Dish Network Booth Preview

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
I wandered through the Dish Network booth today and caught a glimse of them setting up all the demos and equipment. I ran into Leslie Harper and she graciously showed me a few of their new products.

First off, there was external storage for the 622. They are going to allow you to buy your own external usb hard drive and use it with your 622. There will be a one time enabling fee you will have to pay, but no monthly fee. Once the hard drive is used with the 622, it will only work with receivers on that account. Meaning if your 622 breaks the external storage will work with your replacement 622 without losing the data on the external hard drive.

Second was the IPTV demonstration. They were still getting it set up but she said it will be beta tested by live customers that own 622s. At first they will be offering SD programming and then expanding into HD movies. Also starting out, you will have to download the entire program before watching it (so start your download in the morning at watch it at night). Eventually they plan on letting you download the start of the file and then watch it while the rest is downloading (obviously you have to be downloading faster than you are watching for this to work).

Of course none of this is new for Satelliteguys readers, but it was cool to see it in action. Press conference tomorrow should be good and can't wait to play with all the demos. The show floor was nuts with forklift guys zooming all over the place and the construction people putting all the exhibits together. I'm betting they are working all night to get everything together for tomorrow.

Thanks... Time reference as to when? and fee for each drive or one time only?

It sounded like they were announcing it tomorrow at the press conference. I'm guessing it will be available to customers soon (probably announce it at the next charlie chat). The fee sounded like it was "per account", meaning its a charge to enable external recording on your receivers.

We'll try and get more details tomorrow. Leslie seemed pretty excited about the new features and was nice to take some time to explain them. It looked like they had just got most of the receivers hooked up, and they were all tuned to CBS-HD for the playoff games (i didnt get a chance to see exactly what channel they were tuned to :))

Nice report in advance of the show, HE. Now I won't need to ask those questions when I get there tomorrow. BTW- How did you sneak in past security?

I used the entrance right at the bottom of the escalator you took to get to the press area. There was an older guy working security there and I just sort of walked on in.

They only had a 622 on display at the external recording demo. In fact the only recievers I saw in the whole booth were 211s and 622s, but I will ask about external recording on other platforms.

First off, there was external storage for the 622. They are going to allow you to buy your own external usb hard drive and use it with your 622. There will be a one time enabling fee you will have to pay, but no monthly fee.

Great News!

Once the hard drive is used with the 622, it will only work with receivers on that account. Meaning if your 622 breaks the external storage will work with your replacement 622 without losing the data on the external hard drive.

More Great News!

Second was the IPTV demonstration. ...starting out, you will have to download the entire program before watching it ...... Eventually they plan on letting you download the start of the file and then watch it while the rest is downloading (obviously you have to be downloading faster than you are watching for this to work).

Not necessarily. You could download enough of the file to start watching, slowly catching up to the last frame downloaded. If you have downloaded enough, you'll never "catch up" so you've seen the whole thing, even though you're downloading slower than you're watching.

Thank you very much for the good news, building upon what we've learned so far.

This is great news! Could you also find out if we will have the ability to move already recorded content to/from the external drive. It would be great to put all the kids cartoons on one drive, movies on another, wife's shows on another etc...

That is good news on the external storage. A one time fee is alot better than what we all thought Dish would charge. I wonder if this will work on the 211 receivers to turn them into DVRs? That would be cool. Thanks for the good work guys.

Nice, and prices of the external drives keeps coming down! Good news indeed!

You may also use an internal drive, an enclosure is available for as little as $15 these days.

This is a great announcement. Looks like I'll need to bridge my 622

Is the data encrypted on the external hard drive? Is there a special format that only Dish receivers can read/write?

Data is encrypted on the external HDD and can only be played back on receivers on the same account.

Just did a quick walkthrough this morning and saw the AT&T homezone stb in the booth. The reciever has 2 satellite inputs and 2 OTA inputs as well. Also in the Dish product literature was a ViP612, which looks like a dual tuner single TV HD DVR.

The ViP612 comes in a black case as opposed to the silver 211 and 622.

Also on display was mobileDish, which is basically a flat satellite dish you attach to your SUV (its a pretty big panel) and can watch dish on the go. Very similar to the existing product available for directv.

I didn't see any new programming on the wall o' hd monitors, not sure if they will discuss anymore at the press conference.

I'm writing down the questions you guys are asking so I can ask when the booth people show up.

Hokie, throw in the "How much will the fee be for the external storage activation?" Even if they can give us a range or a "less than X" would be good to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts