DISH Network co-founder accused of bullying execs for political donations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"Anonymous source"...always a red flag for me.

Re: DISH Network co-founder accused of bullying execs for political donations Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/dish-network-co-founder-accused-bullying-execs-for-political-donations/#ixzz2G5QOFXWk

Someone could do some digging and see if Han, for instance, leans Republican and if so, it would be a little unusual, but not unheard of, for him to contribute to Democrats. On the other hand, when it comes to "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours", what's a couple thousand to those folks??

Hey they forced me to make thousands of dollars in political contributions also.

I remember a few years ago Jim defranco sent me an email asking for a political donation of anywhere from $500 to the maximum of $2500.

I sent in $500, only to get a phone call a few days later from someone in upper management telling me that with the amount of money I'm making with them that $500 was not enough and they really need my full support of $2500.

Talk about being bullied into donating money.

Btw, it's not only me. They also solicited 50 or so of their other top retailers and their distributors.

I remember several of the distributors contributed $30,000 each

I didn't want to donate any money, but had to to protect my status with Dish

There is a site somewhere that posts political contributions.

Go look up the national republican congressional committee.

All the names on there are either dish executives, distributor partners or large retailers like me.

If the PAC has contributed all they're allowed, I guess the next step is for the PAC members to contribute personally.

At least Soroya came out into the open with her allegations (hostile workplace and intimidation)--AFTER she was cut loose. She even got a nice settlement out if it. One can't get a settlement by hiding in the shadows as an "unnamed insider" :). This is a dumb move by the Republicans as the Democrats will cite just as many workplaces requiring political donations to Republican causes. This won't get either party anywhere.

There may be more here in that a CEO may feel that one party is more beneficial to them than the other and that such donations are good for business. Hence the pressure to donate, not for politics, necessarily, but a CEO feels that certain Senators from one party have been far more hospitable and even helpful or have positions that line up with the interests of his business. Then, of course, don't we all know that some Senator will coyly let it be know, in the manner of a Yes, Minister episode, that it would be so nice if said CEO would remember this Senator and, even better, also include fellow elected officials of the party and even see if the party itself could be supported. After all, the Republicans are Rupert Murdoch's, with very little favors left over for other media CEO's. IMHO, I do think the Dems have positions that by coincidence do work better for Dish, such as Net Neutrality, etc., but many other companies also have desires that coincide with positions taken by Dems.

Every company pressures it employees and management to donate to political entities or even non-profit charities. I know of someone who works at a college and his supervisor sends out emails soliciting for MS, and if you contribute, you are "in" and if you don't (or too small a donation) you can find yourself given an unfair load of work, find yourself with new crappy duties that weren't yours--all through the proper process, of course, it's just a matter of who is going to do and do with less in the department--and find yourself not invited or included in certain "parties" and celebrations, or you hold down the fort while the rest of us go to the campus faculty/staff party.

I also know of someone else whose CEO was on the board of United Way, and he ALWAYS sent out the word/memo (in the days before email) to solicit donations. That person was like #3 in the company and because of her daily access to the CEO, the CEO was very blunt about how he expected EVERYONE to contribute and how low he thought of any who didn't contribute and they would be first out the door when the time comes and whose status was LESS than any those who contributed. And, of course, his top managers (including his #3) were expected to contribute, and handsomely, without even any solicitation. It was just announced to them that it was time to donate to United Way.

This stuff goes on everyday at just about every workplace in the country. So, nothing particularly evil at Dish. However, it does stink, and should not be happening in the first place, but while the law is there to, in most cases, address unfair treatment, who is gonna stick their neck out? Alos, in the case of a department manager being told to cease solicitations from corporate above him, that manager goes on a witch hunt, and you'd better hope he doesn't think it is you who tattled. There are ways of retaliating that can withstand a review by union or even govt. labor boards.

I totally see Claude's difficult position. It is very unwise to defy such solicitations. I wish we all could really fix this.

Last edited:
On a job I hated and wanted to get fired from I made a very loud and public noise about being solicited for charities at work.
At the time I was heavily involved with the MDA and was not interested (and am still not interested) in giving to the UW. My then employer was insisting on 100% involvement by the employees I said this out loud in a company meeting. I flat out refused to be bullied. I spoke up in the meeting saying it was unfair to be pressured to give to an organization one did not trust while the veiled threat of losing one's job or retribution was looming in the air. I continued over the protestation of the speaker (VP of stupid ideas) by asking him why the UW and not MDA or Ruth Lyons or St. Jude. I also said that many of the employees barely made enough to feed their families, not everyone was an executive with generous salaries. Instead of getting fired, it stated a small firestorm of murmuring and affirmation from other employees knowing I would be the lighting rod. The management wasn't happy, but nothing was ever said to me nor did I feel any real wrath. The nature of the job did not lend itself for advancement so I am not sure if I was ever blacklisted. Anyway, I stayed there for another 2 years... we were never asked to give to any specific charity again. I guess all it takes is one disgruntled employee to change the course of a company in this respect. You just have to be to leave the company.

Is this a general condemnation of the MSM (deserved) or do you trust sources such as MSNBC and Huffpo?

Be serious MSDNC has not had what you could call news coverage in years at least on Fox you get opposing views and people are actually allowed to talk if they disagree with a host.

MSNBC is just doing what Fox has been doing for the past 15 years. Also the MSNBC website is separate to the television channel and Huffington Post is basically an aggregator.

We got around resistance to 100% participation in the Navy by donating $1 on behalf of each non-participant. Sure, it cost me a few bucks, but it kept the spotlight off me.

I learned early on about UW and later refused to donate. Still rather give elsewhere. And they did get in a bit of trouble later on.

I'm always a little skeptical of news blurbs that originate on Faux News.

Yeah, and like there is no bias on the other news networks. Or any channel for that matter. Out of all the channels out there (including the Fox Broadcast network), they are all left-wing loons. This would be your only conservative source at all. Why do you have a problem with some competition in reporting? And only one for that matter. I'll give it to Dish that they at least offer a second conservative news source, TheBlaze, but this is crazy and makes me as a customer upset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts