Dish Network bids for Blockbuster at the last minute before the bidding deadline.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You tell us, how do you watch internet content on a 922 ?

I don't watch internet content on a 922! Don't even own one. Just a 722 and 722K just for satellite programming. If the 722 can surf the web on a web browser, I really don't know how to do that.

Whoops! Just saw Scotts post that video on demand is off the internet. I think I knew that but I don't really watch VOD service so haven't really tried that. I was more interested in other services, like Blockbuster Vudu and Netflix.

If they want to use Blockbuster for VOD services, they better hurry up and make their profits. ISPs are going to put bandwidth caps when this stuff REALLY hits mainstream. Netflix (and others) may be relatively inexpensive, but your internet service bill is going to go up... How may millions of households all wanting to download videos (and HD at that in the future) at prime time?

You are correct.
what all the iptv stream people do not get is most all of the broadband in the states is controlled by cable or telcos that have a large investment in video systems .
Are they really going to see there video profits go down and maintain a fair price for access to the cloud.
No I don't think so
The cost of broadband to the cloud will be increasing and the bundling deals will get better .
To most consumers the total price is all that matters and the streamers cant get there product to you without infrastructure

Whoops! Just saw Scotts post that video on demand is off the internet. I think I knew that...
Well, I definitely didn't know that. In fact, I thought it was just the opposite. VOD is the channel 1/501 stuff, and I sure as heck thought that was exclusively off satellite. VOD has to be via satellite for the 512/522/625 since they have no broadband connection.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/use-vod

Here's another link to what I prefer to call Dish On Demand:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/use-broadband-vod

As you can see, Dish makes a distinction between SVOD and BVOD, but still uses the VOD name in a confusion fashion. And by the way we now know what those mean in the release notes.

Last edited:
On your 722 Press The DVR Button on the remote...

Options 2 3 & 4 are all IP based VOD. Select any of these and the programs you select will be downloaded from the Internet.

Attachments

• vod1.jpg
    vod1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 186
IMHO we should stick to calling downloaded stuff "Dish On Demand" to avoid confusion with the satellite channel 1 stuff which is explicitly labeled "VOD".

Now... On a related note, why oh why can't Dish put the My Downloads section of Dish On Demand into the My Recordings menu as it is on DRA? I keep "renting" freebies and forgetting about them until after they expire. :( After they expire, you can't play them; they just sit there taking up space on your portion of the disk. :rant:Come to think of it, on DRA My Downloads and My Media both show up in My Recordings.

Now... On a related note, why oh why can't Dish put the My Downloads section of Dish On Demand into the My Recordings menu as it is on DRA? I keep "renting" freebies and forgetting about them until after they expire. :( After they expire, you can't play them; they just sit there taking up space on your portion of the disk. :rant:Come to think of it, on DRA My Downloads, and My Media all show up in My Recordings.
I agree with you and I keep doing the same thing myself.

IMHO we should stick to calling downloaded stuff "Dish On Demand" to avoid confusion with the satellite channel 1 stuff which is explicitly labeled "VOD".
Dish just jumped on the "fad" of "on demand" stuff and wants to appeal to people considering leaving cable. Remember, they used to use "video on demand" when talking about DVRs. I explicitly remember this when we had a 522 (5+ years ago).

Remember, they used to use "video on demand" when talking about DVRs. I explicitly remember this when we had a 522 (5+ years ago).
They still do! (See my 1st link above.) And when these are pre-loaded onto the DVR, then I have no problem calling them VOD since the access is instant. I do have a problem with the space Dish has reserved for this purpose. :rant: Yes, I know Dish has never advertised any more space than I have, but still. The hardware is there, but I can't use it for my recordings, and I never pay for Dish VOD period. I was sorry to say goodbye to my 501 in that regard. It had such a small disk, Dish didn't reserve anything for their {expletive deleted} overpriced VOD.

If they want to use Blockbuster for VOD services, they better hurry up and make their profits. ISPs are going to put bandwidth caps when this stuff REALLY hits mainstream. Netflix (and others) may be relatively inexpensive, but your internet service bill is going to go up... How may millions of households all wanting to download videos (and HD at that in the future) at prime time?

You are correct.
what all the iptv stream people do not get is most all of the broadband in the states is controlled by cable or telcos that have a large investment in video systems .
Are they really going to see there video profits go down and maintain a fair price for access to the cloud.
No I don't think so
The cost of broadband to the cloud will be increasing and the bundling deals will get better .
To most consumers the total price is all that matters and the streamers cant get there product to you without infrastructure

It goes into effect next month for AT &T w/ 200Gb limit if you want 250 you have to pay more for it. I think $10 per 50. I just left a cable co because they were B'n that I used more than other customers. The ISP's want to throttle us down unless they are making extra $$ for the on line usage. PO's me as there are no other ISP's in that area that can deliver 6 Mb or better.

