Dish Network Big 10 Notice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So, if E* signs up with the BTN, how many people here are going to drop E*?

There have been so many posts that have decried the BTN and have advocated for E* to not sign. The vote against the BTN was overwhelming. I believe a number of people did post that they would drop E* if they signed up.

It will be interesting to revisit some of the BTN threads if E* does sign.

There have been so many posts that have decried the BTN and have advocated for E* to not sign. The vote against the BTN was overwhelming. I believe a number of people did post that they would drop E* if they signed up.

So people would drop E* simply for getting a new channel? Do people think that they would see an IMMEDIATE price increase? Wouldn't they wait to see how it played out?

The numbers that would leave due to the signing of B10, would be more than offset by the gains they can get while Comcast plays there game of hardball with B10.

If Big Ten Network has anything going for it in coming to Dish, its that Charlie is a huge college football fan.

Is it Charlie that has the D* box and is playing with DOD (you mentioned E* folks had one)? Maybe that's how he can watch the BTN games while the contract stuff is going on;)

I believe a number of people did post that they would drop E* if they signed up.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Are they just going to drop E* out of principal and go with D*? Oh wait, D* already has the same channel. Maybe they just won't watch TV at all anymore, that will teach providers a lesson for adding new channels.

For me it's been a cumulative thing. Not just BTN. I didn't leave just for one channel. But EI and the NHL Network also. I'll be a former Dish customer a week from Friday. I got a real nice deal.....oddly enough though, it wasn't from DirecTV's 'Win-Back' program.

If Big Ten Network has anything going for it in coming to Dish, its that Charlie is a huge college football fan.

Yeah, Tennessee Volunteer fan, not a fan of any Big Ten Teams. It really doesn't matter. Charlie would be an idiot to pay 1 cent for this station before Comcast does.

So then Jeff, when the SEC starts there channel (possible as soon as next year), I dont want to hear any complaining from you about why they dont add the SEC channel. (If Big10 isnt added this year)

Yeah, Tennessee Volunteer fan, not a fan of any Big Ten Teams. It really doesn't matter. Charlie would be an idiot to pay 1 cent for this station before Comcast does.

Just wait until Comcast and the SEC create the SEC Network next year. Then there will be an "SEC Network" thread, and all of us Big 10 folks will say how we hope that E* doesn't pick it up.

I don't see how College Football (and sports fans in general) can be against this network. It gives you more viewing options, plus there is a liklihood that Tennessee may end up getting exposure via the network as well (in minor sports like Soccer, etc).

So then Jeff, when the SEC starts there channel (possible as soon as next year), I dont want to hear any complaining from you about why they dont add the SEC channel.

They shouldn't add any where the sole motive for the channels creation is to make all cable/dbs customers make up for the revenue that the company failed to get from the advertising market.

Example:

Current NBA contract which in my opinion is CRIMINAL:
NBC LOST MONEY on their previous contract with the NBA
ESPN/Disney then paid more money than NBC and gets far less in advertising. Where is the money coming from? It's coming from cable/dbs rate hikes. Please explain the supply/demand market forces here. There are none as long as cable/dbs feel they HAVE to pay for ESPN even if it was $30/month just for ESPN.

The only motivation for BTN was a guaranteed revenue stream. That's an outrage.

I can't believe some diehard fans will just blindly take B10's side even if they are robbing OLD LADIES which is what they are doing here.

My wife is on board with switching to D* when our commitment is up(hopefully it wont come to that), she is a football fan, could care less about basketball, but likes Wrestling and Softball both of which will have nice exposure on this network.

Just wait until Comcast and the SEC create the SEC Network next year. Then there will be an "SEC Network" thread, and all of us Big 10 folks will say how we hope that E* doesn't pick it up.

I don't see how College Football (and sports fans in general) can be against this network. It gives you more viewing options, plus there is a liklihood that Tennessee may end up getting exposure via the network as well (in minor sports like Soccer, etc).

Sorry, but you are completely missing the mark here. It's people living in B10land like me who DON'T want BTN because we have to pay for it. People in SECland will only be charged 10 cents. I shouldn't really care about and SEC channel because it won't be me who is charged for it. However, I do care simply out of precedent and principle. I'm against all of these channels. The average NON-SPORTS(I AM A SPORTS FAN) already has to pay for way to much sports.

Is there a list out there of what the esimated costs of different channels are per subscriber? I would love to see where all the money goes.. how much do we pay to have all the channels... the arguments against big 10, can be used against any new network/channel no matter what it shows.

funny Jeff... but many of us ARE in b10 land and want this channel. its the folx in b10 land that have the 10 day wait to get D* installed right now.

My wife is on board with switching to D* when our commitment is up(hopefully it wont come to that), she is a football fan, could care less about basketball, but likes Wrestling and Softball both of which will have nice exposure on this network.

Great, I hope you enjoy BTN for the 6-12 months it lasts. There is no chance it survives when only DTV customers are paying for it.

J...
Because, as I said back here, this is just the camel sticking his nose in the tent. The conference networks are a harbinger of free football disappearing from the landscape. The end result will be that the conferences will have a monopoly on television coverage, and your viewing options will actually decrease.

Is there a list out there of what the esimated costs of different channels are per subscriber? I would love to see where all the money goes.. how much do we pay to have all the channels... the arguments against big 10, can be used against any new network/channel no matter what it shows.

ESPN costs about 7-8 times as much as MTV, NICK, Lifetime...
BTN wants to be the 2nd most expensive channel behind only ESPN(more than Fox Sports Detroit here). There is no comparison between you having to pay for Lifetime and some old lady having to pay for BTN, NONE.

ESPN costs about 7-8 times as much as MTV, NICK, Lifetime...
BTN wants to be the 2nd most expensive channel behind only ESPN(more than Fox Sports Detroit here). There is no comparison between you having to pay for Lifetime and some old lady having to pay for BTN, NONE.

This is where you are wrong. Channels like Lifetime don't exist without a more popular higher cost network to support it.

And where are you getting these numbers? people say it, but show the proof.

Also, there IS a comparision, I dont watch MANY channels, if you add them up, I bet its more than HALF of my bill. I dont watch more than 2 or 3 SD channels anymore, but i have to pay for them. I dont watch half of the HD channels being offered, but i pay for them. So what can't I get a network that I want to watch?

This is where you are wrong. Channels like Lifetime don't exist without a more popular higher cost network to support it.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Please explain how the Disney owned ESPN is supporting the Viacom owned MTV. There isn't some pool of money that all channels equally share. When Dish pays for MTV, they write a check to Viacom. When they pay for ESPN, they write a check to Disney(yes, I know one contract with Viacom will cover more than just MTV, but it doesn't cover any Disney stations). When a Time Warner station is pulled off the air due to a carriage dispute, it doesn't hurt the Viacom stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)