Dish Network cuts deal to carry CBS, Showtime

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Dish Network cuts deal to carry CBS, Showtime

Dish Network will pay CBS to carry its broadcast network.
New York-based CBS and Dish reached a new carriage agreement for the flagship network and CBS's Showtime cable channel, Dana McClintock, a company spokesman, said in an interview. Francie Bauer, a spokeswoman at Doug las County-based Dish, confirmed a deal was reached.

Source & More: Denverpost.com

Dish Network Agrees to Pay CBS to Carry TV Network

By Andy Fixmer
Feb. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Dish Network Corp., the second- largest satellite-television provider, will pay CBS Corp. to carry its broadcast network, the most-watched in the season that began in September.

Source & More: Bloomberg.com

Dish Network Agrees to Pay CBS to Carry TV Network

By Andy Fixmer
Feb. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Dish Network Corp., the second- largest satellite-television provider, will pay CBS Corp. to carry its broadcast network, the most-watched in the season that began in September.

Source & More: Bloomberg.com
Sooo- what DOES this mean - in simple terms? What programs will they be getting?

Lot's of possibilities. Showtime (the most likely). TMC. Smithsonian.

From Wikipedia, here are CBS-owned television station. Many of the CBS affiliates they already carry in HD

Television Stations

Currently, a total of 28 stations, consisting of: 14 CBS stations, nine CW-affiliated stations, three independent stations, one My Network TV affiliate, and one low-power MTV Tr3?s station.
Market Station TV / DT Affiliation
1. New York City WCBS-TV 2 / 56 CBS
2. Los Angeles KCBS-TV 2 / 60 CBS KCAL-TV 9 / 43 Independent
3. Chicago WBBM-TV 2 / 3 CBS
4. Philadelphia KYW-TV 3 / 26 CBS WPSG 57 / 32 CW
5. Fort Worth - Dallas KTVT 11 / 19 CBS KTXA 21 / 18 Independent
6. San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose KPIX 5 / 29 CBS KBCW 44 / 45 CW
7. Boston WBZ-TV 4 / 30 CBS WSBK-TV 38 / 39 Independent
8. Atlanta WUPA 69 / 43 CW
11. Detroit WKBD-TV 50 / 14 CW WWJ-TV 62 / 44 CBS
13. St. Petersburg - Tampa WTOG-TV 44 / 59 CW
14. Tacoma - Seattle KSTW 11 / 36 CW
15. Minneapolis - St. Paul WCCO-TV 4 / 32 CBS
16. Miami - Fort Lauderdale WFOR-TV 4 / 22 CBS WBFS-TV 33 / 32 My Network TV
18. Denver KCNC-TV 4 / 35 CBS
20. Stockton - Sacramento - Modesto KOVR 13 / 25 CBS KMAX-TV 31 / 21 CW
23. Pittsburgh KDKA-TV 2 / 25 CBS WPCW 19 / 49 CW
25. Indianapolis WBXI-CA 47 / None MTV Tr3?s
26. Baltimore WJZ-TV 13 / 38 CBS
43. Portsmouth - Norfolk - Newport News WGNT 27 / 50 CW

What about CBS-channel 6 in Beaumont, Tx? I sure hope that this helps fix this problem ,since they won't allow DISH to carry them over retransmission fees.

Any new deal is good for us in the long run. Maybe Smithsonian was being held hostage until a deal was reached.

Some more HD Showtimes. Please!

This probably means nothing to us. There is several Showtime feeds in both SD and HD that Dish doesn't carry. In addition HBO, MAX, and Starz is the same way as well.

It sounds like a new contract was reached, but that doesn't mean they will add the addition SD and HD feeds that are available from Showtime that most cable companies carry but Dish and Directv for that matter doesn't...not counting the west coast feeds as well. However, some CBS' may be added because Dish seems to solely concentrate more on locals than any other HD or SD cable channel at this time.

Showtime has the following networks: Showtime, Showtime 2, Showtime Next, Showtime Women, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Beyond, Showtime Showcase, Showtime FamilyZone, TMC, TMC Xtra, and Flix. Most of these channels have a west coast feed as well. Also, there is HD feeds of Showtime, Showtime 2, Showtime Showcase, Showtime Extreme, TMC, and TMC Xtra of which Dish only carries 1 Showtime HD.

