Dish Network/directv will downconvert HD signals until 2010-2013,

GOHAWKS, it's my opinion that Dish still needs to negotiate a carriage agreement with the stations in order to carry the digital channels instead of the currently carried analog stations. Then again, it almost sounds like they simply get the digital channels under the terms that they currently get the analogs they're carrying, except they have to down-rez them. I really don't know (yet).....

They do get the digital channels automatically on the same contract as the analog channels once they are turned off. Not all digital channels will be down-rez, just some not all of the ones in HD.

Maybe it would be cheaper in the long run for Dish to upgrade all receivers to MPEG-4 capable than to launch all the new satellites necessary to provide the bandwidth for this new mandate. If everyone who wanted locals were upgraded to an MPEG-4 capable unit, even a lower cost one like the 211, they would not need to duplicate locals in SD and HD.

The question that I have is whether this is a uplink thing or a downlink thing.

If it is an uplink issue (or intended to force HD carriage agreements), this is a good thing.

If this is a downlink issue, one might reason that those who receive SD LIL will have to "upgrade" to an MPEG4 capable receiver.

If you can pick your local TV stations OTA set up an antenna.

You will get full resolution and a bunch of sub-channels DISH will never carry.

lowdown

Comcast could also use this as an advertising campaign and say it is required to follow stricter rules about quality. Also say the sat companies can and do legally degrade the quality. The various details are just that... details. Maybe it would be true or maybe not. But it still could net in more subscribers. Probably not that many but every little bit helps.

They could ask for waivers. But they could also go to court in such a way as to make it seem that the sat companies should be subjected to the same rules. They would likely lose but might make for some decent public relations. Cant hurt.

Comcast could also use this as an advertising campaign and say it is required to follow stricter rules about quality. Also say the sat companies can and do legally degrade the quality. The various details are just that... details. Maybe it would be true or maybe not. But it still could net in more subscribers. Probably not that many but every little bit helps.
My comcast still hooks up HD DVRs with RF connections. Hard to advertise superior quality when downconverting to RF channel 3!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)