They still do! (See my 1st link above.) And when these are pre-loaded onto the DVR, then I have no problem calling them VOD since the access is instant. I do have a problem with the space Dish has reserved for this purpose. :rant: Yes, I know Dish has never advertised any more space than I have, but still. The hardware is there, but I can't use it for my recordings, and I never pay for Dish VOD period. I was sorry to say goodbye to my 501 in that regard. It had such a small disk, Dish didn't reserve anything for their {expletive deleted} overpriced VOD.

Has hell frozen over? I agree with everything you posted.

From a movie junkie,
Ok so here's where I am at:
There was a tape rental store in every strip mall. I rented BetaMax because I thought the quality was better. Then VHS squeezed BM out of the stores so I changed machines. Then Blockbuster came to town and all my favorite mom and pop video stores closed. Laser disc arrived and I bought a player because quality was better. I rented laser discs from BB until they started selling out the inventory for $2-$3 per movie. Later, I got a DVD player to keep up with new releases, then an HD DVD machine until that tech went by the wayside and I now have been using a Blu-ray player since that became the way to go, for me.
I rent a lot of first run movies from BB. I don't think I have ever paid more than $3 for a rental or $20 a month for unlimited in-store or mail order. I have have watched about 20 PPV movies on Dish but all free from one promotion or another. Tightwad I am, I refuse to pay the $6 PPV price. The only PPV I have paid for over the years on Dish were UFC's. I go to the BB store a mile away 1-2 times a week to look for new blu-ray and I am happy. The only streaming I have done are TV shows on the PC that didn't record for some reason. Even though I have an Xbox and a PS3 I am of the mindset that any streaming will not match up to the quality of a blu-ray movie or an HD satellite broadcast on my 73 inch Mitsubishi.
I already have the dish every thing pack so if Dish starts streaming to the 722 and I start to get something additional to watch that doesn't cost me any more than the arm and leg I already give and is the same quality HD then I won't complain. Or if this Dish/BB gives me a new deal of what I want for less than I pay now and I can't tell the difference between sat and stream then I will be happier. Otherwise don't touch my junk, anymore.

This would be interesting to see if they can operate both B&M stores along with Dish, and integrate the streaming into DishOnline. What I'd really like to see is a Blockbuster streaming app for the 922.

Oh, Blockbuster....

I know the closest one is hiring...I was halfway tempted to go in and laugh at why a company on the verge of Chapter 7 liquidation would be hiring :p

But yeah, it'd be interesting to see what Dish does with Blockbuster. From Blockbuster's standpoint it's a no-brainer but I'm wondering what the heads at Dish are thinking about the potential risks, though I'm betting they have a lot planned out.

well it was predicted the BB wouldn't live past Dec 2011.......so it came partly true as Dish now owns them...I still see the stores closing as many people rather order movies from home or get them at redbox when they are out at the store shopping. Dish will probably create a netflix type streaming service for their subs

Then Blockbuster came to town and all my favorite mom and pop video stores closed.

I know for all the damage Blockbuster did, it's amazing it ended up being worth only $320 million which was just about what the last lottery paid off. I don't know what all this means but I can bet my bill will go up. You don't think Charlie's paying for this do you?

DISH NETWORK STATEMENT ON BANKRUPTCY COURT APPROVAL OF BLOCKBUSTER ASSET SALE

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., April 7, 2011 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) issued the following statement concerning the N.Y. bankruptcy court hearing on Blockbuster, Inc.:

“We are pleased the bankruptcy court approved our agreement to purchase substantially all of the assets of Blockbuster. Closing of the transaction is now contingent upon receipt of regulatory approvals, which we anticipate receiving by April 22.”

I never thought about the VOD taking bandwidth. I don't have my 722k hooked up but was thinking about hooking it up, but it sounds like that would be eating bandwidth that is going to be capped starting in May. I use Netflix, Foxsoccer.tv, online gaming, Epix is an option now. I don't know whether I'd be close to 250 GB, but I'd rather not waste unused bandwidth to download VOD.

Does anyone know how much bandwidth that sucks up? An HD movie is about 3 to 5 GB on my DVR/external drive. Is it downloading that much multiplied by the movies on VOD?!

Very simple. Don't go to Dish On Demand and download a movie. Go to channel 1 or 501 and select it there. That comes down via satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)