Like I said, this is merely a release stating they have resigned an agreement to 'continue' to carry CBS/Showtime services and thats it...but it doesn't mean Dish has to add additional channels.

This probably means nothing to us. There is several Showtime feeds in both SD and HD that Dish doesn't carry. In addition HBO, MAX, and Starz is the same way as well.

It sounds like a new contract was reached, but that doesn't mean they will add the addition SD and HD feeds that are available from Showtime that most cable companies carry but Dish and Directv for that matter doesn't...not counting the west coast feeds as well. However, some CBS' may be added because Dish seems to solely concentrate more on locals than any other HD or SD cable channel at this time.

Showtime has the following networks: Showtime, Showtime 2, Showtime Next, Showtime Women, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Beyond, Showtime Showcase, Showtime FamilyZone, TMC, TMC Xtra, and Flix. Most of these channels have a west coast feed as well. Also, there is HD feeds of Showtime, Showtime 2, Showtime Showcase, Showtime Extreme, TMC, and TMC Xtra of which Dish only carries 1 Showtime HD.

Like I said, this is merely a release stating they have resigned an agreement to 'continue' to carry CBS/Showtime services and thats it...but it doesn't mean Dish has to add additional channels.

Dish has added multiple channels of evey other premium multiplex. Doubt Showtime would be different. in fact, they announce 3 of them in Scott's 12/31 email (see sticky thread on new HD). However, I highly doubt we will see HD versions of premium networks that Dish does not have in SD. In fact, given there are 10 Showtimes carried in SD, I doubt we will see all of those.

Dish has the following premiums in SD, but not HD:
HBO2 West
MoreMax
Starz Cinema (Not yet available in HD)
Starz inBlack (Not yet available in HD)
Showtime West (Announced 12/31/08)
Showtime 2 (Announced 12/31/08)
Showtime Extreme (Announced 12/31/08)
Showtime Showcase
Showtime Beyond (Not yet available in HD)
TMC
TMC Xtra
Flix
Sundance (Not yet available in HD)

Note they are only missing 1 HBO, 1 Cinemax, and 2 Starz that aren't even HD yet. They are missing 9 Showtimes.

West cost feeds just have the same things 3 hours later. They are bandwidth wasters, and I wish Dish would eliminate them

Maybe Smithsonian was being held hostage until a deal was reached.

That was my thought when Smithsonian was yanked.

What about CBS-channel 6 in Beaumont, Tx? I sure hope that this helps fix this problem ,since they won't allow DISH to carry them over retransmission fees.

Since CBS does not own the Beaumont affiliate, no.

Is there a chance that Dish could offer CBS network nation-wide HD, like in the old days? My understanding is that a separate agreement gets around the restrictions of distant networks.

I'm pretty sure there are other laws and affiliation agreeements that would prevent a purely national CBS.

I was seriously considering dropping Showtime because with its lack of HD channels I hardly ever watch it. however, Scott indicated that Dish will launch 3 additional HD Showtime channels in 2009. If not for that I would have probably already dropped Showtime.

Dish has added multiple channels of evey other premium multiplex. Doubt Showtime would be different. in fact, they announce 3 of them in Scott's 12/31 email (see sticky thread on new HD). However, I highly doubt we will see HD versions of premium networks that Dish does not have in SD. In fact, given there are 10 Showtimes carried in SD, I doubt we will see all of those.

Dish has the following premiums in SD, but not HD:
HBO2 West
MoreMax
Starz Cinema (Not yet available in HD)
Starz inBlack (Not yet available in HD)
Showtime West (Announced 12/31/08)
Showtime 2 (Announced 12/31/08)
Showtime Extreme (Announced 12/31/08)
Showtime Showcase
Showtime Beyond (Not yet available in HD)
TMC
TMC Xtra
Flix
Sundance (Not yet available in HD)

Note they are only missing 1 HBO, 1 Cinemax, and 2 Starz that aren't even HD yet. They are missing 9 Showtimes.

West cost feeds just have the same things 3 hours later. They are bandwidth wasters, and I wish Dish would eliminate them

As far as premiums go, Dish Network is missing the following in SD:

Thrillermax, WMAX, OuterMax, @Max, Showtime Next, Showtime FamilyZone, Showtime Women, Encore's MoviePlex, RetroPlex, and IndiePlex.

