Dish Network and Tivo Settle Lawsuit!!!!

At 300 million over six years that is 50 million per year which is around 4 million per month. Dish Network has around 14 million subscribers so it is costing around 30 cents per customer per month. If a third of the customers have DVR then it is costing a dollar per month. They get way more than this in DVR fees from us. It is no different than Dish Network adding a channel to their package paying something close to that amount per subscriber only Dish Network is making MUCH MUCH MUCH more profit on the DVR fee than on a station. 30 cents for a $7-17 fee on your account.

Charlie got out of this CHEAP!!!

This is pretty much like the TV Guide/Gemstar settlement several years ago. It was for about the same amount of money. Although Dish prevailed in the suit brought by TV Guide/Gemstar--who sued just everybody else, as well: DirecTV, TW, Charter, et al.--a higher court ruled that due to an error, there would have to be a new trial. Within a week a settlement was announced, and that is why we have the TV Guide bug, but also TV Guide patents and technology.

That suit, like TiVo's had virtually no effect on Dish, no so much on TV Guide and the old Gemstar. Just a lot of lawyers are disappointed about the end of the gravy train.

Bin Laden is dead, Obama has a birth certificate, white iPhone 4 is available and now this. I think I must have fallen through a wormhole into an alternate universe.

Maybe the skip-back button on the DVR will become unbroken at some point, and stretch-o-vision will cease. Who knows? At this point anything is possible. Is it too much to hope that the networks will stop with the screen spam?
"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead — your next stop, the Twilight Zone."
—Rod Serling
Ghpr13:)

Stargazer said:
At 300 million over six years that is 50 million per year which is around 4 million per month. Dish Network has around 14 million subscribers so it is costing around 30 cents per customer per month. If a third of the customers have DVR then it is costing a dollar per month. They get way more than this in DVR fees from us. It is no different than Dish Network adding a channel to their package paying something close to that amount per subscriber only Dish Network is making MUCH MUCH MUCH more profit on the DVR fee than on a station. 30 cents for a $7-17 fee on your account.

Based on some analyst, it was 40 cents. Since the past DVR fee increases were in part to cover the legal fight and potential damages, since this deal is cheaper than fighting on, I don't see why there should be more increases to cover the cost. Not saying they cannot raise the fee, but not due to this settlement.

nsafreak said:
That won't be easy to do until 2013. When they gave their rate increase this year they guaranteed not only the package pricing till 2013 but the receiver fees as well until 2013.

Not everything is frozen until 2013. AEP and multi- sport are not frozen so I would not be surprised if one or both of those go up in price.

Bin Laden is dead, Obama has a birth certificate, white iPhone 4 is available and now this. I think I must have fallen through a wormhole into an alternate universe.

Maybe the skip-back button on the DVR will become unbroken at some point, and stretch-o-vision will cease. Who knows? At this point anything is possible. Is it too much to hope that the networks will stop with the screen spam?

I think the one without those things was the alternate universe. i will never understand why it took so long to produce a white iphone. I will leave the other two alone.

Dish should not jack up the cost of boxes as they have done this year with 110% over prior cost for some models.

They could jack up other things as only your package is secured till 2013.

White iPhone had problems with glare when using camera.

I still expect TiVo to go under or, more likely, be absorbed into some other company.

Dish should not jack up the cost of boxes as they have done this year with 110% over prior cost for some models.
That was last year. And where do you get that they will, other than nowhere?

Tyralak said:
Right here. They're a dinosaur that needs to go. This outcome is ok, but I would have preferred them crushed.

Think about it this way, Charlie just paid TiVo enough so TiVo can live on to sue ATT and Verizon, two companies directly compete with him:)

Charlie got out of this CHEAP!!!

This is pretty much like the TV Guide/Gemstar settlement several years ago. It was for about the same amount of money. Although Dish prevailed in the suit brought by TV Guide/Gemstar--who sued just everybody else, as well: DirecTV, TW, Charter, et al.--a higher court ruled that due to an error, there would have to be a new trial. Within a week a settlement was announced, and that is why we have the TV Guide bug, but also TV Guide patents and technology.

That suit, like TiVo's had virtually no effect on Dish, no so much on TV Guide and the old Gemstar. Just a lot of lawyers are disappointed about the end of the gravy train.

I wonder if we will get a dancing Tivo man in our DISH guides now?

If this in any way helps to fix the super slow menu system on my 722k, then I am all for it. :)

Unlikely. Tivo's systems are even slower than Dish's. They're notoriously sluggish. In fact, they added those ridiculous circus noises to tell you that, yes the tivo has received your command, and it will get around to processing it when it damn well pleases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)