Dish Network...Does it suck?

Dual mode with recording default set to tuner 2 works great for me. Feeding the main set in the LR off tuner 1 with HD, then 3 remote sets for occasional use on tuner 2. For the MBR we have a single tuner 508 which can also see tuner 2 on the 622. Works well for me at the moment.

Dual mode with recording default set to tuner 2 works great for me. Feeding the main set in the LR off tuner 1 with HD, then 3 remote sets for occasional use on tuner 2. For the MBR we have a single tuner 508 which can also see tuner 2 on the 622. Works well for me at the moment.

Woah! Thank you all for the replies!!

I think I've gleaned what I need. I wanted to double check with dlsnyder that if I'm in Dual Mode with the default set to tuner 2, if tuner 2 (which I assume is tv 2) is recording something, then the channel can't be changed without stopping the recording, right?
TV2 is watched alot.

One person who replied put it well, in that I wasn't told what I was getting when switching nor did I do the research to know what I was getting----I just assumed I was switching an apple for an apple.

Thanks again everyone....

savery,
One important thing you didn't mention. There are two important numbers to consider for an advanced DVR and backfeed to other TVs in the house.

1. How many TVs?
2. How many people?

In my case, there are four TVs but only two people in the house. A single ViP622 in single mode (most of the time) works fine for us because typically we are in the same room watching the same, be it OTA, satellite channel or DVR events. Plus it is more convenient with the DVR events, you don't have to be at a specific TV to watch. In modulator setup you can send both TV1 and TV2 signal to the remote TVs on different channels.

If there are more people in the house, chances are they want to watch different things so either run the receiver in dual mode with its inherent limitations (when recording on TV2, they can't change the channel but can watch recorded events) or use multiple receivers.

By the way my answer to the thread title Dish Network...Does it suck? Maybe, but for different reasons than dual-output receivers.

Does it suck?? Hell yes it sucks.. So does Alltel, Qwest, and the electric company... If I had DTV they'd suck too, and well as ATT or Cingular if I had them..

The grass always seems greener, but I've had Dish for 10 years off and on and personally don't like DTV. Just realize that whatever or whoever you choose for any service, it's not taylor-made for you and there will be things you dislike no matter what.. Take the lesser of the evils and go with it.

Woah! Thank you all for the replies!!

I think I've gleaned what I need. I wanted to double check with dlsnyder that if I'm in Dual Mode with the default set to tuner 2, if tuner 2 (which I assume is tv 2) is recording something, then the channel can't be changed without stopping the recording, right?
TV2 is watched alot.

Yes, if you are recording something on TV2 (or TV1 for that matter) and you try to change the channel you will be prompted to confirm your choice. This could also happen in single mode if you happened to be recording two shows at the same time. You may have also seen this on your old DirecTV DVR. The ViP622 receiver is not all that different functionally from the DirecTV DVR, with the exception that the two tuners can work independently and feed two separate televisions in dual mode. In single mode it works much the way you would expect your old DVR to. I am sure others will disagree as there are significant interface differences, but both boxes are designed to basically do the same thing. My preference is for the ViP622 because of the dual mode capability. Additionally the ViP622 has a digital OTA tuner for your broadcast digital locals, something that the DirecTV DVR lacks. This allows you to record three separate programs while watching two recorded programs on two separate TVs if you so choose. I haven't tried it but I know the box can handle it.

I have been with Dish Network for 7 years now and been a member here and on other similar sites for most of that time. Over the years the pros and cons of Dish Network vs. DirecTV have been argued ad nauseum. For my money Dish Network is the better service - and the ViP622 is the better receiver. What Dish Network will do with it in the future is open for debate. They have shown that they CAN offer a sort of IPTV service, but whether or not they will do anything useful with it is not certain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)