I don't really care for West Coast feeds either, but its good on those times when you catch a movie halfway through, you can then catch it 3 hours later. I can see having west coast of the premium channels but not regular cable channels since their primetime programming is usually repeated at 12 mid anyways.

As far as Sundance Movies, it is now owned by Rainbow Media, the same ones who own Fuse, AMC, IFC, WE--so I look for this channel to become part of the regular packages since most cable companies has now moved that channel out of the premium tiers, furthermore, Rainbow Media offers Fuse, AMC, IFC, and WE in HD already so its just a matter of time before Sundance will be in HD.

As far as premiums go, Dish Network is missing the following in SD:

Thrillermax, WMAX, OuterMax, @Max, Showtime Next, Showtime FamilyZone, Showtime Women, Encore's MoviePlex, RetroPlex, and IndiePlex.

I don't really care for West Coast feeds either, but its good on those times when you catch a movie halfway through, you can then catch it 3 hours later. I can see having west coast of the premium channels but not regular cable channels since their primetime programming is usually repeated at 12 mid anyways.

As far as Sundance Movies, it is now owned by Rainbow Media, the same ones who own Fuse, AMC, IFC, WE--so I look for this channel to become part of the regular packages since most cable companies has now moved that channel out of the premium tiers, furthermore, Rainbow Media offers Fuse, AMC, IFC, and WE in HD already so its just a matter of time before Sundance will be in HD.

Forgot about Sundance. Thanks. Actually, there are way more Premium feeds dish lacks (or will lack when they are launched). Again, though, I dount Dish will add missing SD multiplex channels.

From The HD Not available thread (many we have, between the 2 of us mentioned):

Premium Movie Channels – 57 Channels

@Max HD
@Max West HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
5StarMax HD West (2nd Quarter 2009)
ActionMax HD West

Encore Action HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
Encore Drama HD (2nd Quarter 2009
Encore HD West
Encore Love HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
Encore Mystery HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
Encore WAM! HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
Encore Westerns HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
Flix HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Flix HD West (1st Quarter 2009)

HBO 2 West HD
HBO Comedy HD West
HBO Family HD West
HBO Latino HD West
HBO Signature HD West
HBO Zone HD West

IndiePlex HD (2nd Qtr 2009)
MoreMax HD
MoreMax West HD
MoviePlex HD (2nd Qtr 2009)
OuterMax HD
OuterMax West HD (2nd Quarter 2009)
RetroPlex HD (2nd Qtr 2009)
Showtime HD West

Showtime Beyond HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Showtime Beyond HD West (1st Quarter 2009)

Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime Extreme West HD
Showtime FamilyZone HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Showtime FamilyZone HD West (1st Quarter 2009)

Showtime Next HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Showtime Next HD West (1st Quarter 2009)

Showtime Showcase HD
Showtime Showcase West HD
Showtime 2 HD
Showtime 2 West HD
Showtime Women HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Showtime Women HD West (1st Quarter 2009)

Starz! Cinema HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Starz! Cinema West HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Starz! Comedy West HD

Starz! Edge West HD
Starz! inBlack HD (1st Quarter 2009)
Starz! inBlack HD West (1st Quarter 2009)
Starz! Kids & Family HD West

Sundance Channel HD (2009)
The Movie Channel HD
The Movie Channel West HD
The Movie Channel Xtra HD
The Movie Channel Xtra West HD
ThrillerMax HD
ThrillerMax West HD
WMax HD
WMax West HD(2nd Quarter 2009)

Even with no west coast feed, movies on premiums repeat plenty of times later on, just not 3 hours later. Redundant in the age of DVRs.

There was an article in the WSJ a couple weeks ago saying that the major networks now want a cut of the carry money that local stations are getting for DBS/Sattellite. Perhaps this is "CBS's Cut".

Is there a chance that Dish could offer CBS network nation-wide HD, like in the old days? My understanding is that a separate agreement gets around the restrictions of distant networks.
That's what it made think too, Dish as a "super affiliate." The prospect of an alternative to the affiliate system that prevents viewer choice has me so giddy I'm afraid it makes me think I'm misreading it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts