Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The following was sent to Dish Network retailers.

Dear DISH Network Retailer,
We want to make sure to get the word out about the major Big Ten football games available to qualifying subscribers on DISH Network channels this college football season. The action starts today with the University of Alabama - Birmingham vs. Michigan State game on ESPN2 and ESPN2HD.
Big Ten Football is bigger than ever:

· ABC/ESPN signed a ten year contract with the Big Ten guaranteeing over 40 Big Ten conference games each year.
· SIX Big Ten marquee games will be broadcast on ABC or ESPN this year.
· ABC/ESPN will get first pick of Big Ten games each week, which means the best games will be on an ABC or ESPN.
DISH Network will be using various media, including print and radio, during the first part of the season in targeted markets to advertise a “DISH Network Game of the Week” so that qualifying subscribers will know when to tune in (see table below). Other Big Ten campaign advertising materials will include the statement, “DISH Network has your college football games from Big Ten, ACC, Big East and Pac-10 presented on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNU, and ABC.” Ad slicks and radio scripts will be available on DishMarketingSolutions for you to use to promote Big Ten games appearing on DISH Network channels. Encourage your customers to visit www.dishnetwork.com/big10 for regularly updated Big Ten college football broadcast schedules.

DISH Network Game of the Week
(Varies by Location)
Date
Channel
Package
University of Alabama vs. Michigan State*
9/1/2007
ESPN2
AT100
Iowa vs. Northern Illinois
9/1/2007
ESPNU
AT250
Missouri vs. Illinois*
9/1/2007
ESPN2
AT100
Washington State vs. Wisconsin
9/1/2007
ABC
Locals
Purdue vs. Toledo
9/1/2007
ESPNU
AT250
Oregon vs. Michigan*
9/8/2007
ABC
Locals
Notre Dame vs. Penn State*
9/8/2007
ESPN
AT100
Indiana vs. Western Michigan
9/8/2007
ESPNU
AT250
Wisconsin vs. UNLV
9/8/2007
Versus
AT250
Central Michigan vs. Purdue*
9/15/2007
ESPN2
AT100
Illinois vs. Syracuse
9/15/2007
ESPNU
AT250
Pittsburgh vs. Michigan State*
9/15/2007
ESPN
AT100
Iowa vs. Iowa State
9/15/2007
Versus
AT250
Norte Dame vs. Michigan*
9/15/2007
ABC
Locals
Ohio State vs. Washington*
9/15/2007
ESPN
AT100
Michigan State vs. Norte Dame
9/22/2007
NBC
Locals
Iowa vs. Wisconsin
9/22/2007
ABC
Locals
Purdue vs. Minnesota*
9/22/2007
ESPN2
AT100
* Available in HD (receipt of high definition programming requires a subscription to qualifying programming package and necessary equipment, including an HD receiver and HD television).
There are a few Big Ten non-conference games (e.g., Citadel vs. Wisconsin) that air on the Big Ten Network (BTN). For several months, DISH network has been diligently negotiating with BTN to obtain a carriage agreement consistent with other regional sports networks, but BTN wants unreasonable and inconsistent payments from all of our customers regardless of whether or not they are Big Ten fans. The good news is that DISH Network customers who are Big Ten fans will get most of their games with the current channels available on DISH network – at no additional cost.

Thank You for Supporting DISH Network.

I'm sorry but Dish must be stupid to think this is going to fool anyone. They don't have BTN and Big Ten fans will miss games. This marketing ploy doesn't change that.

This is really poor

I have to agree, this is really poor. Keep up the stance about BTN being an RSN or that the demands are unreasonable. Believe me, I have plenty of blame for the Big Ten Network. Please, continue to educate me on why you won't pick up the channel rather than use a marketing campaign "Big Ten Football is bigger than ever" and list only channels that are available with every other provider.

Echostar you have many subscribers and its not because of marketing ploys like this, Please keep your focus to what subscribers really want!

If you are a big ten basketball fan then it gets even worse! For example Wisconsin has 18 conference games and 11-or 12 will be exclusive to BTN. I would think all the other big ten basketball teams will be the same.

If you are a big ten basketball fan then it gets even worse! For example Wisconsin has 18 conference games and 11-or 12 will be exclusive to BTN. I would think all the other big ten basketball teams will be the same.

Iowa has 16 of 18 conference games on BTN.

TWo words for you : CHARLIE 's CHEAP. HE doesn't want to pay more for rsns and sports that will drive up the total price for all subs ,even those who have no interest in sports. THis is the key to DISH's success over the years and why they keep adding more subs per quarter than DIrectv . They are the cheaper more afforadable alternative to Directv that has all the sports you do or don't want. I for one would rather not have every sport added unless the sports subs themselves want to pay for them per ala carte . Don't jack my prices so you can watch every football game known to man, on Sundays. This is CHarlie's reasoning and why he won't add them unless they agree to his terms.

well, i'll be thinking about you guys this weekend when i watch real big ten games on the real big ten network. and again on sunday when i watch several nfl games of my choice in sparkling hi-definition!

seriously, from my emails to BTN, it didn't sound like this might show up on dish anytime soon. and i think that really blows. i would suggest you guys protest but i'm not sure if anyone would listen.

I for one am glad that Dish refuses to be blackmailed by yet another upstart network that wants to charge too much for limited programming. The funny part is that very few cable companies are carrying BTN either so I hope they eat crow. Even Time Warner, the major cable company in the Columbus, OH area (and many other areas in Ohio) doesn't carry it.

This is going to suck when it comes to basketball. I will probably get to see a lot of I.U. basketball anyway, but would like to see them all, or most of them. BUT, I dont think it is right to charge us all an arm and a leg for it either.

I was completely with Dish on the BTN matter...until this. WTH!?!? They would've been much better off by not saying anything more than, "hey! sorry we don't carry this network; but c'mon...it's too damn expensive". Now that they've come with this "notice", it just smacks of, "oh well...at least you have THESE games...so be happy already"!!

Nothing worse than having a company patronize their customers.

Just like some of you guys do not feel that YES-HD is necessary. I feel like BTN is not necessary either. I am not a football fan. I watch ocassionally but no big deal. So to me it does not matter.

I agree with many of you. I am a subscriber to E* and could care less about getting all the niche sports channels that I probably won't watch. I can find more than enough sports now that I can possibly watch. If E* subscribers want all the sports channels and want to pay for them switch to D* and stop whining in these threads. It's just that simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts