:)

No, you have to read the whole sentence: "TiVo also granted EchoStar a license under the same ‘389 patent and certain related patents, for the remaining life of those patents, to design and make certain DVR-enabled products solely for DISH Network and two international customers."
One international customer is obviously Bell. Who do you suppose is the other?

Is this initial $300 m in addition to the money they were ordered to pay in the last ruling, or does it include any pending amount ordered by the court? If the later than this is a real deal for E*. The $200 million over 6 years is than much less than some estimates of what some estimated for monthly fees.

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is that it simply means that neither party can bring the case again. As opposed to without prejudice, which means either party is free to file the same case again later.

This settlements reminds me of the RIM vs. NTP case around 2006.
Could have been settled years ago for the fraction of the final price.

It's hard to deal with oversized egos...

Diogen.

Is this initial $300 m in addition to the money they were ordered to pay in the last ruling, or does it include any pending amount ordered by the court? If the later than this is a real deal for E*. The $200 million over 6 years is than much less than some estimates of what some estimated for monthly fees.
The amount awarded in the contempt ruling was being held in escrow. With the dismissal of the injunctions, I assume that money will be returned to E*. I think TIVO was feeling the heat from E* with regard to E*'s patent infringement suit against TIVO on the DVR recording patents. The reduced licensing amount from what had previously been offered is probably E*'s licensing fee for the DVR recording patents.

The amount awarded in the contempt ruling was being held in escrow. With the dismissal of the injunctions, I assume that money will be returned to E*. I think TIVO was feeling the heat from E* with regard to E*'s patent infringement suit against TIVO on the DVR recording patents. The reduced licensing amount from what had previously been offered is probably E*'s licensing fee for the DVR recording patents.
So what ,after all these years of ongoing lawsuits , an even trade between Echostar's patents and Tivo's patents? :confused:

No, you have to read the whole sentence: "TiVo also granted EchoStar a license under the same ‘389 patent and certain related patents, for the remaining life of those patents, to design and make certain DVR-enabled products solely for DISH Network and two international customers."

TiVo granted a licence to E* to make certain products. This is E* making them with the Tivo patents not the other way around.

When they divided the company into Dish Network and Echostar, wasn't Echostar supposed to be the independent equipment maker that would start building set top boxes and DVRs for other companies - possibly including Cable companies? I would guess that other TV providers would have been reluctant to buy an Echostar made DVR given the uncertainty created by the Tivo lawsuit. But it sounds like this settlement makes sure that Echostar will never compete against Tivo for providing DVRs to cable companies. I also wonder if this seals the fate of the Channel Master CM-7000PAL - the Over-the-air DVR that is made by Echostar, but marketed by Channel Master? Since that "DVR enabled product" is not made solely for "DISH Network," I would think they would have to stop selling it.

I think this statement in the press release is important for all us subscribers and might be the first thing we will see out of this agreement:
Additionally, we believe that our agreement with TiVo provides us a competitive advantage as one of the few multichannel operators with rights to operate under TiVo’s Time Warp patent, which ultimately will allow us to enhance the performance of our award-winning DVRs."
Scott, if you could address this statement with them specifically? What receivers are going to get enhanced with the "Time Warp" patent? It would sure help the 922 out with getting a performance boost, and probably all the VIP DVRs could benefit from it. Or is this statement only talking about DVR products that haven't been released yet or pending announcement at the Team Summit? Echostar had to of been writing a software contingency in the event things go their way.