dish network can I get it?

dhowell

Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
I have a very wooded lot in Alabama 35005 zip. I am trying to figure out if I can get Dish Network. Can I use a compass to figure it out? Does Dish HD require a large range of azimuth like Directv and how many satellites does Dish HD have to hit? Any help would be appreciated.

go here: Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and put your address in. Put the green pointer where you propose having a dish, and use the obstacle checker to see if you have line of sight.

You're near Birmingham which is now on eastern arc but the locals are also on the western arc, so either 61.5/72.5/77 or 110/119/129 should work for you. The finder has settings for dish 1000 and 1000.4, but put each satellite in one at a time to see the exact pointing for each one. Good luck!

Find a compass that can do inclination. I have this one:
Silva Ranger CL Compass at REI.com

Then type your address into the website provided by Pepper. I think you will need the 1000.4 dish, but I am a DISH newbie so I dunno. I chose the 1000.4 dish for your zip code and it gave me:

magnetic heading: 157.7
inclination: 48

Use the compass to eyeball a LOS.

I just had to do the same thing to find a spot in my yard that would work. I only found one spot. Hopefully that will help out the installer a lot.

An inclinometer will tell you for sure, but the online tools will get you pretty close. Especially since they added that obstacle thing on there that you just put it on the tree or whatever, and it tells you how tall it has to be to get in the way.

Thanks for the info, guys. Very informative. I had Directv for ten years but when I tried to convert to HD , DTV told me they couldn't hit the three satellites needed to get HD. I am forced to go to cable ( which I hate) or Dish. Dish is my last hope.

Especially since they added that obstacle thing on there that you just put it on the tree or whatever, and it tells you how tall it has to be to get in the way.
Yea , and then get out your bucket Truck and 100 foot Tape measure and see if you have a clear line of sight over the neighbors 200 year old oak tree.:rolleyes: I agree the web is a nice way to get a good idea of your direction. But a poor way for assessing a clear line of sight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts