Dish Network announces 48 HD local cities that may be launched

Also the list probably was drawn up given Dish's experience in the past as to the negotiations of local stations. Some markets gave Dish a lot of trouble in the past about carriage issues. Several things they have to consider:

1. The size of the market
2. The number of stations in the market that will need to be carried
3. The spot beam coverage
4. The willingness of stations to allow retransmission

In some cases 2 large cities and a small city might be under a spot, the largest city and the small city might be picked because they do not have room for the 2 large cities at the same time. Remember when Waco, TX was first put up, it is a tiny market, but it just happened to be under a spot that had some room.

mdonnelly said:
1) OKC will probably be on the 129 satellite, so the Dish 1000 would be the way to go.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they be on 129? They can't move any of the existing spotbeams birds to it, can they? The footprint would be distorted.

From what I can see about Echostar 10, it will have 10 possible spot transponders- 4,12,18,23,25,26,27,29,31. One of those (4) is already a spot transponder on Echostar 8. The other 9 will presumably replace CONUS beams.

A couple of those are mostly LIL markets, so they will go on the spots. But there are approx 63 national SD channels (quite a few are PPV) that will need new homes...6 to 7 CONUS transponders.

5, 14, and half of 16 are also LIL, so they will clear out. 19 is mostly empty, so that's 3 and a half transponders. They need at least three more. Guess how many transponders at 110 have national HD channels...3.

SO...as best as I can see, the EVENTUAL plan would be....

All national HD at 61.5 and 129
HD LIL at 61.5 and 110
Distant HD Networks at 61.5 and 129.

Echostar 6 would probably move to 129. This could happen quickly, or take years.

This sounds like a big deal, but realistically, we're talking about moving 7 or so channels that only a small number of people get to a different satellite that MOST of those people already get due to Voom.

Also, they will want to keep as much of the HD-LIL on 110 as possible so they can eventually eliminate the SD versions of the same channels.

I could be totally wrong, but I seriously doubt any HD-LIL will be on 129 except distants. They HAVE to go on Spots.

They would have to swapout everyone in the big markets that only has an SD receiver to an MPEG-4 HD receiver in order to shut off those SD markets.

Here is hoping Detroit goes on the 129 at some point; I'm schedule for a Dish500 swap out for a Dish1000 next week from SBC, er, ATT.

Yup, I did.

Twice, actually. First time I called to set up the VOOM/Dish1000 I was told to call back after Feb 01 and they would have them. No prices or other details, just to call back.

Second time I called, to change my appointment, I asked again. That time, they said the new boxes will only be going to new customers and I (meaning the CSR) hadn't heard of any upgrade plans for current cutomers

Not much of an answer either way...but they both knew about the MPEG-4 changes/channels and the new boxes. So that is a good start.

I called them twice yesterday and was told to call back on Feb. 1st and the second time that the 211s were available through my local retailer. She gave me the phone number so I called him. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Oh well, just have to wait but at least it looks like we will get the same treatment as regular Dish Network customers.

Scott, can you confirm Dish has no plans for Hartford/New Haven locals in HD? I know you problably get OTA but I am sure there a few folks curious why Hartford is not in this list. BTW, Hartford is scheduled to launch in April via MPEG4 for Directv.

What about those markets that were SD markets that went to Dish1000 129 markets? I would think that they would launch HD locals to those markets in the near future as they would not need to put up a new dish to do so, only MPEG-4 receiver(s).

I'm just wondering how freaking long it will take Dish to get to Kansas City and why St.Louis, our inferior cousin with that pos Nelly, is higher than us.

Since only the 4 majors will be offered in HD LiL, I think it would be a good idea to offer the superstations to everyone in HD. Any thoughts?

I wholeheartedly agree with you destrada and do not understand why they have not launched the superstations in HD.

Yep those wpuld be the superstations we are talking about. At least put one WB and one UPN in HD (or one east coast feed and one west coast feed of each). Is that too much to ask? Dang!

Stargazer said:
Yep those wpuld be the superstations we are talking about. At least put one WB and one UPN in HD (or one east coast feed and one west coast feed of each). Is that too much to ask? Dang!
What is UPN broadcasting in HD ? My local UPN digital is all in SD right now according to TitanTV.

Last edited:
JH1949 said:
What is UPN broadcasting in HD ? My local UPN digital is all in SD right now according to TitanTV.

This is from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671

"UPN - broadcasting 1080i
UPN, in collaboration with its Viacom corporate sibling CBS, is now offering its third year of primetime HDTV in 2005-2006. 10 programs will be available in HDTV, including Veronica Mars, Everbody Hates Chris, Sex, Love & Secrets, and Eve. UPN corporate parent Viacom and Comcast announced a new agreement, which includes future carriage of UPN HDTV O&O stations."

I read somewhere that Vince McMahon wants to do Smackdown in HD soon too. Don't know if it's true or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)